Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2005 11:40:44 PM EDT
How reliable are the double action Para Ordinance pistols? I would like to go to a .45acp for a carry gun and I am a double action fan and a 1911 fan so I was wondering how well they worked.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I have yet to see any manufactures production pistol that I would call reliable out of the box for under $1500.  Having said that, The Para's take very little to make them run ready.

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I own three Para LDA's (C7/45LDA, Stealth Hi-Cap, & Colonel).  I have about 3500 rounds thru the three of them in the last year or so.  I've yet to experience a problem with any of them which wasn't due to using aftermarket mags at the range.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Though not a DA, my P14-45 has been reliable straight out of the box. It has thousands of rounds through it with no problems. I've had it since 98.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a para warthog and it is very accurate.  Looks cool and is very dependable.  People bad mouthed the p-10 but the updated warthog is great.  Easy to takedown and clean.  The new stealth model is probably just as good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking of getting a 3.5" P-12 or P-13 myself.

I happen to have a P-14 .45 ACP hi-cap mag (black matte with "Made in Canda").

Will this work in a P-12 or P-13 ??  (I've heard it does).
Can you remove the but plat from this hi-cap mag for cleaning?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive had a P14 LDA for a few years now and I love it.  You are exactly right, if you want a 1911 in DA...go with the LDA.  Good choice.  SF Nug.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Love my Para Tac-Four.  The LDA trigger is sweet!  Very accurate, even with "cheap" ball ammo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I use and carry the 7.45 LDA, full size
only one problem, I only have one... with I could buy the Tac Four also.
I got mine 2 1/2 years ago. about 500 rounds through it. not one missfire, or hangup.nothing at all.

I qual with it 3 times a year, and shoot comp (local stuff, nothing huge.  Winner gets bragging rights for 2 weeks).

shoots just as fast as the SA 45's. at least with the bunch I shoot with.

what is interesting. buddy was showing me his new Kimber 45. nice weapon. he asked me if  I wanted to shoot it, of course I would.  I shot a string of 6 bowling pins. first thing I noticed was that it bucked a LOT more than my Para.  I commented about that. and he shot my Para. he agreed with me. both have 5 inch bbl. 7shot mags. looked like identical pistols, except for the trigger.
i'm sure his kimber is a fine weapon, but after that day, i'll never give up my Para.

Go with Para LDA of your choise. all are fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]
After I replaced the bbl,hammer,trigger,sear and slide stop in my P-16 it works fine.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a para warthog and it is very accurate.  Looks cool and is very dependable.  People bad mouthed the p-10 but the updated warthog is great.  Easy to takedown and clean.  The new stealth model is probably just as good.

Just why did people BADMOUTH the P10? Mine will probably shoot just as accurate as your Warthog and the take down is just as easy.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
My P14-45 has been reliable right out of the box.Only thing I have replace is the slide stop.The reason I replaced it was the pin was out of round.So I installed a wilson bullet proof slide stop.Nice tight fit.
Otherwise its the most accurate pistol I own.
Plan to buy an LTC here shortly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a C645swx (Caarry) 6+1 and I love it. I have fired around 1000 rds and have had no malfunctions. The LDA is the best trigger I have ever fired. Everyone that shots it wants one. Also this gun is very accurate even at 25yrds not bad for a 3.1 inch barrel.

John
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Standards for considering if a pistol is run ready,

Basic day at the range, 600 rounds of pratice ammo straight, running MPF ammo, using only bore snake/bore brush to clean the bore/chamber (no stove pipes, not partial feeds or jams, clean consistent ejections with no slide jack hammering when the pistol/recoils spring begins to get hot) for a single day of pratice (read 30 plus rounds shot in less than a minute, with breather/reload breaks in between runs).  

Real time, 300 rounds of  tuned MPF ammo with zero glitches to insure a clean jam free run (match day).

Do this for 10,000 rounds , and still group sub 3 MOA at 25 yards (read before rebuild/retighten up the pistol every two months or less), and you have a pistol that is run reliable ready.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, I've got a Tac-4 and want to scale down a notch to a single stack for CCW.  Been looking at the Carry and the COL and also the Warthawg/Nighthawk-although these are a hair too small for my paw.  Any recomendations?  I want the LDA trigger but just haven't had any sizes to compare my Tac-4 to.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just why did people BADMOUTH the P10? Mine will probably shoot just as accurate as your Warthog and the take down is just as easy.

img351.imageshack.us/img351/1379/dscf006318mg.jpg

ive seen that pic on another forum.

ps. my p-13 has been running for over 16YEARS now, over 180,000+rds and i still love it.
every gun will at some point will have problems, mine have been minor. even the uber reliable(should i say it) glock have problems at some point. (sorry aim4myhead) most of the time it's user error or neglegence..  my 2 cense
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

img351.imageshack.us/img351/1379/dscf006318mg.jpg

ive seen that pic on another forum.

ps. my p-13 has been running for over 16YEARS now, over 180,000+rds and i still love it.
every gun will at some point will have problems, mine have been minor. even the uber reliable(should i say it) glock have problems at some point. (sorry aim4myhead) most of the time it's user error or neglegence..  my 2 cense

WOW!! 180,000+ rds!

We are talking some serious change here! $$$$

You must reload quite a bit.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Only had one problem. Para fixed it.

Just needed to polish the slide to the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Only problem I have had, is remebering to let the trigger go forward enough to reset. Other than that they eat every round I put through them. I have a P-14 &a Carry-12. Both are double action only.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a 6.45 that was a lemon.  Multiple problems, some major.  Para took care of me eventually (see my other thread) and my new Carry 12 has so far been flawless through 2k.

Love the LDA but it does take some getting used to.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my first Para less then a week ago and have had issues already. Its a Warthog ... Its a nice gun, fairly compfortable, smaller then my XD-9sc but it jams on the last or second to last round consistantly. I think its probably the mag springs but it bothers me that Para has yet to answer my email regarding the problem...  Ive read installing P12 mag springs or the Wolf springs will fix the issue but I dont think I should have to pay for them since the gun is brand spankin new. I emailed Para about it like 3 days age and have yet to hear a word .... Not a good sign of customer service. I really dont want to send it back in, would rather them just send me some p12 springs to try out... Its almost like the p10 springs do not raise the last couple rounds fast enough to keep up with the super fast moveing micro slide.

Hopefully they will come thru... If not this little baby may get sold and ill go with a springfield.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had my P14.45 LDA ever since they first came out and except for a trip back to the factory, which was probably my fault, it has run great.  I just put about 700 rounds through it in 2 days at a pat rogers pistol course without cleaning or lubing and had one double feed which i cleared quickly, so it passes my litmus test for reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top