Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 5:43:59 AM EDT
This is posted in GD as well, but I thought you guys might have some information as well.

It is not my pistol,  Iam just hosting the pics for the guy.

The pics are HUGE so they are just links here:

www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/colt041.jpg

www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/colt043.jpg

TRG
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
ive got it on good authority that it was retired Texas Ranger Jim Peters gun so im gonna have to track him down and ask him about it................

colt in .38 w.c.f., gold hammer and screws

serial # 167,6XX

and another thing that struck me as strange...................if you cock the gun, then decock the gun it goes back to the original shell

if anybody knows a value or anything further than what i know on this gun i'd appreciate hearing about it

and where the hell can i find ammo for it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I put a post on  the General board. The gun doesn't look that old. Colt has made the 38/40Win. off and on for years, in fact I think you can still order one from the custom shop in this caliber. Like I said on the other board, check out the SASS Wire and all your questions will be answered. Lots of good floks over there that know just about everything about Colt SAA revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
ya, but the best i can tell everything made after the first generation has letters in the serial #, this one doesn't
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW.  The only thing I can say for sure is that it has a smokeless powder frame.  

I’d go over to forums.sixgunner.com/ and ask those guys, I’m sure they’ll have some answers for you.

Good luck,
Ed
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Smokeless powder frames came in when, '96,'98 some where around there. Do a google search on Colt sn# and it'll tell ya' when it was made.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]

and another thing that struck me as strange...................if you cock the gun, then decock the gun it goes back to the original shell

and where the hell can i find ammo for it?

Sounds like the locking bolt spring is broken.  Take it to a gunsmith who knows Colt SAAs and have it replaced and check its timing.

Cowboy action shooting has brought many of these old calibers back into the spotlight.  Reloading components are easy to find.  Factory loads shouldn't be too difficult.

This caliber is the black powder equivalent of the .40 S&W.

Kent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top