Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2011 6:49:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting.......like the PLFs off the back of the pickup.

CD
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Other than the two pictures being shown one after another, I see nothing to show that the Mak is a BB gun.

I am wondering if the target is from a 22 rifle or similar.

Is there something somewhere that says it is a BB gun?

BTW, don't take this as me calling you out as full of shit, I just am not familiar with a Mak BB gun
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The slide reads Cal 4.5mm (BB) and going by the model number I'm sure its a air pistol.

CD
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, apparently, my eyes suck
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one ages ago. They do indeed fire BBs, but I seem to recall it had a rifled barrel, so the Gamo lead BBs are the ones to shoot; I think it also had a few issues with lead BBs, but many pistols do that aren't designed for them. Steel BBs will wear the rifling. Baikal, the company that made them, also produces live firing Maks - the CO2 pistols are very well made.

I was told they were banned from U.S import due to being capable of a conversion to live fire; it sounded very odd to me, particularly given the real thing is cheap and available. Baikal also make one which fires gas or rubber bullets - illegal here of course, but many are converted to live fire and are probably the most common weapon in criminal use; if you care to search, there are various images in the media of them, usually with a suppressor.

Another odd thing: Baikal recommend storing with a CO2 cartridge fitted, something very uncommon with CO2 pistols - it usually rots the seals. I would often hear of owners having seals go wrong, they didn't store it charged.

Link Posted: 4/18/2011 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
DO WANT!
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Sportsman's Guide currently offers a version of this for ~$60;

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=545629

Sorry, I don't do the hot linky thing too well.

IIRC ATF's problem with the early imports was that the Russians converted actual working Maks into airguns and that the frame required very little effort to convert back to a cartridge firing firearm.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, story goes that Co2 Maks are made with actual 9mm parts.

I do have one, here it is.

Possibly the best built co2 gun out there as far as build quality.

-Earlier models used milled out actual 9mm slides, trigger groups and frames.

My own MP654k shows a cast steel slide specifically made for Co2 - no tooling marks -

but frame, trigger, trigger bar/disco are possibly genuine items.

The barrel retaining ring on the frame has been milled such as not to accept a larger dia. barrel.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one ages ago. They do indeed fire BBs, but I seem to recall it had a rifled barrel, so the Gamo lead BBs are the ones to shoot; I think it also had a few issues with lead BBs, but many pistols do that aren't designed for them. Steel BBs will wear the rifling. Baikal, the company that made them, also produces live firing Maks - the CO2 pistols are very well made.

Mine will only shoot Gamo BBs single load- the problem is that the diameter is too large to function properly with the magazine. I ran a few (literally) steel BBs through it and they did function. I found some German made lead BBs that were intended for parlour pistols which spec the same nominal diameter as steel BBs. I need to try some of those. The pistols are well made indeed. I bought an IJ70 and they are nearly identical side-by-side....in some regards, the quality on my Baikal (some of the mechanics) may even be slightly better than the real deal. I was lucky- when I bought mine 6 years ago, I paid $125- and felt like I was getting taken....a couple of years earlier, Compasseco had been selling them for $99 new. I have seen them sell for 3x+ what I paid, in comparable condition, in recent years. I have been very impressed with how accurate they are for being CO2 plinkers (though I have only shot ~100 or so shots through mine).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top