Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 11:05:56 AM EDT
Hey all, I'm getting my CCW soon and planned on using my G19 as my primary carry gun.  However, for those times when I dont want to carry that much/dressing light, etc...I want something I can throw in my pocket.  

Things I'm looking for:
-Common Caliber - 9mm is a + as I have plenty
-Safe....I want something that will not go off in my pocket or around my neck.  
-Budget friendly, yet not compromising safey/reliability

Now my coworker has a Keltec P3AT that he said he'd sell me for 300, and thats with a few hundred rounds and a holster type thing to wear around your neck.  I havent handled it but he says its super light and small.  I'd be all for it other than the odd caliber.  Although I AM getting ammo with it, and it will not be a plinking/range gun so....I'd imagine (or hope) that a few hundred rounds would last me....a long time.  

I looked at a PF-9 at a gun shop, had it for 230 used.  Looked real nice but maybe I underestimated its size?  I looked at it and it didnt seem that big, but now looking online it seems that its heavier and larger that some other options.  

I anticipate some Ruger LCP recommendations....how would that compare to the other choices I have up there ^?  Any others?  Thanks!  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i just got a kel tec pf9 for a really good deal love the gun, long stiff trigger pull so there is no safety, conceals great.

wouldnt trade it for anything else for a pocket gun
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry my PF9 in a IWB holster I made my self, it works great, and it disappears.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the size of your pockets.  If you mostly wear dress slacks or jeans, Kel-Tec P3AT/Ruger LCP.  If you wear looser pants, you could probably fit the PF9 or any number of small frame revolvers.  You might want to check BobO's mouse gun chart to give you an idea of how the various pocket pistols stack up against each other.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The PF9 really is that big. It's just not quite a pocket gun. If you truely want a pocket gun, you are gonna have to go .380 ACP. Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Depends on the size of your pockets.  If you mostly wear dress slacks or jeans, Kel-Tec P3AT/Ruger LCP.  If you wear looser pants, you could probably fit the PF9 or any number of small frame revolvers.  You might want to check BobO's mouse gun chart to give you an idea of how the various pocket pistols stack up against each other.

That is a great comparison chart! I have a couple of handguns that I use for pocket carry, a S&W 340PD, a Kahr PM9 and a NAA Guardian in .380. Out of all of them, the Smith is the lightest, the NAA is the smallest. The Kahr strikes a nice balance between the two. My decision on which one I will carry is solely dependent on the clothing I am wearing......
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
wow, thanks a lot chibajoe - that chart was perfect.  

I havent even looked at the P3AT, but have seen an LCP.....  If I like the P3AT my coworker has, I'll probably just pick that up..  thx guys.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
This.

My wife carries one. Accurate and super reliable. We've not had one failure in about 800 rds. It'll eat any ammo we feed it.

About the size of a PPK.

ETA

German engineering and quality.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry my PF-9, IWB using a clip all day every day.  It can fit in a pocket, still using the clip.  Still, it's just a bit big to be true "pocket" pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/WaltherPPS.jpg

My wife carries one. Accurate and super reliable. We've not had one failure in about 800 rds. It'll eat any ammo we feed it.

About the size of a PPK.

ETA

Very nice choice...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
This.

About the size of a PPK.

ETA

Very nice choice...

But is it really a pocket gun?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Only pocket gun I can suggest is a well-made revolver, 2 inch barrel.  Such as a S&W 442, 640, etc.

For me it's a Taurus 650.  I know Taurus is a crap shoot, but mine's been an outstanding handgun.

G26 also, if your pockets are big enough.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite pocket pistol is the S&W 642, of course the S&W 340 PD also looks very nice. I'm not even a big fan of revolvers, but for a pocket pistol it's tough to beat them. The Kahr Pm9 pistol also looks nice if you want to stick with the 9mm caliber.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget the idea of carrying a gun around your neck. Not only would it be very noticeable, it would be uncomfortable and akward/slow to draw.

I recommend a lightweight 5shot, .38spl+p revolver. There's scores of information out there on these, so do your research.

I prefer a no-lock S&W 642 loaded with Speer Gold Dot SB 135gr +P in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Edit- Kel-tec's seem to be hit or miss, notably the P3AT .380. Some guys have no issues with them, while others can never get finish a mag without a jam. Smaller autoloaders have a higher percentage of jams than their larger counterparts. I know a revolver isn't as tactical or cool looking as a semi-auto, but the reliability of a revolver trumps that of a small semi-auto.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

About the size of a PPK.

ETA

Very nice choice...

But is it really a pocket gun?

I fondled one at a shop the other day.  Fits nicely in a pocket.  Maybe not dress slacks or jeans with small pockets, but then, when choosing a pocket gun you need to choose the pocket too...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Forget the idea of carrying a gun around your neck. Not only would it be very noticeable, it would be uncomfortable and akward/slow to draw.

I recommend a lightweight 5shot, .38spl+p revolver. There's scores of information out there on these, so do your research.

I prefer a no-lock S&W 642 loaded with Speer Gold Dot SB 135gr +P in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Edit- Kel-tec's seem to be hit or miss, notably the P3AT .380. Some guys have no issues with them, while others can never get finish a mag without a jam. Smaller autoloaders have a higher percentage of jams than their larger counterparts. I know a revolver isn't as tactical or cool looking as a semi-auto, but the reliability of a revolver trumps that of a small semi-auto.

I have a KT P3AT and a PF9.  The little .380 has not been 100% reliable, so it doesn't get carried.  It also is a bit small for large hands.  The PF9 has been 100%, but it is a little bit large for the pants I usually wear. It's OK in the side pocket of "cargo" type pants.  I have never used the Walther, but it is larger and heavier then the PF9. I agree it's tough to beat a light wt Smith J frame w/ Speer SB 135+p, if you can find them that is.

FB

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry this PF9 in a Galco Pocket Holster daily in my dress pants (Black Slacks) without any problems. I am 6' 6" tall and weigh 300lbs. I have two police officers that work for me part time and had done so for several years before I revealed to them that I was carrying that way. they were both amazed that I could hide the gun that well.

Gibbles......thats a nice little holster you have there!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I pocket carry a 2" snub or a PM9, depending on what I am wearing. A cheap uncle mike's for the snub and a DeSanti Nem. for the Kahr.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top