Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 3:56:29 PM EDT
I was thinking about getting a Full size 9mm that S&W makes. Don't know much about  their autos. I've owned many other autos, ie, Browning, CZ, Ruger,  S.A. etc.  Went to GunsAmerica and the S&W website. There are so many models of autos .....   This will be used for everyday plinking and home protection. Not for CCW.   Budget  is key.  $500.00 or so.   What to buy?  Any info or experience with, would be appreciated.

I own two S&W .357 revolvers so I know there quality is top notch. Just haven't had any experience with their autos.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned many S&W autos and never had a jam or failure of any kind.  They also were more accurate than most guns.  Really there's not much to dislike.  I think alot of people didn't like the goofy safety on the slide deal when they first came out because everyone else was used to the BHP and GM, so like all new products people had to find something to hate about it and the safety was good enough to hate.  I still hate it myself, but it's the same on the Beretta and many others people have finally gotten used to.

First of all, get the thrid generation guns.  Their earlier guns are good too, but I think the 3rd gens feel better in your hand, and have better features.  You can tell it's thrid generation by the numbers.  The model number on first generation is two digit (e.g. 39, 59), the second gen is two digit (e.g. 459, 669), the thrid gen is four digit (e.g. 5906, 1076).  Some of the most recent autos though went back to three digit, so know what you're looking at.  If you can't tell, just ask here.

For your stated uses, unless you want brand new, consider a used gun.  S&Ws don't hold their value as well as other guns because the police trade-in market has taken a bite out of what you can sell a used Smith and Wesson for.  So if you buy a used one, while you get a good gun, it's value drops as fast as an automobile's.  As soon as you take it home it's worth ALOT less.

I would get a police trade-in 5906.  They are dirt-cheap. They are usually in nice shape as well.  Hi-cap mags are inexpensive and everywhere.  The gun is all stainless steel, so it will last forever in 9mm.  It's a tad heavier than an alloy frame gun, but since you aren't going to carry it, that makes it easier to shoot.  9mm is cheap and easy to shoot.  If you don't like 9mm, the other calibers are available as well(.40,.45,10mm).  

Take a good look around as well.  There are four used S&W autos at the local gunshop right now that are all $350 or under and any of them are worth buying and would last forever.

S&W has made alot of autos.  All of them pretty much work the same, the only difference is things lice calbier, size, mag capacity, etc.  So just look for one that you like.  When all else fails, ask a question here.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
SW99 is worth a look and in that price range.  I have one in 40cal and it functions perfectly every time.  It has different backstraps to fit your hand and it has a rail for lights.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
SW99 is worth a look and in that price range.  I have one in 40cal and it functions perfectly every time.  It has different backstraps to fit your hand and it has a rail for lights.  
www.swfirearms.vista.com/userimages/120201_large.jpg

Thanks.... but I already own a Walther P99.
It also has to be S/S.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the S&W 1911, I love it. Has never, ever FTF, FTE. THis is the 4th S&W auto I have owned and I have never had problems out of them excecpt the Sigma. Stay away from the Sigma series... other than that go for it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
whats wrong with sigma series?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You can't be serious?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't be serious?

Heh heh heh... he wouldnt ask that question if he has ever purchased one...

My brother bought one a while back and he had feed problems, ejection problems, even after having a gunsmith polish the feed ramp among other minor things it still was not 100% reliable... S&W is a great brand, but this model has been the redheaded stepchild since it came out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's S&W's version of Colt's All-American 2000.

Every gun company shits the bed at some point or another.

Good point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
took the plunge and bought it 175.00 hell i can get forty each for high cap mags but went to the range and its a keeper smooth shooter ,no problems two hundred rds diffrent fmj, hollow points ,half jackets i guess other peoples trash is other peoples treasures  dm59
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah... I guess every once in a while you get lucky... I went looking in a local gun shop today and told him I was looking for a plinker... he showed me a Sigma series and I wanted to hit him in the face with it... good luck with it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top