Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2002 6:16:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The cheap Chinese Bolo Mausers are indeed available, although often mismatched and in poor shape.
A German commercial or military model is by far a better gun.
Nice ones seem to run about 500-600 and up. Way up.

These fired corrosive ammo, so check the chambers and barrels closely for pitting.
Also, the main springs, firing pin spring, and bolt retaining pin should be replaced before firing these guns. Failure to do so could cause a nasty accident, as only the springs and that retaining pin dissuade the bolt from flying back and hitting you.
They usually also need a mag spring as well.
The caliber is not .30 Luger, but is .30 Mauser.
This is NOT Tokarov ammo, but is sometimes confused with it.
.30 Mauser can be had through Sellier and Bellot, and a few other manufacturers, I believe.
The original 9mm Para Broomhandles were only made for a brief time in WW1, but many have since been rechambered to this much more available caliber.
I prefer 9mm, as it is easy, and common, but the .30 Mauser ammo is superior ballistically.
Stripper clips are available, will fit either caliber, and are a neccessity, as otherwise, the bolt slams home on your fingers when the follower is depressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, Aimless, I have been out of town.
A grand for a nice matched German WW1 or commercial C-96 is not bad, if the condition is nice.
Would be even better if it had it's original wood holster/stock, of course.
Here's a good web site for reference:
www.northwest-denture.com/mauser1896/pe8.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top