Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2010 8:44:34 PM EDT

So I picked up a Taurus 709 slim not too long ago.  

Hoping against the tidal wave of bad reviews that I would have "one of the good ones"

The first range trip it functions flawlessly with gold dots, winchester white box, Federal hyrdashoks and some magtech FMJ.

I put enough through it without a problem that I felt comfortable carrying it.    All was good, until this weekend.  The 709 had failure after failure.  3 or 4 times in a mag regardless of magazine I used or type of ammo.  

FTE constantly... It seems as though the extractor would hold onto the cartridge with such fervor that it would pull it up and over the ejector then the spent casing would get stuck over the ejector and would require me to pull it out with my fingers.

etc etc.  

I'm selling it and going to get a different 9mm carry gun.  

So far I'm thinking in no particular order.

Colt New Agent 9mm
Springfield EMP
Kahr P9 or K9
Walther PPS

I've ruled out a Glock 26/19 already and ALMOST all double stack 9mm's  

help??

Open to suggestions on a new pistol.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If money is not an issue I would go with the SA EMP.  Otherwise, the Kahr P9 or CW9 would be a good choice too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the problem with double stack 9s?

What about a J-frame or D-frame revolver?
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I carry a Hi-Power daily. Not sure why you want to go so small with so few rounds. Maybe carry a knife instead?
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Width.   I have a hard time with carrying a double stack pistol without a gargantuan bulge on my side and dressing to conceal makes me look like I have no idea how to dress myself.  

I kind of get lost in large clothes.   I'm not a very large person by any means.  

There is nothing wrong with revolvers... I carry a S&W 442 on occasion.  I'm just wanting a smaller 9mm for carry.  
I like having options when I leave the house I suppose.  

Right now my carry pistol options are a Keltec P32, a S&W 442, a Taurus 605 (It's been great for years) and a Bersa Thunder .380
having a 9mm primary carry pistol is idea as it's cheaper for me to shoot and practice with than my other carry pistols  and I already have a substantial stock of 9mm for my 92fs

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmmm, I carry a Hi-Power daily. Not sure why you want to go so small with so few rounds. Maybe carry a knife instead?

When I figure out how to comfortably carry a full size pistol on my person without it being uncomfortable and difficult to conceal at work I'll let you know.  

I carry a knife as well.   I have yet to figure out how to make it shoot.   When I get that down I'll be sure to let you know that too.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I figure out how to comfortably carry a full size pistol on my person without it being uncomfortable and difficult to conceal at work I'll let you know.  

I carry a knife as well.   I have yet to figure out how to make it shoot.   When I get that down I'll be sure to let you know that too.  

Buy a good holster. I am a BH Therapist and see people all day and can still carry a BHP with no big deal. I am 5'9 160lbs.

Ballistic knifes. The Spetsnaz use it but I believe they are illegal in the States.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a good holster. I am a BH Therapist and see people all day and can still carry a BHP with no big deal. I am 5'9 160lbs.

Ballistic knifes. The Spetsnaz use it but I believe they are illegal in the States.

Find a good custom leather maker to make your holster. TT Gunleather and Garrity's Gunleather have been great to me.

Also you may want to look into a KelTec PF-9 or Walther PPS.

ETA: Provided you want to stick to a slim 9mm handgun.

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had excellent luck with the 709 since buying a month ago and me and my hand both know that I have run 300 plus rounds thru it.Took a while getting it and glad it has two mags.First thing before firing at all  was strip it and clean every bit of grease out of it using an aerosol cleaner that cleaned and left it dry,did the magazines also.I also used canned air and blew out the firing pin channel and then put it back together and lubed it good with Breakfree.
       Fired 50 rounds and no troubles.Strippped it again,aerosol cleaner and canned air and breakfree,another  session this time with two boxes of ammo (Sure Wish Had Extra Magazines.) Up to this time has all been the RWS 124 grain ball and NO fail to feed or eject.Only thing I did notice a few scratches on the top polished rear of bolt from hitting the edge of the top of the slot opening and I smoothed it with a small stone.
       After cleaning ran 50 rounds of HP thru it just basic Federal I had here and again was good.Next session was two boxes of Black Talon from my deep stash and all good and a bit snappier.I finally adjusted the sights as most up to now were left of center at 7 yards I set up for.These were all offhand shots for the breakin and was getting softball size groups with the FMJ and the Talons brought them to baseball size with the occasional flyers when I was getting tired of shooting and holding.The next two boxes were Remington Saber had here and this time after the clean lubed with Quaker Synthetic 5W-30 oil.The first two boxes gave me some brass shavings probably wearing in but now the pistol was getting good.No jams or FTF or FTE even doing the 100 round run.
      I been carrying this gun for a week or more now with complete confidence.You may have got one that is functioning badly and I would send it in but do some more shooting and deep cleaningwith ball ammo as the factory reccommmends at least a 200 round run to break in.
      I bought a Walther PK380 at the same time did the same treatment and it is spot on also and no recoil to speak of being a lesser caliber but if they ever make a 9mm in the Walther same size I am in for one of them also.Try the cleaning and shooting in before you give up
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
My Kahr MK9 and P9 have served me very well.  I also recommend the S&W 3913/908 models.  Had a PPS but didn't trust it and wasn't the best shooter but others have been pleased with theirs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kahr P9 or K9

That's my vote.  It disappears on me with shorts and a tee. Never had a problem with it.
I carry an M&P 9c when I can dress around it (usually with a jacket or pullover) but yea, it's huge compared to the Kahr.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Walther PPS.  Its an excellent weapon and has that thinness that will ensure you will be able to wear it comfortably and therefore have it when you need it.  Damned accurate, too, for such a little pistol.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had my PPS for about 1.5 years and it's been a great pistol.  Accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had my PPS for about 1.5 years and it's been a great pistol.  Accurate and reliable.

