Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2009 3:56:50 AM EDT
I use to be able to dot I’s with irons, but now I with my ageing eyes, my sights are a blurry.  So my question is what sights would be best or better than Factory sights.  XS Big Dots look pretty good, what do you all suggest.  I have a Glock 19 and 21 that I would like to install new sights on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello,

Is it the front sight you can't focus on?  Too small?

If you need a bigger front sight then XS is the way to go.  I think even their standard dot is bigger than a average front sight post.  I doubt you'll be dotting you I's with them, but I suppose if you practice enough and learn the point of impact you might be able to make precise shots.

Also take a look at Novak's ghost ring sights.  I've really been wanting to buy a set of those mammajammas.  I beleive it was a border patrol member who told me that his group used those sights and saw no difference in accuracy between those and standard sights within 25 yards.

Theres also a trapezoid sight set that might help you out, but I can't remember who makes them.  Try a search engine.  Wait, here ya' go.  I think these are it.  Advantage tactical sights ATS  They look friggin' HUGE though

Take care and eat your carrots
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
XS Big Dots, although I dont recommend them for distances past 20 yards.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
regarding the XS, is only the white ring much larger than a typical front sight or is the insert also larger than the norm?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
This is not an answer to your question but since I'm in the same boat with my eyesight some additional thoughts:
- For target shooting the Merit peep sight is an interesting gadget.  It sticks to your shooting glasses and allows you to focus on your front sight and the target at the same time.
- Some have had good luck with prescription shooting glasses where one eye is set at distance and the other at arms length for your front sight.  Your brain does the summation of the parts.
- Need all the help I can get with visibility so where I don't have night sights I paint my front sights a bright color.  At least I'm putting a bright blur on target rather than a black blur.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
regarding the XS, is only the white ring much larger than a typical front sight or is the insert also larger than the norm?

I'm not at home atm to look... but I'd say only the white part.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use to be able to dot I’s with irons, but now I with my ageing eyes, my sights are a blurry.  So my question is what sights would be best or better than Factory sights.  XS Big Dots look pretty good, what do you all suggest.  I have a Glock 19 and 21 that I would like to install new sights on.

Sights?  Who needs sights?  I use the force, much better than sights.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Novak's also makes a wide notch version of their classic sights.  

I have found that a lot more friendly on the eyes than the stock Novak's sights.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hello,

Is it the front sight you can't focus on?  Too small?

If you need a bigger front sight then XS is the way to go.  I think even their standard dot is bigger than a average front sight post.  I doubt you'll be dotting you I's with them, but I suppose if you practice enough and learn the point of impact you might be able to make precise shots.

Also take a look at Novak's ghost ring sights.  I've really been wanting to buy a set of those mammajammas.  I beleive it was a border patrol member who told me that his group used those sights and saw no difference in accuracy between those and standard sights within 25 yards.

Theres also a trapezoid sight set that might help you out, but I can't remember who makes them.  Try a search engine.  Wait, here ya' go.  I think these are it.  Advantage tactical sights ATS  They look friggin' HUGE though

Take care and eat your carrots

I don't think the size of the front sight is the problem, it is just fuzzy and hard to make a correct sight picture.  I have also been looking at the Advantage tatical sights and they look like they might be worth a try, I will have to install them myself or drive 150 miles one way to a smith for installation.  I can still shoot a 3in group at 10 yards, maybe I am asking for two much..
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Heine Straight 8s. A dot on top of a dot, it works for me but I have 20/13 vision and I'm color blind.
3 dots seem to me to be focusing on the vertical instead of the horizontal.
cwackers
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you looking in to the the Ghost Ring Sites from Entreprise Arms. about $140 per set if you want night sites on it. Here is the site if you wnat to look at it.

http://www.entreprise.com/ghost_ring.htm.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been going through the same issue lately and have tried a number of things.  Tried the Ameriglo Operators and the XS sights.  Was going to try a Heinie rear with Big or Standard Dot front but worried that the POA/POI wouldn't match.

Here's what I've settled on, so far:

Heinie tritium front/Heinie plain black rear with "Quik" notch for Glock.  Works well and with the .235 front hits right.  Easy to find as I special-ordered it thru Brownells.  I just wish the front sight stood out a bit more.  I may paint it.

Also, using a Mepro front night sight paired with a Yost Retro Rear for the Glock.  I opened up the Yost rear even more than standard.  It works really well.  I prefer this setup but the rear sight is no longer made and I can't find any more.  Been advertising here and on other boards with no luck.

Trijicon front and plain black Novak wide notch low mount rear on 1911. Works well for me and is easy to do.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I am thinking about a scope.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Magilla, have you tried working with an optometrist?

I know people who have had a set of eyeglasses gut specifically for target shooting.

Also, people over 50 who have been nearsighted all their life often find their vision improving after that point. My optometrist dialed my prescription back a full point this last time. We also dropped my non-dominant eye back another 1/2 point.  I can now see the tiny sights on my old Stevens .22, and I can read most type without glasses.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
XS Big Dots. And they are good past 20 yards if you know how to shoot and you're not just punching paper.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The best solution is a dedicated set of glasses.

I tried the Big Dot sights but found that precisely aligning the front and rear sight to be very difficult.

I ultimately went with the Truglo fiber optic/nitesight setup shown here:  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=930962  The sights aren’t any clearer, but at least I can find them now.  Note though that I had to spend some time carefully filing the front sight to get it to fit the dovetail of my SIG correctly.

I tried the Merit iris, but found it continually popped off my glasses.

I also tried the Gehmann iris, but found it irritating since it blocked of most of my dominant eye.  It’s also a bit heavy.  See:  http://www.champchoice.com/prod-GEHMANN_IRIS___DISC_FOR_REGULAR_GLASSES-1088.aspx

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you for all of your suggestions, My sister is an Optician and she is going to hook me up with a pair of prescription shooting glasses, I don't think any sights will help with my problems, if they are fuzzy..
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]
For my older eyes I like a big front sight with a wider rear notch. I can't quickly see the little slivers of light on each side of a wide front narrow rear anymore.

The ProGlos are working well for me.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=77654

The XS Big Dots and I did not get along. Too many years of using conventional handgun sight to start making a lollipop.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Ameriglo Pro Operators have a decently sized white dot on the front sight, and a very wide notch in the rear.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
My CCW gun is a Glock 27 and it sports XS Big Dot sights. At "oh shit" distance all "I" see when I draw is target and a big ass white dot on its chest.  At night, make a lolipop and put what you want to hit on top and your good to go. Not great for precision. If im trying to shoot groups during daytime, I use the small tritinium insert and the post to aim.
I am 40 and had Lasik done about 7 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Eyes at last check up were 20/20L and 20/15R. I know It might be drastic, but miss a couple shots on deer because your glasses fogged....anyways as a byproduct it really helped my shooting. Just my . 02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top