Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 7:04:41 PM EDT
Hi guys.  I want one.

My problem is...I've never seen one in any store I have ever gone into here in <spit> Jersey </spit>...ever.

I know they are an acquired taste, and getting ammo is problematical.  I also know that those who have them love 'em, they work every time, and they are accurate.

The only way I will be able to own one is to buy on the internet.  I see Bulgarians offered pretty cheap, and Russians offered at twice the Bulgarian.  In any event, I will have to go the Jersey route of transfering thru my local gun shop (Jersey does not even recognize C&Rs).  I'm willing to do this, and I'm willing to get any gunsmithing done.

I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL with auctions.

So...where's a good place to get Maks.  I've looked at makarov.com.  Is there anywhere else?  Is a Russian or Polish Mak that much better than a Bulgarian.  I can get anything tweaked and/or refinished, after all.

Thanx Guys

With your advice I hope to be posting pretty pictures soon.

Update:

Got her...check out the pictures and range report  below....

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
This is THE place:

www.aimsurplus.com

"Polish" Makarovs are not REAL makarovs.

The Bulgarian is the best bang for the buck, best price out there that I know of. Second in quality only to the East German.

Ammo can be ordered from

www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

Great price, get the JHP for $5 more per 500 and practice with what you carry, it's a pretty good carry round.

I can't say enough good about the Maks!! I need more. I carry mine everyday, and I trust it's reliability 100%!! You will not be disappointed.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my Russian Makarov about 15 years ago chambered for .380 and I love it. Never had any trouble with it and no problems getting ammo.

CW
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanx Guys...I'll post a picture in a week or two.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I've got my signed FFL, the money, and my evil New Jersey Purchase Permit in hand.

The holiday is screwing things up a bit, but I should have the beast by next week.  So many choices, it seems everyone carries these things.

Bert
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Here she be....

And the other side...

Looks pretty sweet...an Arsenal rebuild.  Even "She who must be obeyed" thought it was nice looking.  It'll get delayed by the holiday, but should be at the dealer by the middle of next week.  

Including shipping and fees (but not the $15 Brady charge in NJ) it was $215.

I'll let you know how it shoots.  I could get into these things.  Heck, the last Kimber I bought would pay for 4 or 5 of these.

Now I can post on the Mak forum as well as the Kimber, Smith, Walther, and Luger forums.   Sweeeet!

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You should have picked up 2.  That way "She who must be obeyed" can have her own.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I expect I will have to buy more of these...assuming it lives up to its rep.  One of my sons is a PPK freak but will be lusting for this one as soon as he sees it.  10 times the gun at one tenth the price...(I've never been a PPK fan).

I do however like how people "custom up" these guns with coatings, grips, and sights.  I know you would never get your money back, but I have no plans on selling it...I still own guns I was given when 14 years old.  A nice matt grey, cocobolo grips, and white dot sights....Mmmmmmm.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is THE place:

www.aimsurplus.com

"Polish" Makarovs are not REAL makarovs.

The Bulgarian is the best bang for the buck, best price out there that I know of. Second in quality only to the East German.

Ammo can be ordered from

www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

Great price, get the JHP for $5 more per 500 and practice with what you carry, it's a pretty good carry round.

I can't say enough good about the Maks!! I need more. I carry mine everyday, and I trust it's reliability 100%!! You will not be disappointed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

+1 on Aimsurplus, I got a Mak from them last month and am happy with it. These are Century imports and have their "brand" on the slide that some people don't like, but it doesn't bother me. They have cheap shipping also, called me to make sure it was alright to ship 1 day later and it would only be $11.00 instead of $35.00. OK by me. This was my second purchase from AIM ( I got a SAR 2 a year ago) am both were good experiances.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, it showed up in my hot little hands today...absolutely beautiful.  I was too busy to shoot it today, but soon (Oh yeah).  Took a picture....

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#10]
bjbarron,

You did good!! Congrats!! You are going to encounter HUGE problems now though. You will want to buy another... but it won't stop there, I assure you. These are awesome little guns. If you haven't shot it yet I will tell you that you will most likely want to get another grip for it, most people hate those ones.

My Bulgarian Mak is as well made and reliable as my Glock. The only downside to these guns is the underpowered round. Still, it could be worse and at least the ammo is cheap and easy to get over the web and many gun stores.

Let us know how you like it. One more thing you MAY consider is getting a stronger recoil spring. I bought a 19 pound spring for mine to replace the standard 17 pounder... They are suppose to preserve your guns frame and even make it more reliable. Many guys even get 21 pound springs. You can order them from www.makarov.com!!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweeeeet!

Range Report....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are getting double shots on your Mak chances are that it has to do with the sear spring. My brother in law had this same issue with his Mak. Many other people I know have had the same issue and it has always been the sear spring, make sure it is connected on both ends.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]
To: Col Sanders

Good plan, I need to strip this puppy down to bare bones...I was too hot to shoot it this past weekend to do more than field strip and clean it.  I will check that out...fortunately I can pick up parts if I need them at Makarov.com quickly and cheaply.  I've got Wolff springs for the recoil and mags coming already.  

To: Mbsk01

No, I got it from a forum member at Gunboards...  A collector, he is divesting himself of commercial models and concentrating on the military.

The entire transaction lasted from a money order sent on Friday to the gun being delivered at my FFL dealer on Wenesday...and this even over the holiday.  I was very satisfied with the transaction and the pistol.

One of my boys has already screamed 'dibs', so I need to get another one for me.  I think I'm going with one from Dans.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
You did well with your Bulgie. I hear the grips are terrible and I can only advise you to look for a pair of grips similar to the ones on my Bulgie Mak. I am sorry but I do not know where I got them but the grips are great! Yes, before you ask, those are Novak Night sights and it was hard chromed by Virgil Tripp. It wasn't cheap but my Bulgie Mak is a one of a kind to me. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow....

One of my sons has screamed 'dibs' on my Mak already, so I'm in the market for another.   The idea of a one-of-a-kind Mak is exactly what I want to do with the next one (or three) that I get.

Really Beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#17]
They are awesome guns. Like I said, they are addicting. There is a guy on Glocktalk that has like 13 of them and is still looking for more!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top