Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 6:04:52 PM EDT
I carry a .45 of some type with either a .380 in a pocket holster or a Glock 27 on the ankle.

For deep cover I just have the .380 and a glock 27 on the ankle if im not wearing shorts.

I am thinking a neck .22 might be something that I ALLWAYS have on me.

I have the small Naa .22 magnum revolver. It is really loud and actually sounds more like a .38. The recoil is enough to make it hard to stay on target as it moves the gun into a higher part of my hand. I use .22 magnum CCI TNT and am combat effective at 7 yards. Would not feel comfortable past that if you add in the stress of an actual incident.

The rubber grips and the night sight might make the pug a great weapon out to 15 yards. The recoil is not an issue and I am mostly concerned about how comfortable it would be around my neck. Who makes a necklas style lanyard that will be comfortable and break away if someone grabs me?

I know shot placement is everything but I believe there is an ammount of stopping power related to the round effectiveness. I take this from the fact that a .308 will do more dammage than a .22 if both rounds hit the same spot. With that said, how much does the .22 short, .22 LR, and .22 magnum compare in terms of shooting a human or dog attacker?

NAA Pug
•Overall Length: 4 1/2"
•Overall Height: 2 3/4"
•Width: 7/8"
•Weight: 6.4 oz. unloaded

NAA .22 Lr
•Overall Length: 4"
•Overall Height: 2 3/8"
•Width: 13/16"
•Weight: 4.5 oz. unloaded

Naa ,22 Short
•Barrel Length: 1 1/8"
•Overall Length: 3 5/8"
•Overall Height: 2 3/8"
•Width: 13/16"
•Weight: 4 oz. unloaded

How would the ballistics of a .22 short, .22 Long rifle CCI TNT, and .22 magnum CCI tnt compare? Who makes the most bad boy round for a .22 short?

I am considering using this as an around the neck kydex holster. There has to be one that will hold it in nice and not allow it to accidentally cock the hammer.

http://www.naaminis.com/short.html

http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

http://www.naaminis.com/pug.html

.22 Short
.22 short, is a .22 caliber rimfire cartridge. Developed in 1857 for the first Smith and Wesson revolver, the .22 Short rimfire was the first American metallic cartridge. The original loading was a 29 grain bullet and 4 grains of black powder. Developed for self defense, the modern .22 Short, though still used in a few pocket pistols and mini-revolvers, is mainly used as a quiet round for practice. Due to its low recoil and good inherent accuracy, the .22 Short was used for the Olympic 25 m Rapid Fire Pistol event until 2004.
Specifications:
Case Length: .423 in.
Overall Length: .686 in.
Bullet weight - 29 gr. / Velocity - 1,045 fps. / Energy - 70 ft.lb.

.22 Long Rifle
.22 Long Rifle, is a rimfire cartridge that is well established with a variety of ammunition loadings, and in terms of units sold is still by far the most common in the world today. The .22 Long Rifle rimfire is a heavier loading of the .22 Long case and appeared in 1887, along with the first smokeless powder loadings of the .22 rimfires. It is one of the few cartridges that are accepted by a large variety of rifles, as well as pistols. Virtually every manufacturer of cartridge firearms makes at least one model chambering it, and this has been true for more than a century. There are a variety of different types of .22 Long Rifle (or ".22 LR") rimfire loads.
Specifications:
Case length: .595 in.
Case diameter: .225 in.
Bullet diameter: .224 in.
Rim diameter: .271 in.
Rim thickness: .040 in.
Cartridge overall length: .985 in.
Bullet weight - 40 gr. / Velocity - 1,082 fps. / Energy - 104 ft.lb. / (Subsonic)
Bullet weight - 36 gr. / Velocity - 1,328 fps. / Energy - 141 ft.lb. / (High Velocity)

.22 WMR
.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, is a rimfire rifle cartridge, commonly loaded with a 40 grain bullet, it can deliver velocities in the 2000 fps. range from a rifle barrel. The .22 WMR was introduced in the 1950s by Winchester, and it was the only successful rimfire cartridge introduced in the 20th century. The .22 WMR uses a larger case than the more popular .22 Long Rifle rimfire, both in diameter and length. The .22 WMR's case is also much thicker, allowing much higher pressures. Since the .22 WMR generally uses the same weight bullets as the .22 Long Rifle, it is generally used in similar situations. The 40 grain .22 WMR at 100 yards still retains the velocity of a .22 LR at the muzzle, which can provide improved penetration at all ranges, and more reliable expansion at long range with expanding bullets.
Specifications:
Case length: 1.052 in.
Overall length: 1.350 in.
Bullet diameter: .224 in.
Bullet weight - 40 gr. / Velocity - 2,020 fps. / Energy - 360 ft.lb.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry a 22 short around my neck also. I have taken a brass cleaning brush and attached it to some para cord or a leather strip and I put the hammer on the space halfway between the rounds. I push the brush inside the barrel and it hangs from the cord. I figure if a fight ever goes to ground and I lose my primary all I have to do is rip it from under my shirt and use it at touching distance no aiming involved. I carry CCI hollowpoints in it. If you carry a badge around your neck it will totally cover it up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What made you go with a .22 short over a .22 magnum? You should use the kydex neck holster so it covers the hammer and is not pointing up at your head. http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to, with the plastic handle holster. Used old blousing straps to attach to my leg. I used Aguila Sniper Sub Sonics. They are long and unstable. At close range, they tend to enter sideways.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
if you are willing to sacrifice one round you can drill a hole through a .22 cleaning rod brush attachment and run a ball chain through it for a necklace then place the brush into the barrel and down into the cylinder. since you have to manually cock the weapon anyway its just as ready to fire.

i carry my NAA .22LR in my pocket all the time, more for getting attention from people around than actually trying to aim and hit in a gun on gun fight. not my first choice but better than throwing rocks. at 7 meters and in, id honestly consider a fixed blade more effective. i use CCI stingers in mine not sure if that matters out of such a short barrel
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I sold my NAA mini. The delicate lock work broke during the third or fourth range session and i coulnt hit a thing with it. Got it fixed and sold it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been thinking about getting one just to have a super small pistol in my carry circle but in .22mag.

A friend of mine had one in .22mag and he had the 22lr cylinder, pretty snappy with the .22mag, with the short grip the gun would stick straight up in your hand after ever shot. .

And it was actually pretty accurate with .22lr and .22 short.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had my NAA mini revolver in .22LR since 92-93'.  I call mine "Always" as its small enough to always be with me.  I usually carry it in my watch pocket in some of my jeans or in the pocket to back up my primary.  Haven't carried it much this decade as been deployed most of the time (7 out of 10 yrs).  However when I'm home I practice keeping all five rounds in the face/neck at 7 yds.  I normally carry either CCI Stingers or 40 gr solids.

CD
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
My NAA Mini is my Opera gun. It fits perfectly in the breast pocket of my tuxedo.

Accountant
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thinking about getting a pug. My gun collection will not b complete without a minigun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
.22 LR or .22 Mag.
The LR carries much better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry mine when I can't carry my usual CCW. Typically I carry a P7.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What made you go with a .22 short over a .22 magnum? You should use the kydex neck holster so it covers the hammer and is not pointing up at your head. http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html

It's really small and lite. I carry it in the half notch between the cylinders so unless you cock the hammer its not going to go off it hangs straight down so grabbing it is very easy. On the older models without the notch just shove the brush farther in on an empty cylinder. I see this as a contact weapon press barrel where you want the bullet to go. The testing I have done with the 22re short works for what I intend for it to do. Sure a 500 smith would.be better but I.can't hang it around my.neck
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I've carried one since 91. Great guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top