Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 11:46:54 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with both of these pistols that can give a good recommendation?

I've shot the MKII on several occasions. It's a fun gun but a total bitch when it comes to dis- reassembly. I like the look and feel of it and I favor the option of, down the road, getting is suppressed either integrally or externally.

I have been seeing more and more of the P22 in ads and such and just looked at a couple at the local gun shop, but didn't handle it. The price is nice on there, they look pretty sharp, but I have no experience with that model or brand for that matter. I've seen ads from Gemtech and the likes so I know it's possible to suppress these as well, just not integrally. But they offer the mounting rail which is nice, and the controls are in keeping with most full caliber semi-auto pistols.

This is a down the road purchase. I want one becaus ethey are cheap and fun to shoot and it would be a good one for my son and his cousins to learn on. I wouldn't consider it a HD pistol... unless roaming bands of Smurfs were terrorizing my neighborhood.

The suppressor would be a distant purchase at best, but I'd like to get one some day, and this or my AR would be the recipients. Plus it would be nice to plink at squirrels in th back yard without freaking out the neighbors all around my residential home. Or shooting at phone books in the garage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
i own two p22's one for me  and one for my g/f.  I bought one for her b/c she wouldn't leave mine alone.i purchased one for a can  and she likes it b/c it's  small frame. shoots great  , very accurate.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a P22 & had a Ruger Mk1 as a teenager, so here's the scoop:

Both are reliable.

P22 is a lot more James Bond secret agent cool. Threaded barrel will let you install a can easily.

Ruger is more accurate. You'll be able to plink squirrels 25 yards away with it. With the Walther? No way.

You decide what is more important.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ruger is more accurate. You'll be able to plink squirrels 25 yards away with it. With the Walther? No way.

What makes the Ruger more accurate? Barrel length or the way it functions compared to a regular semi-auto?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a lot of reasons why the ruger is more accurate, here are a few:
1.   Stationary Sights
2.   Tighter chamber
3.   One piece barrel
4.   Target trigger
5.   Single action
6.   Longer barreled versions have a longer sight radius and therefore are easier to shoot at longer distances
7.   Target grips available and standard on the Govt. model
8.   Better sights
9.   Adjustable trigger
10. Better balanced for target shooting

Comparing these two pistols is like comparing apples to oranges.  They have different purposes.   If you are on a budget and want a modular suppressor, then the P22 is the way to go.  Keep in mind you can get a screw on type suppressor for the ruger too, but it requires machining the pistol.  If you want a field gun that you can target shoot, then buy the ruger.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
When you say there is a difference in accuracy, what is the margin of difference... are we talking on vs off the paper, or MOA difference with a steady hand? I'm not looking to shoot the wing off a gnat... just make holes in paper, knock cans around and shit like that... but I would like to hit the targets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are shooting beyond 15 yds there will be a noticable difference both on paper and on stuff like coke cans.  For example; at 25yds with a P22 you will be trying to hit the coke can and with a MKII you will be trying to shoot through the ends of the coke can.  Within 15yds you will probably be able to shoot the same stuff for the most part.  The MKII will be easier to shoot, but a lot of that is simply in the type of sights and sight radius.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Okay, it goes without saying that I'm a big fan of the Ruger MKII, especially in an integrally suppressed mode.

But the fact is that the Ruger is a longer pistol to begin with, and with a muzzle can installed, it gets v-e-r-y long.  The Ruger is the most accurate, and most reliable by far, but if I were going to by a muzzle can instead of having the pistol integrally suppressed, I'd go with the P22.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]
 Having owned several MKII's and the P22 also here's my take:

The P22 is fun, it is acceptable accurate for goofing around and it is the best damn girl gun on the planet.

If you want a gun that will last you a lifetime, that is extremely reliable, accurate and can take abuse you get a MKII.  The disassembly thing is NOT that bad; you just have to watch and know what you are doing.  I have been breaking down MKII's since they came out ( I think I was 11 or 12 ) and it has NEVER been a problem.  You just have to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and pay close attention to what you are doing.  Once you get it down, it's cake.  The key is that some MKII's have a barrel/receiver fit that is so tight that you ALWAYS need a plastic mallet and a hard surface to put it together.  Others can be press fit back together on a table top.  Also, the mainspring group pin can be a REAL bitch....but again, some guns are easier than others.

I forgot to mention that the P22 can be a  little whore to re assemble if you aren't familiar with firearms also.  I hate the guide rod concept and think they could have done a MUCH better job with it.  So far of my friends who have bought them I am almost always the guy who ends up reassembling them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top