Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 9:07:38 AM EDT
I have a 659......i always wanted a 4006.......but the nine came up...price right....beautiful condition.....so........anyway..it was a pos right from the start....i felt like a fool.....but determined to set it right....(i`m like that)....i took it apart...totally cleaned deburred polished...throated...checked spring condition...tension...(hell-the thing was LIKE NEW).....mag fit mag condition.....reassembled...lubed etc.....the thing shot about 700 rounds....no hitch....really decent accuracy....but...started the fail to extract thing again.....i am not a nine fan...but want to have one and this one really is a beautiful example....it was`nt that dirty...and my feelings are that i need to throat it a little more...(real careful about this procedure)...otherwise it really is a great handgun......just not sure at this time whether or not it will be NO to s&w autos...or yes...get the bugs out and o-k........
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a few that failed to extract after just two mags were shot. Tried everything to correct the problem...new extractor/spring didnt do it. If you look into the chamber, at least on mine, there was a groove left from the reamer,(ever so slight), which I think causes failures to fully extract, especially when dirty. You have to look very closely. I have a bunch of Smiths and like 'em just fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a serious s/w revolver colector....but only have one auto.....(1911 fan)...i truely love the thing but don`t understand it`s shortcomings...at least not yet.....i really think it`s just a matter of poor throat clearance from the factory......will keep you posted.........
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a S&W5906 9mm that I have had since about 1994.  It is built like a tank and I love it.  Never had a failure of any kind at all and it is as accurate as any other 9mm pistol I ever owned, except possibly the Sig P226.

I have just purchased a 4006TSW which I will have in my paws by next weekend.  The TSW line is probably the best built semi auto handgun on the market right now in terms of the manufacturing process and the material and workmanship that go into them.  Are they for everyone???  No, but what handgun is?

I've never owned or shot one of the Sigma type autos or even the ones which are alloy framed, but I do know the all steel heavy autos are awesome.  It's not a concealed carry gun, but for in the car or at the range they are a pleasure to shoot.  I'm looking for a 1006 in good shape right now.  It will be my next purchase.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W 411 here, the preban version of the 410, .40S&W big brother to the 915 (910). No frills, no ambidextrous safety, no pretty stainless, and NO problems whatsoever. First thing I did was replace the notched blade rear sight with a Novak low mount carry sight, and got a trigger job. I guess if I had any complaints (if you can even call this a complaint), it would be that it has a bit of muzzle flip to it. I guess that's because of the lightweight alloy frame. But then Glocks have muzzle flip for the same reason. I've tossed around the idea of getting a 4006 for a number of years - it uses the same mags as my 411 - and I'd LOVE to get a 4006TSW but they're cost prohibitive for me right now. I'll keep on the lookout for a decent condition 4006 police trade-in.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am a serious s/w revolver colector....but only have one auto.....(1911 fan)...i truely love the thing but don`t understand it`s shortcomings...at least not yet.....i really think it`s just a matter of poor throat clearance from the factory......will keep you posted.........

S&W revolvers, huh? Just traded away a 99%+ 1917 commercial, made between '22&'35...but got a mint model 28 AND two NIW Beretta 15 round mags and a Butler creek 25 rounder for the 10/22. Shot that 28 today...NOT FOR SALE! That thing shoots one holers! The adjustable sighted 645 is my favorite .45 auto, I wish I had two, my son got the other one, his first choice when he became 21. His quote was, "it shoots itself". I did have a 4006, the trigger was crunchy and I never thought the .40 cal. would take off...DUH?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Well when I say "serious"....it does`nt necessarily mean volume.....what it means is that I`m fussy about what I do have and seek out anything I might want to have (in s/w wheelguns).....example....just ran into a 4" mod 29...after 2 years of watching out for one......as far as the 28.....I aquired one of the last 27`s....new..after they already quit making them....one of the old farts in the store ...(hey...I`m one too) came up and said..."model 27 hey....most accurate 357 I ever shot...and I`ve had em` all)...well true or not it kind of makes you feel better..( I already had paid for it).....they way they`ve been "playing" lately (s/w) you never can tell what will be dropped next.........Of course..I hav`nt bought "new" in about 2-3 years......
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
OH.........Wait......for those who think ..."serious".....and "huge".....have the same meaning.........check your dictionary............or......just......"fuck-off".........
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Have had a 39-2 for years.  Love it.  Fits my hand like no other.

Couple of quirks about Smiths, in my experience.  One, they like to be clean, real clean.  Two, they like to be kept lubed.  Nothing special, plain old gun oil works just fine.  But don't try to shoot a Smith dry.  It just won't work.

Also remember that at various times Smith has had QC problems.  The early 59's were probably the worst.  At the time they came out they were the only game in town and everybody and their brother had to have one.  I can remember early - mid 70"s Shotgun News prices of over $350, wholesale.  To meet demand, Smith cranked them out as fast as they could.  And at times quality slipped.  Also be weary of the late 80's gun of the week craze.  For a while there I think Smith simply pulled parts of the the bin blindfolded to create a new variation.  Let's see the full size stainless slide on a blued compact frame, DAO, with novak sights would equal the S & W 5650, no, it would be a 6927, no that's not it. I don't know how many variations they came up with back then, must be in the dozens.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Have had a 39-2 for years.  Love it.  Fits my hand like no other.

Couple of quirks about Smiths, in my experience.  One, they like to be clean, real clean.  Two, they like to be kept lubed.  Nothing special, plain old gun oil works just fine.  But don't try to shoot a Smith dry.  It just won't work.

Also remember that at various times Smith has had QC problems.  The early 59's were probably the worst.  At the time they came out they were the only game in town and everybody and their brother had to have one.  I can remember early - mid 70"s Shotgun News prices of over $350, wholesale.  To meet demand, Smith cranked them out as fast as they could.  And at times quality slipped.  Also be weary of the late 80's gun of the week craze.  For a while there I think Smith simply pulled parts of the the bin blindfolded to create a new variation.  Let's see the full size stainless slide on a blued compact frame, DAO, with novak sights would equal the S & W 5650, no, it would be a 6927, no that's not it. I don't know how many variations they came up with back then, must be in the dozens.  

Yep.....honestly..I had this idea also...I`ll bet this one falls right in there...it is in such good shape...I dont believe it was ever broken in...and who would want to keep a jam-o.....so..I did see some nicks/burrs inside the thing that led me to think it WAS hastily put together.....it works real nice when it does work....I`ll keep playing till it`s good....I like it....price was right.........thanks guys....happy powder burns...or whatever....
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Some time back I got a great deal on a 1981 model 59. Owner said the gun jammed and never could get it to eat a full magazine even with ball ammo.

I tore it down, cleaned and checked everything and found nothing out of the ordinary. However when I took it to the range it would consistently fail to extract fired cases at unpredictable intervals.

Careful refitting of the extractor solved the problem. Cost nothing, took 30 minutes to do at the range and involved a punch, hammer and small jewlers file.  It hasn't missed a lick since!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had a 469 since 1985, I have a couple thousand rounds through it and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top