Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 7:55:31 AM EDT
I'm a fly fisherman, and sometimes I will go hit fishing spots in the middle of nowhere.  I don't just fish from the bank... I wade in the water, and I have been known to step into areas that totally submerge me.  I would like to carry my auto-loader on some of my fishing excursions, but I'm concerned about three main issues:

If I were to accidentally get the firearm wet,

(1) Will I render the ammunition useless? (I could keep the magazines separate from the handgun in a waterproof pouch)

(2) Will water have any effect on the internal action of the gun?

(3) If I had the fire the weapon while it is still damp and some residual water is in the barrel, could the weapon have a catastrophic failure (i.e. blow up)?

Thanks for any insight you may have.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Be sure the ammunition has a sealer around the primer and the case mouth. If you reload, you can apply this yourself.

2) The firearm will function just fine. Make sure to dry it off and re-oil it at the end of the day if it gets wet.

3) Providing you don't shoot the gun underwater or with the barrel full of water, you won't have any problems. An exception is some Glock models, which can be fired underwater with the swapping of a couple parts.

Bottom Line: Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I am also a fisherman, and have similar challenges; One thing to consider is a smaller weapon that can fit in one of the dry pockets in your vest (my Orvis vest has a dry pocket on the front left chest that is big enough to hold a snubbie). Usually, if I am carrying my backpacking pistol (9mm 3.5" barrel) I just put it on my belt and don't worry about it. If I get submerged, I dry the thing off and continue fishing...oil it down when you get home, and it won't be a problem. I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a stainless steel Ruger single action.  Seems perfect for this application.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
You can also try sealing it in a high quality double-zipppered ziplock freezer bag (usually thicker construction). Remove as much air as you can before sealing it for best results. I do this when there is a high risk of firearm submersion. Works great!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Corrosion of the weapon would be my primary concern...

It’s not likely to matter if anything gets wet so long as you don’t try and fire it submerged…

Glocks are very corrosion resistant if you’re thinking about an autoloader…

If you're worried about your ammo selection, just let a dozen rounds sit in water overnight before your next range session...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
All good points everyone.  Thanks for the comments.

For what it's worth, I would be carrying a Glock 26.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have fallen in rivers, lakes and yes the salt water a few times all over the state on numerous occasions. I carry a large S/A Revolver (which doesn't matter) and the ammunition (which  does) has never failed to fire a minute later, a day later or a year later (all reloads and I dont use a sealer). There is no reason to not trust an autopistol in a rugged climate/ environment (they fight wars with these things) at any rate a trout stream is a non hostile place (unless the tourists are there).
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the right weapon and you'll be just fine:

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Excuse my ignorance but what is this? Sig?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Oops, double tap.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Corrosion and water resistance, GLOCK > everything else.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock. I had Federal HST go under water for several hours and it still fired fine. Remington Golden Saber also did fine. UMC and some other cheap ammo bit the dust.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the right weapon and you'll be just fine:

http://www.americanspecialops.com/images/photos/navy-seals/seal-diver-pistol.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but what is this? Sig?

Meh, won't matter what it is, since it will be a rust ball in about 3 hours

HK and Glock are the most corrosion resistant firearms out there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1) Be sure the ammunition has a sealer around the primer and the case mouth. If you reload, you can apply this yourself.

2) The firearm will function just fine. Make sure to dry it off and re-oil it at the end of the day if it gets wet.

3) Providing you don't shoot the gun underwater or with the barrel full of water, you won't have any problems. An exception is some Glock models, which can be fired underwater with the swapping of a couple parts.

Bottom Line: Don't sweat it.

this
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Water and ammution hasn't been much of a problem since the invent of self-contained ammunition.  Only if your carrying a cap and ball revovler would that be an issue.  I've dove alot with a M9 and with SEALs and their SIG 226s.  Just rinse with fresh water after emerging from salt water and do normal mainentance.  

Not a pistol but since were posting pics of guns and water.....

CD
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Water won't hurt ammo.  No special sealants needed.  If you need to prove it to yourself just leave a couple rounds in a glass of water overnight.

The real concern to me would be corrosion on internal components.  Even stainless revolvers usually have normal steel internal components. (also springs)
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]

That's exactly my fly fishing set-up!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top