Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:19:43 PM EDT
I've done this a couple of times when loading a magazine.  It gets tough to load rounds and then when unloading them (by hand) they strip off fine until the two rounds above this, and those rattle in the tube (and fall out when the mag is inverted).  Basically two rounds bind up next to each other.  Observed with both Speer GD 124+P (as shown) and WWB115

I haven't had this be a problem while firing since its noticeable when loading the mag but I never had (or perhaps noticed?) this issue with Beretta 92FS Mags or Glock 19 mags (15 or 33 round).

Its easy enough to be sure to load them 'properly', just wondering if anyone else noticed.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Mags interior dimensions are overly wide at the top.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
camera macro effect.  I have six and they're all the same size.

It depends mostly on how much attention I pay to the reloading process
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Never happened with any of mine.  

Do you see this on more than one of your mags?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a defective mag, or a defective mag design.

A high capacity double-stack mag should not do that crap, ever.  I've never had or seen that problem with any Glock mag, Beretta mag, Ruger mag, S&W (older 3rd gen DA/SA guns) mag, or any other double-stack mag I've had experience with.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a first for me, never seen it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Does it do that with other ammo or just the speer?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I got some no name, crappy unknown Beretta mags in a trade one time that did that. Keep in mind these weren't factory mags or even good aftermarket ones. These were terrible and did that also before I threw them in the trash. In your case I'm guessing they came from S&W so give them a call and see what they can do for you. Their customer service is pretty good and they'll hopefully try to make it right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
never happened to me out of +3k rounds...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]
i've seen a similar binding issue while stripping rounds off by hand with some kci glock 17 mags.  but they bound up closer to the feed lips, not near the bottom/center of the mag.  also like you mentioned, they never bound while shooting.  maybe the recoil impulse shakes the ammo so it doesn't bind?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
My Glock 19 mags used to do that with older Winchester Value Pack 9mm (the old brass-washed stuff).  That's the only time I ever had a failure in that gun.  I recently picked up some of the newer Value Pack 9mm (copper jacketed), and it runs fine.  The old stuff was really, really sticky.

I'm really surprised to see the malfunction with nickel plated speer cases.

A complete stab in the dark: these are 9mm mags and not .40, right?  I know nothing about M&Ps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't seen it with my M&P, but I've seen something similar with two Beretta 92 mags.

Fully loaded, the cartridges rattled around a bit  in two of  the magazines.  Weird.  I disassembled the magazines and they were in good shape –– no problems that I could detect.

I used two of them yesterday with my new and previously unfired Italian Beretta 92F (made in 1989).

They fed just fine and the pistols ran great for 150 rds of 124 gr American Eagle and 30 rds of 124 gr Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fully loaded, the cartridges rattled around a bit  in two of  the magazines.  Weird.  I disassembled the magazines and they were in good shape –– no problems that I could detect.

Rattle as in the OP, where the rounds are physically loose enough to fall out (given the right angle), or rattle as in the slight rattle that most metal-bodied doule-stack magazine designs exhibit from time to time?

To the OP - I've never had anything quite like that happen. I'd had rounds get stuck up before - but that's from hitting concrete during USPSA matches.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rattle as in the OP, where the rounds are physically loose enough to fall out (given the right angle), or rattle as in the slight rattle that most metal-bodied doule-stack magazine designs exhibit from time to time?

To the OP - I've never had anything quite like that happen. I'd had rounds get stuck up before - but that's from hitting concrete during USPSA matches.

rattle as in the slight rattle that most metal-bodied doule-stack magazine designs exhibit from time to time?

This, I think.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#15]
You're doing it wrong . Never seen that before.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Couple things:  

WWB has a VERY long OAL - out about 1.160"+  Longer ammo will drag the bullet on the front of the tube.  

2nd, that mag is dirty.  Rule is: every time the mag hits the ground (i.e. after about every stage), it MUST come apart for cleaning. Takes only a few seconds.   Ask the guys who have been to Iraq about the importance of keeping a M9 mag clean.  Hit it with your silicon rag before putting it back together.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're doing it wrong . Never seen that before.

If the rounds bind up it is quickly apparent.  I did continue to load rounds forcing the issue but hoping that the earlier rounds would 'snap' into place.  With my old GLOCK 18 mag even if it started to bind I would keep loading it and after about 2-3 rounds you'd hear the previous rounds 'snap' into place.

I haven't had the problem since, it was happening when using a thumb loader.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#18]
That looks like something that happened to me with a Glock 19 at a course about three years ago.  I think it was with WWB, too, but it might have been Fiocchi.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#19]
No problems here loading my HK mags fast.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No problems here loading my HK mags fast.

Must be the TX air
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I get the same thing in my FNP-45 mags (all of them) when I try and use WWB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top