Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 7:13:53 AM EDT
I shot my friends PA63 (yeah I know not a real Mak) and man I hate that thing.  It stung the crap out of my hand every shot.heI don't want to buy one if it is not fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
A "real" Mak is a joy to shoot.  A bit snappy but comfy enough to shoot all day long.

Comparing the PA63's shooting characteristics to a Makarov's is akin to comparing an apple with an orange.  They are nothing alike.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you need to go try a real one.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Well what model would you suggest I try?  Any that are stand outs above the rest?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I shot my friends PA63 (yeah I know not a real Mak) and man I hate that thing.  It stung the crap out of my hand every shot. I like the power and the size of the pistols, for a CCW, but are there any that are at least comfortable to shoot say 50 or 75 rounds at a time?  
I don't want to buy one if it is not fun to shoot.

Get the Hogue handall - it will make a huge difference in the comfort while firing.
Would you rather have an underpowered .380 (9x17mm) that doesn't kick?

Man Up, or get a woman's pistol.

The Comm block 9x18mm pistols (FEG PA63, Radom P64, Makarovs) are typically ugly and uncomfortable, that is why they are cheap. The Russian, E. German and Bulgy Maks are the "real" Maks and more comfortable to shoot, but they are also larger and  harder to conceal. The PA63 and P64 are not Makarovs and are really more like Walther PPK clones than Pistolet Makarova, but chambered in 9x18mm "Makarov" hence the misconception. Having much smaller grips and shorter barrels, they tend to "Bite" your hand more, but the tradeoff is worth it for the smaller CCW package, IMO.

They are also supremely reliable, compact and easy to carry concealed, and the 9x18mm Makarov cartridge packs a punch in the Hornady personal defense load, moreso than .380. It's not quite 9x19mm, but in a +P load, you can get close. Find me a small 9x19mm as cheap and reliable as the Makarov, and I'll buy it!

I carry a P64 as CCW when I need a slim profile CCW, and it works great. 500 rounds through it, zero malfunctions.

Seriously, try the handall, it makes a day and night difference. Best addition I ever made to a $129 pistol. Made me love my little P64, and it kicks worse than the PA63. And the P64 is WAY more compact than my XD subcompact, much slimmer and more comfortable.

BTW if it's for CCW, "fun to shoot" should not be your primary consideration. Things like concealability, reliability and lethality are more important. When you shoot a perp at close range you will not notice that your hand is stinging, only whether or not you are still alive.  although it is also true you also need to be comfortable with the weapon, and develop good muscle memory.

Just my $0.02 cents worth.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a real Russian, East German, or Bulgarian Makarov and you will be able to shoot all day in comfort. Pearce makes rubber grips for real Makarovs that are very comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Do all Makarovs suck ??  

um....okay...lol

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Do all Makarovs suck.....

I put Pearce grips on mine and it is a pleasure to shoot. By current standards it's a bit large for the caliber and that really keeps down the felt recoil.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my Bulgy. Pleasant to shoot and accurate as can be.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
A PA63 is not a mak.

edit: EG'63 owner here. Damn nice gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A PA63 is not a mak.

edit: EG'63 owner here. Damn nice gun.

And gaining in value as they become harder to find
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#11]
>>A bit snappy but comfy<<

Ah, but that's one of the things I like about it!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Personally I don't like anything that isn't a properly built military handgun.

The REAL makarovs are stout little guns that are manueverable and fairly accurate..

I personally prefer a medium trigger weight both DA and SA.... both pulls are very deliberate and the DA pull isn't TOO long while the SA pull isn't too short or light. The safety work in a Push up for Safe and click down for fire... I can easily flip the safety off without changing my grip using just my thumb and my Mak is a 2 owner unissued Bulgarian.

I shoot my makarov well and I think it will be one of those guns I never sell because

A. It's my first pistol
B. It's the first handgun I ever shot
C. It's cheap to feed and is an effective bedside defense tool with it's manual safety heavy trigger pulls

I have two mags of self defense Hornady 9X18 in a mag that lives on my bedside table with the Makarov.

That said my groups look like buckshot at anything beyond 17 feet but that's mostly because I'm a new shooter.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That said my groups look like buckshot at anything beyond 17 feet but that's mostly because I'm a new shooter.

Must be - with their fixed barrel the Makarovs tend to be quite accurate.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my REAL mak (a Bulgy).  a GREAT little pistol at a GREAT bargain!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Do all Mak's suck?  I don't know.  Are all of your questions this stupid?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Shut up willy it was just a question.
Your reply in no way helps anyone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Shut up willy it was just a question.
Your reply in no way helps anyone.

Perhaps Will, like me, misunderstood the question.

Correct me where i'm wrong:

You basically said you shot a gun which you admitted wasn't a mak, then asked why all makarovs sucked.

Maybe you can explain where your question made sense?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
No I did not ask "why all makarovs sucked"  I asked "do they all suck"

I am very interested in these weapons, and would like to know if the REAL ones are better to shoot than this Hungarian PA-63 that my friend has.

Some people here have given me some good information and recommendations, and I appreciate that.   I wrote the subject line that way because I knew it would get a lot of attention, and I would get a lot of info.  
Other people just read into it what they want, don't actually understand what the question is and write some crap that doesn't help anyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top