Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2010 5:38:55 PM EDT
Lookin for some information on this little pocket handgun. I know Colt stopped producing them, but other then that I'm not entirely educated on them. My questions have to do with accuracy, reliability, ammunition preferences I can use as a basis to start with, and any other general tips you guys can impart upon me. I know accuracy with such a short barrel can't be expected to be too high, especially with the little sights. Mainly I'm concerned with the reliability of this little gun.  Anyone who has owned these tell me about your experiences with shooting this gun please. I currently have 300 rounds of Fiocchi .380 in 95gr FMJ. I know this ammo tends to be a little on the hot side, so I'm hoping it'll cycle this gun well. My last question is I've been told about upgrading the guide rod to a steel one and the guide rod spring to Wolf springs.  Have any Mustang owners done this to their gun?

I know there's a lot of questions there but I really appreciate the answers any of you can give me.

Thanks
Apothus
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
tag...  i just got a mustang a couple of weeks ago...
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm waiting on crimson trace to put out some grips for it and p238...
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Lightning, which is basically a Mustang II I think.

There was a recall once upon a time. They sent me a spring replacement or upgrade. Anyway, I followed the instructions and installed/replaced whatever it was. Pistol works fine. No tac-driver but at short range you can stay in the kill zone no problem. I suggest contacting Colt to see if your piece needs the upgrade.

Lots of info here-

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=195213
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Colt Mustang and Ruger LCP.  I prefer to carry the LCP.  Much lighter and easier to carry in a pocket holster in front pocket.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The Mustang came in a couple different variants,  The "Mustang", "Mustang Pocket-lite", Mustang Plus II and Plus II Pocket-lite.
The pocketlites had aluminum frames, and the Plus II version used the lower frame from the Government .380 giving you two more rounds.

I've never had any sort of trouble with mine.  It always seems to group better with slightly hotter ammo.  I usually carry Gold Dots in mine.  Aftermarket mags don't always lock the slide open
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt really missed out not making slightly larger in 9MM. Its locked breech so it would have worked
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Colt did make a Mustang sized 9mm. Dbl action. Had about a 12lb. trigger pull Called the "Pocket 9"
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one; I replaced the springs with Wolff Springs and installed a metal guide rod.  No accuracy or reliability problems but it's a bit disconcerting when you pull the thing out of your pocket and the safety has managed to disengage itself (before anyone ask, it was in a leather pocket holster that covered the left side of the gun not just shoved in my pocket).  If I'm going to pocket carry, I carry a LCP- the heavier trigger pull is a bit more comforting than the finer pull on the Mustang when it's resting next to the boys and the femoral artery.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang and wouldn't sell it, but they've gone way up on price and I think the Ruger is a better pocket gun (lighter and flatter for starters).  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#9]

They are neat little pistol, mine is ammo picky and not not 100 percent reliable. Colt also used some cheap parts in them.
Nice gun to shoot or as a collectable, not 100% reliable in my experience so i would chose it not as a primary ccw pistol.

I have a little NAA Guardian that is DAO and much more reliable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had a Colt Government .380 since they came out. I love the damn thing... No mechanical failures but some FTF with certain HP's.

It will eat any FMJ - 100%.

It will eat Golden Sabers with out fail but won't reliable work with Hyro Shock as the top two rnds in the mag. Put HS in positions 3-7 and they work fine. What happens is the top 2 rnds in the mag sit with the nose of the rnd pointed down a little from the spring force. The hollow point of the HS catches on the front of the mag. The GS’s have different shape bullet and cycle fine.

Very cool gun – enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My Mustang will feed the Hydro-shok bullets OK,  but the HS has always had a crappy feed profile.  Gold Dots or golden Sabers have a rounded profile that works well in most guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
My Mustang is a very reliable, feeds a variety of ammo with no problems. It is heavy compared to the P3AT it replaced, however the extra weight makes it easier for me to shoot. I replaced the guide rod with a Steve Bedair SS, just because I trust steel more than plastic. Very happy with mine, I got a pretty good price, and it's pretty good looking too:

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The Mustang is slick little pistol.  For a short period of time I lost the plunger for the safety lever. I fashioned a replacement from a 1911 slide stop plunger (a more secure-harder to disengage set-up) that is much harder to accidentally disengage the safety.  The slides appear to be soft and the slide stop will peen the slides.  A spare slide is nice to have. I have a metal guide rod with the Wolf spring.  I took the steel rod out, figuring that the factory synthetic rod acts as a shock buffer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had mine since 1990, 20 years of pocket carry. I put a few rounds through it about twice a year. It has never failed or had any stoppages. It is due for refinishing  and I might put some night sights on it when I fix it up. Great little gun!!!

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Mustang will feed the Hydro-shok bullets OK,  but the HS has always had a crappy feed profile.  Gold Dots or golden Sabers have a rounded profile that works well in most guns.

I wonder if this is due to the shorter mag?
IE: less spring force?

I have 4 factory mags and they all do the same thing. As they feed the gap closes.

Loaded with 7 Rnds

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#16]
bought mine in 1983 and its never failed me yet.  I love my Mustang.  Just struggling to find ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top