Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2004 1:28:21 PM EDT
I wanted to remove my grips from my Kimber to install some new grips I bought and the screws came out the with the bushing. So how do I remove the bushing from the screw without SCREWING up the threads!

One tip I heard of was to lock-tite the bushing to the frame and then taking out the scew, but I don't really want to do this as it will be very difficult to remove bushing from the frame later. Any other ideas??
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use loctite Blue...... it'll fix ya right up

loctite blue
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Taake a pair of pliers (I prefer the needle-nose version for this), wrap the jaws with tape, then clamp down on the bushing with the taped jaws while removing the screws with the screwdriver.  It's not a big deal, I've probably used that trick a hundred times over the years for a variety of 1911s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I second the needle nose with electrical tape trick.  Or a soft thick cloth and needle nose plier has worked for me in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would you want to remove the bushings? Use red lock-tite for the bushings let them cure and remove the screws. Promlem solved. At a future date you still can remove the bushings but it won't be by accadent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why would you want to remove the bushings? Use red lock-tite for the bushings let them cure and remove the screws. Promlem solved. At a future date you still can remove the bushings but it won't be by accadent.

Second vote for Red Loctite, I use this and it works the best
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather have the option to easily remove the bushings if the need arises so I'll vote for blue.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Second vote for Red Loctite, I use this and it works the best

One problem with this method:

If you decide to put on slim slabs, you will have to replace the bushing, thus the reason for using blue.  You're removing a future option that doesn't need to be closed.

Jeff

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
'nother vote for the blue.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#9]
To remove the screw from the bushing, you can take a couple pieces of soft scrap wood and use them as vise jaw pads.  Clamp the bushing in the vise and you should be able to remove the screw.  

The problem with using blue Loctite on your bushings is, what are you going to do to keep your screws from loosening?   If you are pretty confident that you won't need to put on slim grips & bushings anytime soon, go ahead and use red Loctite on the bushings.   It can be removed by heating the parts with a hair dryer or heat gun.  I like to use a little blue Loctite on my grip screws.  They are still easily removed and there is less likelihood of stripping them or the bushing threads by overtightening them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
sell it to me for $25 and buy a new gun

JK

+1 for blue, but nothing beats electrical tape!  But no Jap-wrap!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a freaking bushing that you can't see so who cares if it gets marred.  Just don't distort it so bad it can't be staked back in.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top