Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 7:12:39 AM EDT
So I'm in the market for a 9mm automatic. The purpose of this gun will be for range shooting and home defense, but not primarily concealed carry (my XD .45 compact fits that bill). I'd prefer a full-frame with a decocker/manual safety, high (15+) capacity and i really like the double/single actions too. I've narrowed it down to a few and i'm just looking for some more opinions, so fire away (i know how we all love to give opinions!). Here are the 9mms that have caught my eye so far:

Beretta 92FS
Beretta 90-two
Sig 226/229 (various models, but the SCT is particularly sexy to me)
Taurus PT 809 (not even sure if they're available yet, but my dad is a die hard Taurus fan and said i should look at it)
Springfield XDm9 (I know it doesn't have a decock or safety, but I love my XD.45 so much I can't not consider this one, especially with all you get with it.)

I've handled them all but the Taurus, and I like the 90-two and 226 best for feel in my hand, but I've shot a 229 and a 92FS and I definitely like the 92FS best between them. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

Price is an important factor to me, but quality/dependability/getting the best bang for your buck (pun intended) is more important.

I appreciate the opinions!

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If safety/decocker is critical, don't overlook the H&K USP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Given the options that you had I'd say it's a toss-up between the Beretta or the Sig. Both are classic DA/SA pistols. The XDm comes in 3rd. place to me, and the oddball Taurus in last place
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at CZ.  The CZ-75 is a world class pistol at an extremely affordable price.

Sig seems to get a lot of criticism lately for their diminishing quality control.

I'm not a huge fan of Beretta for their slide mounted decocker/safety... Can't argue with the benefits of using a pistol adopted by the US armed forces(mags, parts, etc are everywhere).

For a steel DA/SA pistol you just can't beat CZ in my opinion.  Its available with a manual safety OR a decocker.  Full size and compact models are available, some with rails, some not.

Take a very close look at the standard CZ-75B

Usually available for $500-$550
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had very good luck over the years with Berettas and Sigs ...

Never shot the other models you mentioned so I can't comment on them.

Try to shoot the various models you listed and see what feels best to you.

Good luck and let us know what you pick.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]
You have an XD45, so naturally I would suggest you stick with the XD9.

However, I feel if I don't suggest you look at the Glock 19 and HK USP I'd be doing you a disservice.

IMHO the USP9 and Glock 19 are some of the best firearms you can buy.

That being said, from your list, I would go with the Beretta 92fs.  My old man has one, and its the handgun that we collectively own with the most rounds through it.  It is incredibly accurate, and with a D model mainspring and a wolff trigger spring, it will have one of the nicest DA/SA triggers you can get.  No failures with it, great gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I'm in the market for a 9mm automatic. The purpose of this gun will be for range shooting and home defense, but not primarily concealed carry (my XD .45 compact fits that bill). I'd prefer a full-frame with a decocker/manual safety, high (15+) capacity and i really like the double/single actions too. I've narrowed it down to a few and i'm just looking for some more opinions, so fire away (i know how we all love to give opinions!). Here are the 9mms that have caught my eye so far:

Beretta 92FS
Beretta 90-two
Taurus PT 809 (not even sure if they're available yet, but my dad is a die hard Taurus fan and said i should look at it)
Springfield XDm9 (I know it doesn't have a decock or safety, but I love my XD.45 so much I can't not consider this one, especially with all you get with it.)

I've handled them all but the Taurus, and I like the 90-two and 226 best for feel in my hand, but I've shot a 229 and a 92FS and I definitely like the 92FS best between them. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

Price is an important factor to me, but quality/dependability/getting the best bang for your buck (pun intended) is more important.

you dont say if you want NIB or USED.

aslo do you mean wtih a decocker AND a manual safety or one or the other.  if you want both, then im not sure whats out there with both.  

assuming :

>  decocker or manual safety

NIB

> CZ (Safeties)  75/85, SP01, P07, SA,
> CZ (deocker)  75BD, SP01, P01
> EAA/Witness
> EZ9 (Sig clone, but with a twist)
> PO 18.9 LDA/SA
> Ruger P85/95...
> Ruger SR9
> S&W M&P
> Stoeger/Beretta Cougar

USED:

> Daewoo DP51

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
In my opinion, the G19 is one of best pistols on the market, all things considered…

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If safety/decocker is critical, don't overlook the H&K USP.

+1

I would say get a USP or the CZ. Given it's use and price factor, I'd lean towards a CZ.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The XDm 9mm is a great shooter. It is also very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Of the ones you listed, I like the XDM9 the best.  A very nice pistol and great capacity (19 standard) at the expense of a larger grip though.