Get the PPS....I love mine
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 on the PPS.  Good guns
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
S&W 3913, or one of the similar S&W 3rd gen, single stack, 9mm variants
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]

I love my SR9c. It's thinning in the grip than my 1911, but the slide is a little thicker.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Kahr PM9 maybe?

Light, accurate, reliable.

Kinda pricey, but for your primary carry gun price really doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love my SR9c. It's thinning in the grip than my 1911, but the slide is a little thicker.

+1

The first time I tried mine out, I fired 300 rds (half ball, and half Federal HPs) with no malfunctions, plus it was accurate as hell.
Ruger knocked it out of the park with the SR9c, IMO.

edit: except for the trigger, which is awful. But what the hell; it's a carry pistol.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I carry a .50 Desert Eagle, a Barret .50 rifle, and a pickaxe totally concealed while wearing gym shorts and a tank top.  

However, I am also 9 feet tall and weigh 640 pounds.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Width.   I have a hard time with carrying a double stack pistol without a gargantuan bulge on my side and dressing to conceal makes me look like I have no idea how to dress myself.  

I kind of get lost in large clothes.   I'm not a very large person by any means.  

There is nothing wrong with revolvers... I carry a S&W 442 on occasion.  I'm just wanting a smaller 9mm for carry.  
I like having options when I leave the house I suppose.  

Right now my carry pistol options are a Keltec P32, a S&W 442, a Taurus 605 (It's been great for years) and a Bersa Thunder .380
having a 9mm primary carry pistol is idea as it's cheaper for me to shoot and practice with than my other carry pistols  and I already have a substantial stock of 9mm for my 92fs

Gotcha.

I'm not big either, 5'2" and 140 pounds so I understand the concealment dilemma.  I have found that not all t-shirts are created equal when it comes to concealment abilities.  Additionally, darker colors conceal better than lighter ones.  I usually carry a G26 in a Milt Sparks VM2 or a DeSantis Belt Slide.  

I've also found that IWB holsters conceal better for me than OWB holsters and that those with a forward cant (FBI cant or more) do even better.  

If you're willing to move away from 9mm, a Dan Wesson CBOB or a CCO-style 1911 might work (Sig makes a nice one, the C3).  

If I was in the market for a 9mm single stack, I'd look at a Walther PPS first.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry a .50 Desert Eagle, a Barret .50 rifle, and a pickaxe totally concealed while wearing gym shorts and a tank top.  

Your point, troll?
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I haven't shot my PPS yet (only had it 2 days) but I can attest to its comfort while carrying. I used to carry a Glock 27 which is a PHENOMENAL gun (although I bought it before I realized that 9mm>>>.40), but it started giving me back problems due to its thickness. I also wear VERY form fitting clothes, so concealability was a problem. The PPS is extremely comfortable to carry; I barely know it's there. It also has a good feel to me, but as I said I haven't shot it yet so I can't say much about its reliability/accuracy other than what I've read about it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your point, troll?

I think his point was that you were being ridiculous. A valid point IMO
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#25]
you really need to look at the PPS. As thin as the 709, light, very accurate. I have had my PPS 3 months. 1500 rounds with no FTF, no FTE. The trigger is very nice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep––-make sure to check one of these out, 3913, 3904, 3906, 3953 if ya don't mind DAO.  I currently own two 3913s and have owned two others in the past (and the missus has one as her primary weapon now.)
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep––-make sure to check one of these out, 3913, 3904, 3906, 3953 if ya don't mind DAO.  I currently own two 3913s and have owned two others in the past (and the missus has one as her primary weapon now.)

Another very good suggestion about the famously ignored third-generation S&W autos.  I have one also (a 3913 Ladysmith) and it, like the PPS, is a very thin design.  Not as thin, but still thinner than most.  The model 908 is a budget priced version of the 3913 and can be found very inexpensively, but is still a wonderfully reliable pistol.

Link Posted: 5/18/2010 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another very good suggestion about the famously ignored third-generation S&W autos.  I have one also (a 3913 Ladysmith) and it, like the PPS, is a very thin design.  Not as thin, but still thinner than most.  The model 908 is a budget priced version of the 3913 and can be found very inexpensively, but is still a wonderfully reliable pistol.

Forgot about the 908––-also a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm really liking that 908 so far from what I've read.  

Now if I could only track one down so I can fondle it before I buy one.  

Thanks guys you've done a good job of getting me pointed in a direction at least!

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe you could try and send it back to Taurus for repairs before you write it off completely.  Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm really liking that 908 so far from what I've read.  

Now if I could only track one down so I can fondle it before I buy one.  

Thanks guys you've done a good job of getting me pointed in a direction at least!

I was just going to mention the 908, it’s my girlfriends carry gun, she was carrying a 637 but she wanted a semi auto and the ability to reload quickly. The 908 I believe is my most accurate pistol and I have a bunch of them but this thing is crazy accurate.

Everyone I take shooting their favorite semi auto pistol is always the 908.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Maybe you could try and send it back to Taurus for repairs before you write it off completely.  Just a suggestion.

I already did, it's at Taurus as we speak getting fixed.  

It's not "because it's a Taurus" that I am getting rid of it.  

I am getting rid of it because it failed me once.    So now I will worry if it's going to up and fail on me again.   That, coupled with how it was somewhat uncomfortable to shoot and I have a hard time getting used to the trigger pull among other nit-picky things cumulate into me getting rid of it.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top