Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 4:51:41 PM EDT
I'm a Glock-trained shooter who would really love a single-stack .45.   Does the LDA trigger lend itself to being carried with the safety off, or is it too light?

If it is too light, are there any replacement springs available that can make it similiar to something like a Kahr trigger?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The most ergonomically designed and ideally placed thumb safety in the entire history of semi-automatic pistols should be a problem learning to master.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
EVERY time I pick up a 1911 to shoot a drill, I forget to take the safety off, and pull the trigger first.  That's not acceptable for a defensive arm.  And yes, I could retrain, but if I don't have to, I won't.  If I remember right, there were some statistics that came out of the LAPD SWAT switch to Kimbers, that quoted something like 80 hours on average.

Anyway, that doesn't answer my question.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a new out of the box (no trigger work) LDA 7 45 and 25 years on as a city police officer and DA investigator. I wouldn't consider carring such a lite pull trigger with the safety off.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Opinions are like @ss holes... everyone has one.

Kahr trigger?  How many pounds is that?  If it's like the Sigs or what I'm thinking (as I have only played w/a  Kahr once), I say that's way to heavy.

I like my LDA as is.  I have shot other DA guns, as I have a Sig P220 and Glock 21.  I like the constant trigger pull of the Glock.  The DA on the P220 is heavy in my opinion, but the SA pull is "okay".  The LDA is well, the comprimise I say.  Constant pull like a Glock, every time, unlike a true DA-heavy on first, lighter on follow ups.  The LDA is closer to a Glock trigger weight, but a longer travel.

The LDA trigger has to travel .XX" inch to go off.  What kind of carry would lend the trigger to be in a situation where it could be touched or pushed back to go off?  For Christ sakes, the grip safety still works you know.....

I carry a LDA like I carry a Glock.  Keep my finger off the trigger until it is clear of the holster.  Are you worried that it will go off during reholstering?  Well, watch it then.

I've carried regular 1911's also.  I had it chambered, but not cocked and locked.  (The 1911 cocked and locked is a long, long debate and old).  I would just cock it w/ the thumb on the draw.  Is it right, probably not.  That is why I like my LDA.  It's ready to go just like a Glock and has safety IF you want to use it.  

If you have a chance, go rent an LDA at a range and see for your self.  As I said, opinions are like @ass holes, everyone has one....(call me blunt).
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the opinions, everyone.  It looks like the only way I'll be able to tell is with some "hand-time", and try to take an LDA through most of the regular holstering operations and try some different failure modes.

For the record, the Kahr is pretty light, maybe 6-8 lbs, and is nowhere near as heavy as a sig (10-12lbs) or a revolver.  Like the LDA, its pull is constant and smooth, and does not have a short reset like the Glock, which sort of stacks and then breaks hard at the end.  I believe the Glock is something like 5.5 lbs stock, right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top