Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 1:26:53 PM EDT
I can't be the only Mak lover here? If you haven't got one yet, you need one.  For around 100-150.00 you can get a great pistol that is both historical and practical.  I have owned a Bulgarian, an E. German, and a Russian hi-cap.   Once you shoot one, you will fall in love with it.  Accuracy that exceeds most full size military handguns, simplicity in design, tons of aftermarket accessories, easily slicked up actions, compactness, and lots of cheap surplus ammo to be had; the Makarov has it all.  Your collection of handguns is not complete with out one!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one......yet. But I have a friend, that collects them, looking for an E. German model for me. They are sweet guns. Small & compact, yet very shootable.

Jamie
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
hehe, I'm glad they finnaly added a mak forum. I love the mak but I can't own one till I turn 21 later this year :(
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to worry, there are alot of makarovniks here.  I never pass up a good deal on a pistolet makarova (especially an e. german), especially since most gun shop folks don't know how to price them correctly. -websensei
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with everything you said guns762. Mine is a Russian Makarov and it's very accurate, reliable, and the trigger is oh so sweeeeeet. I'm looking for a E German or Bulgarian for the right price. I just gotta have one with fixed sights to add to my collection.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Mak's are great I have an  E. German I picked up
for 95 Dollars an it is one of the most accurate
pistol's that I have.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Where did you find an E German Makarov for $95?
I want one!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mak's are great I have an  E. German I picked up
for 95 Dollars an it is one of the most accurate
pistol's that I have.

You stole that, man.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
OK..just bought the Mak 9x18 today, gotta wait until friday to pick it up. Where is a good source for aftermarket goodies? I'd like new grips for starters.

I love the trigger pull on it. I won't get to shoot it until Saturday, soooo I thought I would buy some "tested and tried" add-ons...any suggestions?

What ammo works best? BTW, it said "European" Mak on the store box. I asked the clerk was it a Bulgy, E. German etc...he did not know but was going to let me know. Oh yeah...out the door cost was $145.

Thanks for your opinions,
NAKED
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Naked, try www.makarovpistol.com for accessories.  You probably got a bulgarian or a russian commercial.  If you got a russian military or east german makarov, you made out like a bandit!  

Anyway, be sure to inspect, clean the gun and give it 500 rounds to break in with fmj before thinking about a feed ramp polish or trigger job.  You may not even need it.  Look for LVE fmj, S&B or any other quality 9x18 makarov fmj round at ammoman.com or dansammo.com or a local gun show. Later on, try Barnaul jhp rounds for your makarov.  Enjoy, websensei
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a mak .380 real cool gun . Like a dumd A$$
I sold it.

I get another one soon!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OK..just bought the Mak 9x18 today, gotta wait until friday to pick it up. Where is a good source for aftermarket goodies? I'd like new grips for starters.

Thanks for your opinions,
NAKED

Try Pierce grips.  You will love them.  The grips for the 8 shot guns are better and softer than the grips for the Hi-cap guns, but both make a world of difference in the grip of the Makarov.  
If you decide the trigger could be better; you should be able to do it yourself, easily.  I like the S&B ammo.  Good velocity, I think 1058fps is what I chronographed, and reloadable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got an E.G. Mak, second purchase made with my C&R, bought it from Aim inc, for $150.00 What a deal!!Only things I've changed on it and I'd highly reccomend, A. recoil spring, went to a wolfe 19# thinking of getting a 21#,This change made made a big improvement, recoil alot less snappy, B. changed out mag springs, replaced with Wolfe 10% stronger mag springs both mags now 100% reliable, before one had weak spring and would jam on last 2 rounds, new springs cured that, C. Perice grips  What an improvement over stock grips!! Anyone who's shot the stock grips and then changed to Perice, knows what I mean..  Springs don't cost much and make a big improvement, and are easily installed, stronger recoil springs will keep the frame of your gun from getting beaten up,Stock spring are often not the best quality, check out  www.gunsprings.com that's Wolfe's site they've got springs for Maks and just about anything else!
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hehe, I'm glad they finnaly added a mak forum. I love the mak but I can't own one till I turn 21 later this year :(

If you cant wait, I'll give you some of my years...that would make us both 36. Too bad ya cant find someone to "hold" it till then. The Ruskis' I had were excellent and more accurate than they had a right to be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a big fan of my dad's Baikal.

