Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2021 6:42:55 PM EDT

I’ve looked around a bit and can’t figure out what I have here.

It’s a Mauser P38 BYF 44 ... but no serial number.

I can’t find any mention of BYF44 guns without serials anywhere.

The frame is way more copper looking in photos than in person, but it is different than another Mauser P38 I have here.

Any thoughts? Help us much appreciated!

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of unfinished guns were taken as war trophies after WWII. Some factories re opened assembling guns for the GI's to take home. I think yours is one of them, note the marking on the take down lever is seen on post war P1 pistols.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
So, I had heard a similar story about this.

There were some post war guns made when they weren't actually allowed to make them. Which is why there would be no serial. However.... I'll have to check this gun and see if it has proof marks. If it does, both stories are questionable as they were questionably made then went to a proof house anyhow? Seems odd.

I'll have to probably start looking for an expert on these to ask.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask here http://p38forum.com/forums/index.php unfortunately a guy who was a great wealth of knowledge on P-38's passed a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Update, I asked at P38forum and got decent answers and a few offers to buy it.

It's PROBABLY a cigarette gun. As the allies were entering Germany, parts were shipped around, things were chaotic, the gun smiths working at the factories were building guns to sell to the Allies for supplies. Many had hand fitted parts like the take down lever. This takedown lever is post-war, something that someone put there probably to replace the ugly handmade lever. Too bad I don't have that as the gun is worth more with it for history sake.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top