Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2010 9:46:31 AM EDT
I just got a new Sig P-250 today in .357 cal.  I shot the thing 104 rounds and had 3 failure to feeds.  I used different magazines and was shooting high quality ammo.  Has anyone else heard of this type of thing?  I have contacted SIG and they swear there is no problems with this weapon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard a lot about failures with the Sig 250. On this site, and others.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune man...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My exp w/ my both polymer and classic Sigs is that they need about 400 rounds down the pipe for break in.  Rail to slide fit is tight on the 2340, 2022, and 229 so I would think the P250 is no different (except the obvious FCG differences).  Don't freak out if you've only put 104 rounds through it, Sig will tell you it needs "to be shot-in."
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it 500 rounds then see if it needs any attention. That is a lot of ammo I know but thats what I usually break in these guns with- esp the new ones from Sig. Clean it really well and try again. You said "high quality" ammo but failed to mention what it is. I ask this because everyone has a variation of what high quality is. I mean...I know Wolf ammo isnt top of the line but I swear some guys I know say it is. I like big names like Speer, Federal, Winchester.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I was shooting Speer Gold Dot 125 grain through it.  My 229 did not need breaking in and I shot 33 thousand rounds through it before it was retired by the agency.  These things should not need a break in period is my point.  Thanks for the information but STAY AWAY from the 250!  Get an old school Sig or Glock etc. save yourself the headache.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah they shouldnt need break in but you are speaking of German made weapons compared to American made ones. The tolerances are just not the same. Speer Gold Dot is good stuff. Bet you get a big boom outta your gun in .357 sig. Have you tried other rounds too like Federal ? I practice with Georgia Arms Canned Heat in my Glock 31- its nasty....
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
2 of my friends' Sig 2022s didn't need any break in. Neither did my P229 or P226.

Is the P250 made in Germany or here?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, sounds like it needs a break-in no matter what you think.

3 failures out of the first 104rds out of the pistol is nothing to write home about. Shit happens.

To come on here and say it's a POS with so few rounds through it just shows your ass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was shooting Speer Gold Dot 125 grain through it.  My 229 did not need breaking in and I shot 33 thousand rounds through it before it was retired by the agency.  These things should not need a break in period is my point.  Thanks for the information but STAY AWAY from the 250!  Get an old school Sig or Glock etc. save yourself the headache.

That wouldn't be the same fed agency that is currently starting the transition from the P229 to the P250 in .357 Sig would it?

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 Don't freak out if you've only put 104 rounds through it, Sig will tell you it needs "to be shot-in."

What he said.  My German-made P228 had an FTF-per box of ammo until I put a couple hundred rounds through it.  My friend's P250 shot everything we threw at it right out of the box.  As with many other products, YMMV
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Don't freak out if you've only put 104 rounds through it, Sig will tell you it needs "to be shot-in."

What he said.  My German-made P228 had an FTF-per box of ammo until I put a couple hundred rounds through it.  My friend's P250 shot everything we threw at it right out of the box.  As with many other products, YMMV

In taking everyone here at their word I would conclude that 2340 and early 229's were tight and possibly needed more break in.  Later 229's and 2022 slide to frame tolerances were modified....

And of course reason #10 for not buying a P250...............The wife will tell you just to buy another frame instead of a completely new pistol........
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Wizzo,
I know what opinions are, but just a little something to think about.  Being a law enforcement officer MY life depends on that gun as well as the general public.  Having said that if you bought a new parachute and it failed to open 25% of the time would you "write home" about it.  I am not arguing or being a douche bag just stating that the gun sucks.  If you ask any Sig rep they are going to say the same thing.  Many Sig dealers are dropping the 250 from their inventory because they keep coming back in with various issues.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wizzo,

I know what opinions are, but just a little something to think about. Being a law enforcement officer MY life depends on that gun as well as the general public. Having said that if you bought a new parachute and it failed to open 25% of the time would you "write home" about it. I am not arguing or being a douche bag just stating that the gun sucks. If you ask any Sig rep they are going to say the same thing. Many Sig dealers are dropping the 250 from their inventory because they keep coming back in with various issues.

I spose my first response came off a little harsh.

I'm not trying to be a dick either, I just don't expect something to be 100% from the get go. Fresh machining needs some running to smooth out.

There's going to be more burrs (even ones you can't see) in there that cause more friction than something that's got even 400rds through it.

I understand that you need it to be 100% based on your line of work, but I'd put at least another 300-400rds through it (which should be trouble free) before I'd shitcan it.

Just my opinion. I don't expect to buy something and drop it in the holster that day. It's gotta prove that it's reliable first through 4-500rds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Roger that.  On another note though I bought a Sig 229 SAS and it runs like a sewing machine.  If you are in the market.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#14]
And that's the thing, despite a few S-Pro and P229 owners, mostly LE, that had the same break-in issues, I don't know of a single one that didn't report swiss-watch-like reliability after this break-in.  Beretta is the only maker i'm aware of that addresses some of the break-in at the factory.  Everything else (cept maybe Glocks) needs to be shot enough for the slide and frame to "mate."  For my own purposes I like to have 700-900 rounds through a weapon before I really trust it.  You never know when a substandard part may fail, but a seriously defective part will likely rear its ugly head in this range in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And of course reason #10 for not buying a P250...............The wife will tell you just to buy another frame instead of a completely new pistol........

well played
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#16]
keep shooting it, see what develops
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
keep shooting it, see what develops

This, for sure.

I wouldn't consider 104 rounds to be enough of a break-in period for ANY autoloader.

Check back in when you've put at least 200-300 more rounds down the pipe.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#18]
While I agree that you should shoot it more, I have seen many 250's with problems right out of the box. I personally wouldn't have one based on my experiences with them.

That's just IME. YMMV. Hope it works out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top