Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2004 11:43:54 PM EDT
Is Fobus a good brand, I was looking at the Kydex paddle holster.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The Fobus are plastic and not Kydex.  What that means I have no clue, as I really don't know dick about materials, but there you have it.  I have Fobus holsters for several of my guns.  They work well and don't cost much.  I wouldn't say they're the best made holsters either.  They use a rivet system to hold the two molded halves together, and I've seen them pull through.  There are no retention devices, other than the pressure on the trigger guard.

They hold the gun steady, comfortably and they're easy to reholster.  I'd say you get what you pay for in holsters, but the Fobus is worth it's price.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
They're OK to put a pistol in for casual carry or range use. Pass on them for serious CCW or duty use...they are cheap and their performance reflects the quality, no matter what the ads say.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
They are excellent holsters for the price.  They do the job well.  The pistol rides high and close (except for the roto holster).  As mentioned, they are not retention holsters... but your gun will not fall out.  I wear one every day... zero problems.  I believe also that they carry a lifetime guarantee.  If a rivet pops out (hasn't happpened to me yet with constant use) I think the company will repair/replace it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
well...I got a roto holster for my Para.   I guess for $25, it's ok for the woods or a known muddy/wet environment, but I definately wouldn't use this holster for ccw.  Mine fits a little bit loose, makes a wierd steel-on-plastic rattle when I run.  I guess it depends on what you plan to use it for.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey!

Had the FOBUS for my SA1911-A1 and after a couple of months it lost its retention on the pistol. I called and returned it they sent me a new one for free (lifetime warranty). I recently picked up a UNCLE MIKE'S "kydex" holster for my PO 14.45 LDA. This one has two adjustable screws for tension on the gun. I've used it for draw and fire practice and it works great so far. As mentioned before, they are inexpensive holsters but with a lifetime warranty, it's not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I used the FOBUS holsters for several years, and I think that they're a great value.  The paddle is one of the best designs I've seen; the two locking points prevent the holster from rotating during the draw.

Several of our local IDPA guys, myself included, used to make what we called an Uncle Fobus.  We liked the straight drop of the Uncle Mike's holster, and the tension screws, and we liked the Fobus paddle, so we drilled out the rivets on the Fobus, and attached the Fobus paddle to the Uncle Mike's holster.  Worked like a charm.

I've since switched to Blade-Tech holsters.  I believe that their the BEST kydex holster available.  I just have them install twin retention points on the paddle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked at blade tech and they didn't offer the holster I wanted in left hand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Try comp-tac.  Sorry I don't know the address.  I would pick the u mikes over the fobus.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I looked at blade tech and they didn't offer the holster I wanted in left hand.

You might want to contact them, as they can make ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
One notch above Uncle Mike's nylon holsters IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The Fobus paddle for my GLOCK 19 is the best $20 I have ever spent on gun gear. It is more comfortable, more secure, and faster than many holsters I have used for 2-4 times the price of the Fobus.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I got them, I dont have a decent holster yet.  I got to find and IWB holster.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Fobus, and found it to be mediocre. Recently bought a G-code kydex for my XD-9, and found it to be much nicer than the Fobus.

Gunners alley has G-code along with several other brands, and their customer service simply can't be beat.

gunnersalley.com

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Fobus paddle for my GLOCK 19 is the best $20 I have ever spent on gun gear. It is more comfortable, more secure, and faster than many holsters I have used for 2-4 times the price of the Fobus.

What he said.

I have used one for CC for the past couple of years and have never had any problems. I also use it for IDPA and never had any troubles either. Some people just don't like to save money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheap is as cheap does. You get what you pay for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top