Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2004 11:05:55 PM EDT
wtf?  SA loaded.  i've shot 8-900rds and i still don't group with this thing.  when i shoot my XD9 i shoot out the center of the target.

i've tried slowing down, only loading a couple at a time in the mag, concentrating..i line up the sights and....miss!  what the hell?

i don't want to send it back.  my friend hits the center some of the time with it.  all my shots are low, and sometimes low to the right.  100rds on saturday at 7yds and only 3-4 were in the middle diamond (3 or 4 inch diamond)!  

i refuse to believe i am that bad of a shot.  i'd hate to ditch this thing and take a loss, but i don't want to put any money into it.  i've already spent $750 on it.  it should shoot POA.

i wish i knew someone into 1911s so i could let them shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Practice, practice, practice
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Front sight, slowly squeeze the trigger.  Make the shot a surprise every time.  

Practicing 800 rounds wrong wont get you any better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Practicing 800 rounds wrong wont get you any better.

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Next MN shoot we can both make it to I would be happy to try it out for you  
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone else shot the thing (pro or not)? I can't imagine it missing at 7 yards

Maybe its the narrow(er) grip profile compared to your XD causing you to 'roll' it when you squeeze the trigger. I don't use slim-line grips and usually add the pearce finger grooves to 1911's which also make the grip slightly wider. Just a thought...
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Practice some dry fire.  Buy some of the aluminum snap caps and have a shooting buddy load your mags with 1 or 2 along with some loaded rounds.  I'm quite sure that you're probably flinching. A .45 ACP will have more blast than a 9mm XD9 and you might have developed a flinch.  Even a trashed USGI 1911 will usually shoot at least a 2" group at 7 yds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Just what do your groups look like? ==Bob
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Print out the sharpshooter.com diagram
Get snap caps and load magazines(if by yourself, mix them in a can with regular ammo & load several mags with eyes closed, shuffle mags & pick one at random)
See the jerk/flinch when you get to the snap cap.

Confession time, I practiced several weeks my shotgun reloading drill wrong. Was putting too much emphasis on reloading & not getting correct cheek/stock weld when shooting. (Was using snap caps in the house at night). Got to the match & blew the first stage since I shot it exactly like I practiced, I shot it WRONG! and got embarassed by missing knockdown shotgun targets that were 15' away. Lost any chance of placing in the match.

Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. The 800 rounds is a lot of practice, but was it 'perfect' practice?

wganz

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

like a shotgun pattern.  i'll buy the snapcaps..they're pretty spendy at the local shop so i havn't bought any yet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
How does it shoot from a good rest?  Sandbag it.  If it isn't the gun, then you need to practice from a rest and dry fire until you get good groups from the rest.  Don't worry about point of impact.  Worry about group size.  You can adjust the sights anytime.  If the gun will not shoot from a rest, let someone else try from the rest and then send it back.  I had a colt a long time ago that was the most pathetic pistol I believe I ever owned.  The only thing I could hit with it was the ground.  Someone came along that wanted to own a 1911 and I let them buy it.  good luck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Try shooting it after shooting a fire belching magnum. When the .45 is one of the least explosive guns in your hand, you will do better with it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

like a shotgun pattern.  i'll buy the snapcaps..they're pretty spendy at the local shop so i havn't bought any yet.

This is indicative of looking at your target at the very last second. Follow through with your sight picture.  Your front sight should be in  focus between your fuzzy rear sight.  The target should be a litty fuzzy.  When your round goes off, keep your front sight focused, then assess your target.  I have a card around here some where, I'll scan it and post it in a while.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey!

Here's what an old NRA Master (1911 45's) showed me. I had a SA 1911-A1 loaded with the Novak type sights and this worked on mine. Take a target (bullseye) and post it on a wall ten feet away with a small pushpin. With your pistol unloaded, cock the hammer, take a dime and balance it on your front sight and take whatever shooting stance you normally use. Aim at the center of the target, align the sights, and pull the trigger without dropping the dime. That drill will definitely improve your trigger control.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#17]

i'll buy the snapcaps..

Don't buy any yet. May have some here at the house. Give me a couple of days to scratch around for them.

wganz

Link Posted: 7/27/2004 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy Jeez!
Its a good thing I checked active topics and found this thread before you got hurt.
That gun is on the verge of a kaboom! Send it to me for safe disposal.
IM for my address.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Holy Jeez!
Its a good thing I checked active topics and found this thread before you got hurt.
That gun is on the verge of a kaboom! Send it to me for safe disposal.
IM for my address.

okay, be sure to add $700 for shipping.  does not include mags.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Er, has no one mentioned simply swapping ammo brands?
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Im sent.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I shot low and left with a 1911 until I started loading mags blind with dummy cartridges mixed in.  

It was amazing how much I was flinching without realizing it.  Never a problem on my other handguns.

After that I did a lot of dry fire practice and smoothed it out.  I still start getting fliers after long range sessions but for the most part I just punch the center out of the target.

Try mixing in the dummy cartridges and I bet you will see your problem.

Word!

+1
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Simple things first. Check the barrel for lead build up. Use a lead solvent and brush to clean it out.

If it still shoots bad for you, find a 1911 guru to try it out for you, or someone with a machine rest.  

