Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2004 5:31:27 AM EDT
Like so many of us, I have for too long been in search of the perfect handgun. Which -- also like many of us have concluded -- probably doesn’t exist.

Nevertheless, for many years I felt the closest I had come was the 1911 in .45. My criterion has always been basic balance and handling, with admittedly little consideration given to the more advanced features like hi-tech materials, built-in light rails, various flippity-widgets, and other SWAT-type hoo-ha. If it didn’t feel good, forget it. Sure, I had also dabbled with many 9’s and 40’s (along with a few .38’s and .357’s early on), but never really considered any of them a serious contention to the 1911. Most of them seemed a lot more blocky and clunky than the sleek and clean lines I was used to.

By now getting into the middle years, however, I am getting increasing wrist difficulty from a very old (pre-teen) injury. The wrist (and various other areas left unspecified) are steering an increased consideration of comfort on my activities in general, not the least of which is shooting. The approach is: “No pain….good!” From recent experimentation I have found as a cartridge the 9 mm a lot more manageable than the .45, at least when both are basically in defense-level loadings (which as a philosophy I’ve always adhered to, none of the lightweight match-load stuff). Although reluctantly, I have concluded it’s time for a permanent change.

One of the models I recalled as standing out from a couple of years ago was the CZ 75B, which I had since traded (I forget now for what). Generally more slim and clean than many others and with a lower bore axis, condition-one capability, and all steel. Then I learned through gun-club email of a local guy wanting to sell one, and who coincidently was interested in getting a 1911, so we ended up making a straight trade (there were some mags involved too). Turns out Pat’s a great guy and certainly “worthy” of taking my 1911, and the CZ I got from him was perfectly cared for.

I’ve since been working with the CZ for the past couple of months and it’s doing pretty good, with my only real complaint there being more trigger creep in SA mode than I’m used to (although it’s still pretty clean, not at all gritty feeling). And recoil is certainly a lot easier to live with comfort-wise than the full-bore .45 loads. Along the way I’ve looked a couple of times in stores at the Hi Power – the only other I was really considering as a former 1911’er – and although the trigger is much cleaner I just can’t get used to how it handles the web area of the hand. Feels very creepy to me whereas the CZ has a nice full grip tang.

So, will the CZ now be “The One”? hinking.gif Any thoughts are greatly welcomed.

Link Posted: 7/16/2004 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The CZ is indeed a quality firearm, and will serve you well for many years to come.  I have not doubt that after carrying a 1911 for as long as you have, anything else will feel like it has a mile of trigger creep. It will indeed take some getting used to.

If you find that you just cannot adjust you may want to consider a Browing high power type pistol in another manufacturer.  Perhaps the one you were looking at may have a slightly different trigger than another brand of BHP type pistol.  They are slightly 1911ish but in the easier to manage 9mm cal.

There was a recent article from Massad Ayoob regarding the Carles Daly high power and it got very high reviews and will cost you less than 500$.  MSRP was 489.00 and like many dealers, my favorite gunshop sells for about 10% - 20% LESS than MSRP.  

You may also want to consider the XD-9 Tactical 5 inch as an option.  It was designed with the 1911 grip angle in mind. It is a single action pistol but still of course does not feel as clean as a 1911.  Its trigger is a little more "glockish".

And of course there are a number of manufacturers who make the 1911 in 9mm. Single stack 9mms are not as popular of course as many do choose 9mm for capacity, so your dealer may have to order it for you, but they are quality weapons.

If course you may just want to stick with your CZ.  It may just take some time and a few thousand rounds to retrain your muscle memory for the new pistol, or if you dont want to then cosinder one of  the single action BHPs or 1911s in 9mm.  

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 7/16/2004 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the good feedback Bear. I had forgot to mention that I was aware of the 9mm 1911's, but -- and I know it's narrow minded -- to me they just aren't "real" 1911's unless in the .45. I've also heard of feeding problems with the shorter cartridge, but don't know if that's real or hypothetical.

The XD-9 is Springfield's polymer-frame model, correct? Haven't tried one, but was assuming they're basically a Glock clone at least dynamics-wise (I know they have a few functional differences). Have bought-sold-trade several Glocks over the years but could never get comfy with the plastic --oops, "polymer" (sorry to the army of Glocksters out thereI wasn't aware of the Charles Daly HP and will definately find out more on that. Could end up just sticking with the CZ though. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you fooled with a 1911 in 9mm?  Several are available.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the good feedback Bear. I had forgot to mention that I was aware of the 9mm 1911's, but -- and I know it's narrow minded -- to me they just aren't "real" 1911's unless in the .45. I've also heard of feeding problems with the shorter cartridge, but don't know if that's real or hypothetical.

The XD-9 is Springfield's polymer-frame model, correct? Haven't tried one, but was assuming they're basically a Glock clone at least dynamics-wise (I know they have a few functional differences). Have bought-sold-trade several Glocks over the years but could never get comfy with the plastic --oops, "polymer" (sorry to the army of Glocksters out there).

I wasn't aware of the Charles Daly HP and will definately find out more on that. Could end up just sticking with the CZ though. Thanks again.

Yeah... the XDs are "plastic" but it seems to me (I do own one) that they are kind of a mating between the glock and a 1911.  

They have the same grip angle... different from the GLock... and a grip safety like a 1911, but they are kinda "glockish" in overall appearance.  The trigger is crisper than a Glock, but not as crisp as a 1911.  

Like any pistol they are not for everyone... but worth looking at.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again Bear. I'll give the XD a closer look. I know of at-least one very active shooter who swears by his.

kpel308 -- From your response I'll interpret a "yea" vote for the CZ (did some dry-fire practice over the weekend and am leaning your way. Will hopefully try back at the range this Fri.).
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#7]
BlackScot, the trigger creep you mention can be removed from your CZ pistol by any gunsmith worth his salt - the engagement sear notch on the hammer needs to be reduced in depth and the creep will disappear.  I've done several Tanfoglios on my Dremel cut-off wheel held vertically in a vise without a sear jig but it takes alot of practice and experience - a jig would be preffered.

I would strongly recommend a .22 Cadet conversion for your CZ, you will truly enjoy it, especially if you can afford a suppressor.  I don't think anyone can argue that the CZ is the most ergonomic pistol ever designed (with the frame-mounted safety, not the slide-mounted de-cocker), it is the most common comment I receive when I lend mine to someone at the range.  The grip design seems to fit every size hand.

I would also recommend a set of Hogue grips with finger grooves - a big improvement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Monkey-man, thanks for the great trigger tip! I've done some monkeying on 1911's over the years so may be up to tackling this, if I can be sure of what I'm doing. I'll take a closer look at the mechanism with your thoughts in mind and see-what-I-can-see. Do you have any sources of  reference info for this kind of job?

And yes, it is that kind-of  "ah...."  feeling hen
I had always toyed with the .22 conversion idea for my 1911 but never ended up getting one. I've got a little bit of woods behind me with enough room for .22 (although not much else) without any neighbors dialing 911 ! hock.gif Maybe I'll eventually convert the CZ.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I've read nothing but good things about the CZ's.  Enough in fact that it is on my "to get list".  I've held once once and it did feel very goodin hand.  I look forward to getting one and finding out for myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top