Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 9:46:24 AM EDT
Need recomendations PLZ:

Extencive cleaning kit that will cover most calibers.

Solvents, is their a solvent that will remove led and most gunk all in one?  What do you think about Sweets?

Bore Brushes: and old timer that shoots at the range that I run in to alot told me that I should not use a bore brush. He said that a bore brush is a quick fix, that excessive use can dammage a barrel.  He told me to get a good quality solvent to so the job.  Is this true or is it just real old school?  On my Glock I like never use a bore brush and if I do it is the one provided.  I also have a H&R 733 .32S&W Long, nothing of great value but it was the first hadgun I ever shot.  I am heasitant to use a brush on the barrel, is it ok to use the brush or should I find a solvent?

What do you think about Bore Snakes?

What do you think about arisol spray cleaners?  I generaly after 2000 rounds or so I disasemble my Glock 23 all the way and clean everything.  I was told if I use a spray on it that I will have to take it take it all the way down and re oil everything any way?  Is this true.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd avoid most "kits" as they'll have junk you'll never use. Get a handgun sized cleaning rod, a jag for each caliber & if you wish to brush your bore, use what they call a "tornado" brush instead of a standard brush.

Stick with brass or copper brushes as they're softer than the bore & won't scratch it. I doubt if the S/S brushes would scratch them either.

Hoppes #9 has been around for years as has Sweets, both are ok to use.

Lots of folks use bore snakes now, I haven't yet made that leap.

Spray solvents is what I use on my frames, I usually use brake cleaner if I can't find Gun Scrub locally.

As for your old gun, I'd absolutely clean the bore with a good brush because there's no telling how much lead has built up thru the years in there.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Any good kit works well.  Remington, Kleenbore etc. Buy proper size patches for the caliber of bore,  Hoppe's #9 and Breakfree CLP. A good supply of cotton rags.   I've been shooting for more than four decades. Anything else is up to the individual perspective.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Hoppes #9 , the approiate brush,a bore snake ( barrel rope), some patches and hoppes lube. DO NOT put break free in your barrel. some Q-tips and a tooth brush if you want to get  anal about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
kleenbore.bizland.com/store/product314.html

Tactical Cleaning Kit
$45.00
TAC-100

Now available to law enforcement, Kleen-Bore introduces a Universal Weapons Care System for handguns, rifles, and shotguns. This all-inclusive kit is conveniently packaged in a rugged, zippered bi-fold pouch with multiple internal compartments. Equipped with the following: (5) piece stell univeral cleaning rod with a rotating nylon handle and muzzle guard, (5) phosphor bronze brushes (popular law enforcement calibers and gauges), (4) brass rifle and handgun patch jags for professional bore cleaning results. For cleaning, a premium Copper Cutter Solvent for the removal of copper, lead, powder residue and melted wad plastic. For lubricating, High Tech TW25B Oil that ensures optimum semi-auto performance. Also included are assorted cotton patches, silicone gun cloth, shotgun adapter, shotgun patch holder, double ended nylon gun brush and a Chamber-Flag. An excellent kit for departments, agencies, and the multiple gun owner.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
why should I not put break free in my barrel?  I have never heard that before.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Any excess lubricant should be removed from the barrel, regardless of brand.
Any moisture can split a barrel, when fired.
I've been using a pail of kerosene for years (take obvious precautions) for cleaning.
Field strip, toss in, brush stubborn spots, use compressed air, relube, reassemble.
The crud settles to the bottom, leaving clean kerosene for the next gun to be cleaned.
Thats my cleaning kit, for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The Otis Cleaning System is all I've ever needed. It will clean everthing from my .22 to .45.

Oh, and some FP-10
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Kleen-Bore pocket kit with brushes for each handgun cal I own, except for the Five-Seven, which has it's own kit.
My AR has it's own kit, as does the AK.
I have a 12 GA. Boresnake for my 870.

For cleaning solvents, I use Slip2000 for cleaning, and Militec lube and grease, depending on which firearm I am cleaning.

I always finish the barrel off with a wet oil patch, followed by a dry one.

Never had a problem with a lubed bore. As long as it isn't soaking wet with oil, there is no problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top