Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2004 6:51:57 PM EDT
So a buddy of mine in his infinit wisdom got a scoped .454 a few weeks ago.  Well his ammo showed up the other day and he asked me how to sight in properly.  I have no idea how to sight in a pistol properly.  I'm assuming it is just like a rifle, but do they make benches for a pistol,? or just hold it as steady as possible and go from there?  Any advice would be great.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
haha...sighting in a .454.That's a good one. If you get more than 3 shots on paper at 50yds. your doing okay.
Suggestion from a ex .454 owner, sight it in with 45 long colt, that way he will save more ammo and be able to shoot more than 10 rounds.
After he gets it hitting paper consistently, you should only need to move it up or down slightly (an inch or two) at 50yds. Look at the ballistics comparison of a 454 and 45 LC, that way you will know what to expect in drop difference.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the first thing to do is pick the ammo you are going to use and stay with it, sighting in a 454 Casull is not a real great experience (However it is a real great cartridge). I use a cast 335 at around 1600 fps as it best suits my needs. Since the Revolver is scoped, sight it in at 100 yards and most loads will drop around 9 inches from muzzle at 100 yards. When sighting in a scoped Revolver I shoot off a bench with sandbags. You didn't mention the type of Revolver but if it is a SRH I would switch to the Hogue Grip or your middle finger (knuckle) will probably take a terrible beating from the trigger guard. I have 3 454 Casulls and really like them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think the first thing to do is pick the ammo you are going to use and stay with it, sighting in a 454 Casull is not a real great experience (However it is a real great cartridge). I use a cast 335 at around 1600 fps as it best suits my needs. Since the Revolver is scoped, sight it in at 100 yards and most loads will drop around 9 inches from muzzle at 100 yards. When sighting in a scoped Revolver I shoot off a bench with sandbags. You didn't mention the type of Revolver but if it is a SRH I would switch to the Hogue Grip or your middle finger (knuckle) will probably take a terrible beating from the trigger guard. I have 3 454 Casulls and really like them.

It's a taurus and he already put the hogue grip on it.  Any advice for shooting it off sandbags, besides don't be a stupid.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you properly sight in a .454?

With your eyes closed and your head turned down and to the right.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
xbigfootx
The Raging Bull is a very soft shooter in comparison to the 454 SRH or Model 83 Freedom Arms. It is somewhat heavy (which helps) and I like the factory grip. I would shoot a few standing to get a feel for it and when you shoot off the bags refrain from putting your weak palm on bottom of the grip and make sure your weak thumb is not behind the cylinder shroud when you hit the trigger. In all honesty the 454 Casull really isn't all that bad if you work with the recoil, if you fight the recoil you'll lose. The Raging Bull is one of my favorite Revolvers it's pretty easy to live with. Some of the early Raging Bulls had weak springs from the factory, shoot it double action a little bit and make sure there are no failures. If there is a problem Taurus is real good with their Customer Service.
Have fun with the Bull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top