Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:17:15 AM EDT
I've been thinking about beefing up my handgun collection to a second semi-auto
.  I've had a 92F for a long time, but it really is a poor fit for me and also not exactly lefty friendly.

Being left handed, I'd like one that is as close to ambidextrous as possible.  Any recommendations?  I'm thinking 9mm or 40.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything HK really. If you get a USP/USPC type handgun the only thing you'll have to add is a V2 control lever. That's what I had to do since I'm a southpaw as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#2]
A buddy of mine that is a lefty shoots an S&W M&P 9mm.  Ambidextrous via everything being reversable.

I like my Hk P7 because everything is ambidextrous from the outset of the basic design.  Sharp German engineers!

But, the M&P gets my nod because of the options, flexability, capacity, and weight.  The Hk is a great CCW gun, but the more modern guns like the S&W benefit from 20+ years of more real-world needs incorporated into their design.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Find a gun that fits, points naturally and does what you want.  Is it a cc gun?  A range toy?  A SHTF backup?  

ARE THERE LEFTY HOLSTERS READILY AVAILABLE FOR THE FIREARM????!!!!!

Most semis have a model that comes with an ambi safety.

I rarely use the slide release and have become fairly adept at mashing the mag release with my index finger.

I carry a 1911 or a BHP at 9 O'clock every day.  Glocks are a great choice as are XDs and S&W M&Ps if you like a polymer gun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never found the 92 to be a disadvantage to a lefty.

The Smith M&P series is nice. You can move the mag release around like the Beretta 92 if you want and it has a slide release on both sides of the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
XD or P2000V2
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Any 1911 style with ambi saferies
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I do fine with Glocks,  I just use use my middle finger to release the mag... that pretty much covers the controls..... I "sling shot" the slide so slide lock  is not an issue - on that point, I believe the intention of the slide lock on a Glock is for locking the slide back only, not for releasing it after a mag change that is why they made it small.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]
CZ 85 or 75SA.

1911 w\ambi.

i'm a lefty.

clown
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]

The Bersa Thunder HC and UC series are very well designed for a lefty. I've got a UC 9mm Pro that I carry as a CCW compact at times. The controls are just as good for a lefty as a righty since there completely ambi on both sides with a safety/decocker and slide release.
There a well made pistol for the money. The only problems that come in that the company is in Argentina and there aren't many holster made exactly for them and there isn't an aftermarket in parts either. My UC 9mm Pro fits G19 holsters very well though and there are custom holster makers who'll make you one to order.

BersaUSA

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a lefty.  

M&P 9mm.  Good choice.
1911 w/ ambi safties.  Good choice.
Walther PPS.  mag release is convenient for lefties.  Don't like the slide catch but don't use it much anyway.
Walther PPk/S.  Not very lefty friendly, but cool anyway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Semi auto, the Glock if about as good as it comes unless you can find one of the Randal left handed 1911's on the used market.  But these are pretty much in the hands of collectors anymore.  Heck, darned near everytime I take mine to the range some idiot chastizes me about shooting it.  They'd have a coronary if they new it was my daily carry.

In revolvers, Charter Arms now has a lefthanded Undercover model the "Southpaw".
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Glocks work great for me left-handed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
i'm a lefty. i just learn to work around righty controls. i'm LEO and .mil and since all the weapons out there are set up with righty controls, i've just learned how to shoot them left handed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i'm a lefty. i just learn to work around righty controls. i'm LEO and .mil and since all the weapons out there are set up with righty controls, i've just learned how to shoot them left handed.

That's the best approach.  Training rather than devices.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the best approach.  Training rather than devices.

if i have to pick up my partner/co-pilot's weapon, muscle memory will take over. i won't have to think about where the safety, mag catch, etc are.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess that's actually one benefits of being left handed.  We get to learn how to do a lot of things right handed or both.  I play softball as a righty... My first glove was probably bought for me when I was 2.  It is for a righty.  

Golf?  Righty... borrowed clubs for years that were right handed.

Guns?  Well, I'm left eye dominate, so I've naturally been most comfortable shooting as a lefty.

ARs... no real problems, but I do like an ambi selector...

I suppose the most important thing is to get a handgun that is comfortable, and take it from there.  A Lot of great suggestion from everyone.  Now I get to shop around and try them all out!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Im lefty, you can learn right hand guns and master them well. However i exclsevly shoot 1911s and S&W MP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Sorry, but learning to use controls that are righty does not make up for the controls being in a better place for a lefty.
As a lefty I've used righty weapons all my life and through my service in the Army as an 11b, but that still doesn't make them better than an ambi weapon with the controls in a more natural spot to operate. That's a bad choice to me. Sure, know and be able to use all weapons as best as possible but choose your personal one's as best for you, not someone else.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Go lefties!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm also left handed.  I carry an M&P 9 and I love it.  The mag catch is changeable from right to left, which I have done and works great.  I have several thousand rounds through it and not one fail at all so far.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Lefty here, and I shoot an FNP-40 and love it.  Ambi decocker, and the mag release can be switched around - but I personally prefer leaving it in the stock config, as it's easier for me to hit the mag release with my trigger or middle finger than it is with my thumb.

Bad thing is, I found out yesterday that I shoot pistols better right-handed than I do left-handed  Gonna have to work on that...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top