That said, I'd take a Glock 17 over any of your choices, but then again, I don't require a manual safety or decocker.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not pickup a fullsize XD .45?  I like my carry and HD gun to be the same caliber (glock 19 & 17 in my case).  

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
HK they have very cool trigger systems, or Glock 17 one of the best ever.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Look at CZ. The CZ-75 is a world class pistol at an extremely affordable price.

Sig seems to get a lot of criticism lately for their diminishing quality control.

I'm not a huge fan of Beretta for their slide mounted decocker/safety... Can't argue with the benefits of using a pistol adopted by the US armed forces(mags, parts, etc are everywhere).

For a steel DA/SA pistol you just can't beat CZ in my opinion. Its available with a manual safety OR a decocker. Full size and compact models are available, some with rails, some not.

This

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Look at CZ.  The CZ-75 is a world class pistol at an extremely affordable price.

For a steel DA/SA pistol you just can't beat CZ in my opinion.  Its available with a manual safety OR a decocker.  Full size and compact models are available, some with rails, some not.

This.  Having owned examples of nearly all the big name 9mms, I recently drank the CZ Koolaid and cannot recommend the CZ75B or the SP-01 highly enough.  Top quality pistols.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd say the M9/92F Beretta. It's the easiest operation/breakdown/maintenance and it has manual safety on each side of the gun.  It's high cap and after carrying it overseas and having dust and sand all over it there were no misfires, and that was a pistol that had been issued over and over again.  After all the abuse it remained reliable time after time.  Also has decocker.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I would also suggest the Beretta 92F.  I had a Taurus knockoff (PT-99 AFS) for about 15 years and I liked it but if I could do it again, I would have gone with the Beretta.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Of those listed, I'd jump all over a P226.

Add another that is DA/SA, and you should also look at the USP.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:56:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I had and HK sold it have a Glock now and i love it.

I am issue a 226 that's 21 years old, probably got close to 20k rounds on it, i had it for 3 years. I have never, had any issues with it. I only Shoot Federal LE JHP on it as per issue ammo.

The M9(Berreta 92FS) we had on my command before i got out were brand new and never had any issues with them. I did go to a class with older M9 and those were jam-omatics.

Best of luck with your decision. I suggest try and shoot them all and see what you shoot better with and feel confortable holding.

My sugestion in this order.

Glock Either 17 19 21SF(if you want 45acp)

Sig 226

Any HK USP(Built like a tank and uber reliable)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#20]

The one you like best, not what someone else does.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#21]
of your choices:

the Sig P226/9 hands down

the Beretta 92 next

i wouldnt really consider the rest––YMMV
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  Having owned examples of nearly all the big name 9mms, I recently drank the CZ Koolaid and cannot recommend the CZ75B or the SP-01 highly enough.  Top quality pistols.

Another vote for a CZ 75 variant.  Great pistols.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Get an HK first. That's what I did and only regretted that I didn't get one sooner.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Beretta Cougar

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey guys!

I appreciate all the responses! I wasn't expecting this much help, that was awesome. And it helped me think outside of what I was originally looking for. I did expand my options and browsed a couple more makes, models, etc. that I wasn't really considering before.

But when all was said and done I ended up going with the Beretta 92FS. Ease of maintenance, availability of parts (I hope I don't need to buy anytime soon), quality, and most of all positive personal experiences with accuracy and handling all helped me come to a decision. Although some guns were more "affordable" with their MRSP, I got it as a local store's "gun of the week" Factory NIB for $535, so I'm def pleased with the purchase.

Thanks again all, I'll post with pics from the range.

-B
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats and enjoy!  Post some pics when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Beretta 92FS
Beretta 90-two

CZ 75 B-  Just over $400. Excellent value for the money. Great ergonomics.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't forget to post a range report!!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#29]
The 92FS is absolutely the best bargain on the gun market today.  For $450 you get a US (or Italian) made all-forged steel and alloy military-issue handgun with a chrome lined bore.  They are extremely well made, smooth functioning, and will last damn near forever (with the caveat that the locking block should be inspected regularly).  Factory mags are now the cheapest hi-caps you can buy ($15), and parts are readily available.  When you factor in the price of buying a couple mags, the Beretta 92FS is easily less expensive than the CZ-75 or Glock 17, though both are also fine pistols.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
G19 and/or Sig P229 - As with any major production gun, there will be a few lemons and the bad press will grossly distort the reality.  Anecdote can leads to a false stereotype.  Same with vehicles and just about anything else mass produced.  However, if you read what some of the experts say e.g., Ayoob and Sweeney; they'll tell you in a heartbeat it's hard to beat either of those two pistols.  From my personal experience, each have performed flawlessly for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top