The day I'm 21 I'm byuing a Makarov or a CZ-52.

Gotta love the WarPac guns...
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a big fan of my dad's Baikal.
The day I'm 21 I'm byuing a Makarov or a CZ-52.

I recommend the CZ-52....seriously.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
When AIM was selling the EG Maks for $139 I bought three of them.  I still have two.  I can't believe these were going for so little money.

I feel kind of bad for the collectors who once paid seriously high prices for the relatively few Vietnam-era examples that made it over here, not to mention the ammo - $10 a round!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
When the Maks first hit our shores (thanks to the iron curtain coming down), I remember reading an article about Makarovs in a magazine, I think it was American Rifleman. IIRC, it said that some collectors had paid as much as $1000 for Makarovs from Eastern Bloc countries.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Love my EG Mak. Didn't get it for $150.00 but close. Ain't C&R great. Now for a Russian.

The onky thing I dislike about my Mak is that it's so damn heavy. It must weigh twice what my SiG 230 weighs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I still havent seen any phone numbers or web addressses for the people who want to buy the MAKs.... please post some sites or #'s that are selling them for cheap !! I am looking to buy a Makarov, HELP !!
I want to buy one in 9x18 and good-excellent condition. I want to know the specs on them (weight and dimensions) and what you all think about them. I hear tons of bad and ood on them. ALSO, can someone help me find one in the country for the best price?? (let me know where you got yours and for how much) What is the best country of manufacture? THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE INFO GUYS !!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Yzingerr,

You will want to look at Makarov.com, for all of your questions and research.  
S.O.G. International had Bulgarians for 109.00, and are still advertising them, but I'm not sure if they have any.  A few weeks ago they were out.  Try searching GunsAmerica.com, or Gunbroker.com; they usually have a few for sale. The bugies are not C&R, so they will have to go through the FFL.

As for country of origin.  Most will tell you that bugies are not as "polished", lots of machine marks, but the cheapest-110-175?.  Both Arsenal(commercial), and Military available.  Military versions more expensive.

E. German-nicest bluing, triggers usually the smoothest, but that's from the use.  Very few machine marks.  Cost around 200.00???-250?  I'm not sure anymore on the value.  Someone else needs to help with that.

Commercial Russians.  Nicer than Bulgies, not as smooth as E.G.s.   Harder to find.  Available in Hi-cap versions.  Cost?-250-300?  Again, not entirely sure on that.

Military Russians-rare Expensive! 350 to 400? The 400 might be pushing it a little.

There are also rare Chinese variants.  But you will need to ask an expert about them.  I just know they exist and are expensive.

What's the best?  They all work! Period.  I like the looks of the E.G.s.  Very nice triggers.  My favorite is my Hi cap Russian.  I polished the trigger to a satin smooth pull with a crisp let off.  Nice adjustable sights(just don't lose the parts!).  I keep putting off buying another Bulgie, but I may have talked my self into another one.  Try the bulgie first and see if you like the gun.  You will, then start looking for the more expensive versions.

BTW, I paid 99 for the EG, 110 for the Hi cap Russian, and 90 for the first Bulgie.  But that was several years ago......

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I still havent seen any phone numbers or web addressses for the people who want to buy the MAKs.... please post some sites or #'s that are selling them for cheap !! I am looking to buy a Makarov, HELP !!
I want to buy one in 9x18 and good-excellent condition. I want to know the specs on them (weight and dimensions) and what you all think about them. I hear tons of bad and ood on them. ALSO, can someone help me find one in the country for the best price?? (let me know where you got yours and for how much) What is the best country of manufacture? THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE INFO GUYS !!!

You won't be able to buy one from a company. They're not on the California approved list. You'll need to find a private sale in state and work through a FFL there in CA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top