Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 12:38:19 PM EDT
I've got a very early 1920's commercial Bolo, before they put the Mauser stamp on the left-side plate above the trigger.

It's missing the extractor, has a broken magazine spring, the barrel is shot out, and it needs refinished (it's currently parkerized by the previous owner).

I found a source for magazine springs. I found a source for a new extractor, but they sell two varieties: an old model, and a new model that is slightly shorter. I don't know which one my Bolo uses.

I'm also looking for someone, preferably in Texas, who can reline the barrel so it's rifled again (I'd like to keep it in 7.63 Mauser rather than "upgrade" to 9mm) and refinish the pistol in something similar to the original bluing.

Anybody able to hook me up?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the long extractor is for early models through approx 1915 - all others use the shorter extractor.

Can't help you on the re-line, sorry.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would shoot Mitchell's Mausers an e-mail & ask them about your re-lining query. Not that they will do it, but they may know someone whom can.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I'm 90% certain my Bolo takes the new, shorter extractor. Thanks guys. If I can get some cash soon, I'll be able to get my Mauser running (though highly inaccurate thanks to the bore being shot out) and be able to fire what is probably the world's only parkerized Mauser c96.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Oysterbay industries use to do a bunch of broomhandles back in the 90's. You can look them up and see if they are still around. They refinshed and rebarreled tons of broom handles. I have one myself and they did a pretty good job with it. I went with the 9mm version on my late model and it shoots well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The Broom Closet in Florida ( I believe it is FL) has a good reputation for doing relining. A Google search should bring up their info...
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Broom Closet in Florida ( I believe it is FL) has a good reputation for doing relining. A Google search should bring up their info...
The Broom Closet; aka 'The Gun Rack' was in Brooksville, FL., they've been OB for some time now.

Link Posted: 12/10/2008 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Broom Closet; aka 'The Gun Rack' was in Brooksville, FL., they've been OB for some time now.

Sorry to hear that, they were a good company.
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can get a hold of Ted Green of Teds Strawing service. He does wonderful restoration work. Unfortunately he is getting up in years and has a huge backlog.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Have you ever used this company before? are they reliable?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have you ever used this company before? are they reliable?

I found that site while googling for barrel relining services. The price seems fair for 7.63 Mauser, but I've never found anyone who actually used their services. I don't know what kind of quality they turn out or how reliable they are.

I want this thing to have a BEAUTIFUL blued finish. How do I do that without paying out the nose?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad info, I just had them re-spring a Broom for me. They are in Starke FL, now. 904-964-5053.
They also do an excellent job restoring the historical finish on pre-WWII guns.

For info, you should check out the best C-96 website, www.1896mauser.com
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm looking at this thing and thinking the bore ISN'T shot out. I think the idiot Bubba that owned it before me parkerized the inside of the barrel too.

Now how the heck am I gonna get THAT stripped back down to the bare metal?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Is your gun a parts matching gun?  My C30 is a mix-matched gun that has some sort of chinese symbols marked on the side and I'm going to have the gun bored out to 9mm because the cost difference in the ammunition alone will pay for the conversion.  

You bore may not have been parkerized as much of the old 7.62 mauser ammo was corrosive.  The barrel on mine is so shot out that it keyholes at seven yards!  I'm just happy that the gun cycles the ammuniton and I don't have to hunt any parts down so far.  Remember that if you do keep it a 30 cal mauser, don't use any of the tokorev ammo as it's loaded too hot for your old girl.  The brass, however is suitable for reloding though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]
just incase.......

if any of you guys have a 9mm convert that you would like to sell let me know,  matching numbers is not importent to me if the price is right as i am just looking for a shooter
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is your gun a parts matching gun?  My C30 is a mix-matched gun that has some sort of chinese symbols marked on the side and I'm going to have the gun bored out to 9mm because the cost difference in the ammunition alone will pay for the conversion.  

You bore may not have been parkerized as much of the old 7.62 mauser ammo was corrosive.  The barrel on mine is so shot out that it keyholes at seven yards!  I'm just happy that the gun cycles the ammuniton and I don't have to hunt any parts down so far.  Remember that if you do keep it a 30 cal mauser, don't use any of the tokorev ammo as it's loaded too hot for your old girl.  The brass, however is suitable for reloding though.

AIM Surplus has 7.63 Mauser for $15 a box of 50. Seems affordable to me.

I've also been well aware of the pressure difference between 7.63 Mauser and 7.62 Tokarev for several years now (I own a CZ-52 and do my research.). There IS some 7.62 Tokarev ammo that is safe to use in the Mauser, but as a general rule it's a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad info, I just had them re-spring a Broom for me. They are in Starke FL, now. 904-964-5053.

I stand corrected - Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
One I restored.  Thor from Ted's Luger Strawing Service

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Ted good to see your still going strong! May have a Luger to send to you soon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Try to schedule sending it in just before summer April/May time frame.  My output seems to increase in the warm months and I usually take in a few then.  THANKS for the kind words.  I do Lugers and P.38s Too for those that are not aware it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2009 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Tag -

Need to have my C96 repaired and re-finished.
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#22]
yeha I have one too that needs some rear work.  I just want it shoot something I could care what it is .

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Try to schedule sending it in just before summer April/May time frame.  My output seems to increase in the warm months and I usually take in a few then.  THANKS for the kind words.  I do Lugers and P.38s Too for those that are not aware it.
http://members.rennlist.org/lugerman/Wombat2.jpg
http://members.rennlist.org/lugerman/P38Post2.jpg
http://members.rennlist.org/lugerman/HC1900AEA2R.jpg

So what would it cost to get my Mauser cleaned up, refinished, and the parts replaced? I just checked my source of parts and they still have magazine springs, but no extractors.

Also, would you happen to know if Bolos were all 7.63mm, or were some of them 9mm? I'm not sure what caliber mine is and can't be bothered to dig it out of the safe to find out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always had a thing for Broomhandle Mausers, and THAT is a gorgeous one!

- AG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top