Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 5:49:45 AM EDT
I've been out of the loop for a bit on handguns so I'm not sure what sort of new options there are out there.  I need to get a handgun though.

I've owned the following handguns in the past:
HK USP 45 Tactical
HK P7M8
Glock 17, 19, 34, 35, 26, 23, 20
Various 1911's
Beretta 92 FS, FSS, and 92G Elite
Sig P220
Various revolvers

Now, going off of experience, I have the following criteria set for my new pistol:
-Single action trigger
-Compact sizing, but not subcompact
-Light rail
-9mm
-Night sights
-Good capacity (over 10 rounds)
-Moderately priced ($400-$650)

If Sig would make a 229 with a SAO trigger, I'd go for it in a heartbeat, but they don't.  The only handgun I've found that matches what I want is a CZ P07.  Are there any other options out there?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You may want to look at the small versions of the CZ 75. They seem to fit most of your criteria. Double action, but selective double action.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
A 1911 pattern pistol in 9mm. Kimber and Springfield make them. Might be more than you want to spend though and capacity is marginal at 9 +1.

NAD
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been out of the loop for a bit on handguns so I'm not sure what sort of new options there are out there.  I need to get a handgun though.

I've owned the following handguns in the past:
HK USP 45 Tactical
HK P7M8
Glock 17, 19, 34, 35, 26, 23, 20
Various 1911's
Beretta 92 FS, FSS, and 92G Elite
Sig P220
Various revolvers

Now, going off of experience, I have the following criteria set for my new pistol:
-Single action trigger
-Compact sizing, but not subcompact
-Light rail
-9mm
-Night sights
-Good capacity (over 10 rounds)
-Moderately priced ($400-$650)

If Sig would make a 229 with a SAO trigger, I'd go for it in a heartbeat, but they don't.  The only handgun I've found that matches what I want is a CZ P07.  Are there any other options out there?

Reading through your criteria the CZ P-07 was the first thing that came to my mind.  

Unfortunately the only railed compact that CZ makes with a manual safety is chambered in .40.  If you can do without the rail the standard 75 Compact is a fantastic pistol.  

You could also look at the FN P-9 USG.  Its a 9mm with manual safety that is small-ish.  
$550 @ Buds

FN's website on the USG : FNP-9 USG
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
HK P2000 or P2000SK LEM in 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#5]
CZ and Bersa have those features!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I believe that falls out of his $650 budget...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The polymer compact Witness guns may also meet your needs.

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-polymer-description.html

Then there's the Ruger SR-9 (though it's technically striker-fired), but there are some lingering concerns about reliability.

I would look hard at the FNP-9 USG if it were me... though the safety is kind of teeny and mushy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
whatever you choose, if you are going for a 9mm, id go for a European gun ie CZ, Sig, HK, Beretta.  yes i know many of these manufacturers have plants in the US, and whatnot, but these guys i think have the most time making guns specifically in 9mm only, so i think they are considered the best by many.  i cannot think of a single american 9mm gun that i would want over a euro 9mm gun.  Now 45 is a different story.  with the exception of the usp45/hk45, i would take a colt in 45acp over any euro 45.  its an american round, so leave it to america for that one.  same with the 9mm, let the europeans design those, it has been in there history the longest.

and i mean can you really argue that a CZ or Sig or HK or beretta are not proven manufacturers.  look at all the military and police using these guns.  aside from when a military/leo is using a .45 (albiet rare from what i can gather, but there are some out there, and when they do its a 1911 usually) i cant really think of any american guns in their hands today.  sure at one point every cop had a S&W, be it the auto or a revolver but now its glock or sig mainly.  military, its the m9, and possible a sig for some branches.

thats just me though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that falls out of his $650 budget...

Doesn't mean he still can't save up more for it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#10]
.CZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top