Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 2:02:58 PM EDT
I read an article a while back on the Remington Model 51 pistol.  Sounded like a pretty damn neat piece.  Had the chance to handle one at a gun show a few months back and ZANG!  I would call that little beauty ahead of it's time.  Low to the hand, fit damn nice and appeared to be very well made.  So I've read about em', handled it, but haven't had a chance to shoot one and don't know how they are for reliability, preferred ammo, and what-not.

Anybody have some first hand experience? Do they handle the broad spectrum of different bullet designs?  Accuracy?  Any quirks or hang ups?

TIA

Sly
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]

They were last made in 1935 so parts and magazines could be a problem. General Patton had one. I think it had pearl grip stocks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Pearl grips?  Oh yeah, for his pimp gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Despite everything written about him bashing them, he owned them. You can't believe everything in the movies or what the "experts" say after they see a movie.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]

By Robert2011:  They were last made in 1935 so parts and magazines could be a problem. General Patton had one. I think it had pearl grip stocks.

Thanks for the information, I knew they were made a long time ago.  Since it's been so long I'm betting it'll be a bitch for me to find some aftermarket white pearlescent grips to go with it for a night on the town....  Oh well.

Sly
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Does this look something like a 1911? If it is, I shot one of those things, OUCH! That gun sure has a real snappy recoil which is probably due to direct blow back locking design.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I have a couple of Remington 51s.  They are neat.  Best features are the overall thinness and the low bore axis.  Mine work fine, albeit they are only used occasionally for fun, and they are fed factory ball ammo.  Recoil is not harsh, but certainly not what I would consider light either.  

They are nothing like a 1911... (I suppose the Colt Pocket Model 1903 is what this reference was alluding to).  

Other off-hand observatons:
Sights are very tiny and almost invisible to my aging eyes.  
When you come across these little jewels at a gunshow, it is very common for the original grips (hard-rubber or plastic) to have hair-line cracks.   Something to look out for.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top