If it still shoots bad in a machine rest or in the hands of a 1911 guru, you might have something out of adjustment and a trip to a gunsmith or back to the factory would be in order.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#25]
i have tried a few different brands of ammo.  i'm thinking of just selling it.  i want a new guitar anyway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Put it in a rest, test it with alot of ammo.

See how well it does when you are removed from the equation.

Then, work on your flinch if that's the problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Bring it to the next minnesota shoot, Quinlan or myself should be there......remember practice,  I have a feeling you are jerking the trigger, it is not the ammo
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#28]
You look through the open eye!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Er, has no one mentioned simply swapping ammo brands?

At 7 yards I'd have a hard time blaming ammo.  Think it could make that much difference?

Yepper, got a G35 that absodamnlutely hates Corbon P'wer Ball.  At 10yds and a rest it won't print inside of 10".  Give it SPEER Gold Dot and it will print 15 rounds under 4.5" at 25yds bastardized weaver stance.

Dave S

Had to come back and let you know that my brother, Louis, keeps it under 4.5" @ 25yds.....I can keep all the rounds under 8" @ 25yds.  I hate the gd trigger, sending it out for a street carry trigger job from Custom Glock Racing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm having the same problem.  I shot Sharpshooter in IDPA with my Glocks, and then I got a 1911 and I'm in Novice.  Somehow shooting th 1911 has even screwed up my Glock and Sig shooting now too.  So I'm stuck with it and refuse to let this goddamn gun beat me.  Of course, I don't practice as much as I should if I were really serious about it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm having the same problem.  I shot Sharpshooter in IDPA with my Glocks, and then I got a 1911 and I'm in Novice.  Somehow shooting th 1911 has even screwed up my Glock and Sig shooting now too.  So I'm stuck with it and refuse to let this goddamn gun beat me.  Of course, I don't practice as much as I should if I were really serious about it.

I haven't shot a classifier yet but with a Glock I keep up with the expert class shooters, with my SIG 220ST I usually keep up with the sharpshooters and only sometimes expert class shooters.  I think its because I'm reloading the gun more since it has less rounds than the Glocks.  I've noticed that the fastest shooters are almost always SSP division shooters.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't shot a classifier yet but with a Glock I keep up with the expert class shooters, with my SIG 220ST I usually keep up with the sharpshooters and only sometimes expert class shooters.  I think its because I'm reloading the gun more since it has less rounds than the Glocks.  I've noticed that the fastest shooters are almost always SSP division shooters.

I think the ultimate gamer's division is ESP.  Single action and 10 rounds in the mag.  A tuned CZ or Hipower should clean up with the right indian.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yepper, got a G35 that absodamnlutely hates Corbon P'wer Ball.  At 10yds and a rest it won't print inside of 10".  Give it SPEER Gold Dot and it will print 15 rounds under 4.5" at 25yds bastardized weaver stance.

Wow; QC on that stuff must blow.  That's not a gun/ammo compatibility issue; that's crappy ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow; QC on that stuff must blow.  That's not a gun/ammo compatibility issue; that's crappy ammo.

It has shot the same with 5 different LOT# boxes of Pow'R Ball.  My carry in the Kimber Custom Eclipse and BHP is Pow'R Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Both chew a golf ball size hole @ 25yds from a pistol cradle.  The .45ACP Pow'R Ball seems mellow compared to the Golden Sabre +P that I was using.  The 9mm Pow'R Ball ain't mellow......ain't mellow, atawl.  

Dave S  
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Buy an HK USP and call it good :)

Nah...like everyone else said...practice, practice, and oh yeah....practice.

Youll get over the flinching naturally once you put 500+ rounds through the pistol mixed in with some dummy rounds....
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Buy an HK USP and call it good :)

Nah...like everyone else said...practice, practice, and oh yeah....practice.

Youll get over the flinching naturally once you put 500+ rounds through the pistol mixed in with some dummy rounds....

+1 ... stagger your dummy rounds... if poss have someone else load them for you so you dont remember where they are and dont know when they are coming.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Are you using 230gr ammo?  If you are sensitive, you might try a box or two of the 185gr swc target ammo for Bullseye shooting.  These are only loaded to 750fps or so and have real light recoil.  This is the ammo I started my wife with in my 1911.  You might also so look into getting a beavertail grip safety installed.  This made my 1911 much easier to shoot for me.  I would also suggest you have someone of know shooting ability shoot your gun before you get rid of it.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#39]
shot 50rds today and it seemed to group better... ???  i don't know what i did different but maybe i'll hang on to it for a little while longer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
shot 50rds today and it seemed to group better... ???  i don't know what i did different but maybe i'll hang on to it for a little while longer.

addakid!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Coming in a little late here, but I was having accuracy problems with my 1911.. shooting low left and patterning like a shotgun... then I got my CZ75 in 9mm and shot the piss out of it, and pretty much didn't shoot the 1911 for almost a year.   Then recently I loaded up some ammo and went shooting with a buddy.  ONLY shot the 1911, paying close attention to my technique and trigger control, and I was shooting it MUCH more accurately.  

I'd say, have someone else shoot it, or try to fire it from a rest... then you should be able to see if the GUN is accurate.   You've gotten lots of good advice here... take it!  

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:08:24 AM EDT
[#43]
iNuhBaDNayburhood, i'll most likely be at the princeton mg shoot next month.  i'll bring it with even though there aren't really any pistol targets.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top