Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 6:03:35 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 22 cal semi-auto pistol for my son and would like to find one as similar as possible (slide action, mag release, etc.) to modern 9mm type pistols (Sig, etc.).

Of the few I've seen, the only one I like so far is the Browning Buckmark (I think that's the name).

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know much about the .22 autos but if you are looking for something to teach him you might concider a .22cal conversion.  They can get expencive I have shot one that was made by I believe advantage arms for a glock 17.  It functions exactly like the glock.  Search on the internet for .22 cal conversions.  Once he is ready you just switch it back.  If you want to buy him a gun to call his own, I have no clue.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Sig is coming out with a .22lr version of the 226 or  228--can't remember which one.  It is going to be 90% of the size.  I saw a link someplace, but I cannot remember where, sounded like it would be under $400.  Looked very cool.

Bruce Wayne
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Walther P22.  Smaller version of the Walther P99.

The grip is smaller and would be great for his hands too...

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
There are several very good quality .22 upper conversion kits that fit standard 9mm frames...the Advantage Arms conversions come immediately to mind (for Glocks) but they are made by other companies for Berettas and Sigs, and there is also Kimber's excellent little .22 upper for the 1911 pistols. You might give a look at these, or perhaps at the Beretta M87, a DA / SA .22lr pistol similar to, but not an exact copy of, the 92 series pistols.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I can reccomend the Browing Buckmark. It's an outstanding .22lr semi auto loader that has a grip that lends itself to small handed shooters.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
i taught my  small framed g/f  ( 5 ft 95 lbs)  on a walther P22,  with her small hands she can handle  it very well and now enjoys shooting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  Whaddya think about the Ruger 22/45?  I really like the feel, features and price.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The 22/45 has the same grip angle and feature locations of the 1911, but the safety is hard to put on/off and there are NO grip options.  The most important thing in my opinion would be ergonomics and quality.  I would go with the Ruger MK II over the 22/45 for the steel frame and the ability to change grips.  Baretta makes a .22 target pistol that is based off the 92, but a lot smaller.  I have been giving it thought myself.  Although, I do not know how well it shoots.  For quality .22 pistols I would recomend the following in no particular order

Smith & Wesson model 41 (My all time favorite)
Ruger MK II (A real classic)
Browning buckmark (Second favorite, but not a good choice if you enjoy gun smithing)
High Standard Victor
Marvel conversion kits for the 1911

Those pistols all come in target configurations from the factory

Others that I would not consider "target" quailty, but are still good guns are:
Walther/Smith P22
High Standard Sport King
Smith 22T (I'm not impressed with the internal quality, but it did last 5000 rds w/o breaking)

Pistols that I would avoid:
Baretta .22 tomcat (Unless he can't pull back the slide)
Baretta NEO (Simply not as accurate as I expected)
Ruger .22/45 (No grip changes.  Features can be difficult to use)

All of these firearms I either own now, have in the past , or fired at least 300rds through

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Walther P22.  Smaller version of the Walther P99.
The grip is smaller and would be great for his hands too...

Took the words right out of my mouth. Thinking about getting one myself.

For a young boy this would probablt be better because I can say with 99% surety that they are easier to disassmble than a Ruger MKII...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Good words bruthas.  

I'm off to check them all out.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Once you shoot a S&W modle 41 you won't want anything else .have mine since 1982 you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Once you shoot a S&W modle 41 you won't want anything else .have mine since 1982 you can't beat it.

I'll second that.  My MKII target model lasted only about 3 days.  The 41 is in a league of it's own.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a P22 with the 3.4 an 5in barrels.  Id has some feeding and etraction problems, always has.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top