Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 6:28:32 AM EDT
Is there anyone that can tell me or direct me to where I may find information on the early Lower frame kits that Para-O marketed before they actually began selling the complete pistols as they do today? I bought this around 1985 or 1986 and then needed to complete it with a Auto Ordnace slide, barrel, etc. and have it fitted. It is the now marketed P14 I believe.
tia
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to know?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Just some basics of the frame kit. Did it have any reliability problems or maybe if there was an old magazine write up on them. If that might be feasible to obtain...

I guess is there anything that has been changed from the early kits to an upgraded piece that I should know about. Maybe thinking that the early kits may have had problems or minor issues that need ed to be addressed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The early kits were upgraded in only one way.  They had a fairly squared off front strap.  They recontoured the front strap.  It now fits the hand a little nicer, and they shaved off a little on the circumfrence too.  

They still market a frame kit, though they are hard to find.  Told and the new are relatively the same, except for the aformentioned re-contour and the grip panels, which are not as wide now.  

As for problems, Paras can have some issues that may or may not be a problem for you.  Generally, they are a little on the soft side, which means nothing, unless you peen the frame reails down for a fitted slide and frame.  They will get loose quicker than a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber.  Again, this is only an issue with a tightly fit frame and slide.

Also, whether old or new, they have some parts that are plastic, including the mag release and trigger.  Again, a plastic trigger is not really an issue, but the mag release will wear out much quicker than steel.  The older kits and some of the newer kits have plastic recoil spring guide rods, which will also wear out much quicker than steel.  This does not apply to their assemlbed guns, as they have steel guide rods.

There was a real good article in American Handgunner back in the late 80's on the Para frame.  However, I couldn't begin to tell you the year, much less the issue.

Newer frame:

Older frame:

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
So, with the given info, alot of the "issue" could be resolved with some customization, yes? Also, could not steel 1911 parts be replaced and then fitted if the particular part needed it? Are there any personal upgrads that you would feel were needed to an old frame Para?
Thanks for all your input here...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, this is a good one; I want to build a longslide .45 using a Para-Ord P14 frame and maybe a Springfield or RRA 6 inch slide. Has anyone tried it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I don't too caught up in feeling a need to have a heavily customized pistol, though I like them.  I think an old Para frame with just a steel mag release is just fine.  I don't mind the plastic trigger, though I usually replace them with an adjustable aluminum model made by Guncraft.  That frame will work just fine as the basis for a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not be looking to customize it with a bunch of bells and whisltles... I just was basically looking to see if there were any inherint problems with the frame kit circa the first year they came out v.s. now. All I am looking to do is have anything done to it that will give the secure feeling that it will go bang and make a big noise when I pull the trigger, plastic, metal, gold with jeweled inlay..
Thanks for all the input adn rplys...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top