Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 1:48:56 PM EDT
would you carry your CCW firearm without goin to the range right after you took it apart and did major cleaning? Dunno if this is even an issue. I personally feel safer after coming back from the range and have  atleast ran a couple mags thru it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would I go dirty a clean weapon just to carry it dirty?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
a lot of people say you just test fire a weapon after putting it together. After i clean my G27   every  50 or so rounds.  I  strip it and clean it. There are so few moving parts in a glock and my skill level is at  one i am more than comfortable with just holstering it afterwards. I guess it's your comfort level  and  confidence in your ability with  your weapon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I do all the time.  Although when I think about it.... I'm not so sure it's the prudent thing to do.

I carry a Glock.  I know it'll work just fine from Glock...However, I am the weakest link in the equation.  Once I get my fingers in there, it may or may not be up to spec.  However I always do a thorough function check so I'm confident it will work. A funtion check is absolutely necessary and when properly performed will confirm it's servicability.

I don't carry a dirty pistol period.  I don't want to find myself the unfortunate match to a guy who just offed the clerk at the local stop-n-rob.  I get pulled over cause I match the description, they check me out and LO and behold!  I've got a gun that appears to have been fired... I'd just rather not have to answer any more questions than necessary.

But I guess thinking about it a bit more, it wouldn't hurt to fire a round just to make sure it'll go bang... But still it'll show signs of being fired and my neighbors (city) probably wouldn't take to kindly to the report. YMMV

Sly
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are talking about Field stripping and cleaning it I do it all the time.  I also inspect it for any signs of dammage or ware.  A couple of months ago after shooting at the range I field stripped my Glock and cleaned it I also did a function test (safety check) in the process I found that the slide stop lever spring was broken.  The gun functiond fine at the range through 200 or so rounds.  This could have cause a malfunction.  I returned to the range/shop and purchased a new slide stop lever and spring insted of just replaceing the spring.  I then fired 100 more rounds through it.  It worked with out a failure.  If you are talking about takeing it all the way apart.  I always shoot it after I do this just to be sure with at least 100 rounds.  Once I go home or sometimes at the range I Field strip it clean it and inspect it.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Field strip and clean, no problem.  Detail strip, make sure it works
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Your supposed to clean a Glock?  

I only test fire my guns if I have done some major work to it. I don't if I do just a basic cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Exactly.  

If it is your carry gun, you shold have complete confidence in it.  Even after a FS and clean.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  

If it is your carry gun, you shold have complete confidence in it.  Even after a FS and clean.

Field strip only:  Good to go.
Detail strip:  Test it.  THEN field strip and clean it again!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I was talking DETAIL strip, not field strip. Thanks for replys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have to fire a weapon after detail stripping it to ensure that it works then maybe you shouldn't be detail stripping it at all
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a bad habit of learning how to completely detail stripping every weapon that I own, and once I know how to do that, I don't just field strip very often.

After doing a detail strip of the firearm, I do several function checks to make sure that it works, and then if it's my carry gun for the day, or whatever, I load it and don't worry about it.

If you have any doubts about your ability to detail strip a firearm, and put it back together, don't do it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why would I go dirty a clean weapon just to carry it dirty?

This answers this question , right here!  nothing else needs to be said!!!

If you can't trust a weapon, clean or dirty, why carry it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no problem with carrying a loaded weapon after either field stripping or detail stripping.  I do a full functions test after assemble and that includes inserting a pencil down the barrel (pistol held vertical) and dropping the hammer.  If pencil doesn't get lunched than I strip her down again.  Do this with all 38/9mm cal pistols and revolvers.  However don't do it with the crew served weapons or my M4.   Can't test fire all weapons every time we clean the guns in a combat zone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Fascinating!  In 50 years of using guns, I've never had this question come up.  I am able to detail strip every gun I own - Except the old Browning shotguns which almost never break, require precision screwdrivers to open, and are too valuable to screw around with - anyway.  

Because I'm the only person I know who, ever, detail strips a revolver I suspect that your question refers, strictly, to semi-automatic pistols.  (Revolvers rarely need to be detail stripped.)  

After detail stripping a carry pistol, I'll function test it and, maybe, drop the hammer a few times.  Generally speaking if the pistol goes back together without any problems, then, it's good-to-go.  If you do something wrong when re:assembling a gun you usually discover it immediately because most mistakes will have a negative effect on the rest of what you're trying to put together.  If you're not mechanically inclined it might put your mind at ease to use either, 'Gun Scrubber' or, 'Dunk-It' pistol cleaning solutions.  

In my experience problems with carry pistols usually come from the ammunition - not the re:assembled pistol, itself.  (PS:  Anyway, you should always carry a backup gun - right!)    
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I do exactly as Combat_Diver does every time I take the fire control parts out of one of my handguns.  The pencil down the barrel trick assures that you’ve gotten everything back together correctly!  

With a gun that is otherwise KNOWN to be reliable this is my final check before loading and putting it in my IWB holster.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Major cleaning, no. Never had a problem.
ANY modification, yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top