Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2002 9:09:42 AM EDT
I'm looking at a new full-size, steel framed, EAA .45.  It has one 10 round mag, rubber grip panels, the hard-chrome satin finish, red dot front sight, two white dot targe adustable rear sight, all for $350.

Any experience with these?

Thanks all,
Pepper
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to have to disagree here, as I like the CZ type weapons.  EAA has a LOT of quality control issues, but for the price, it's a good compromise.

You're looking at proprietary mags, as well as parts.  Grips are not going to be easy to come by, and rubber grips DO wear.

The Ruger autos I've had and handled in the past have been rough as a cob.  I will never downcheck a Ruger SA revolver, though.

REAL CZ's in 45 are cheap enough now, to get the real thing, rather than a lower quality copy.

$350 for an EAA is not out of the ballpark, though I definitely would consider spending 50% more for a real CZ or a 1911.

My free advice, and worth every penny!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
My cousin has one it's been a good for him. He has over 1,000 rounds thru it with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than the small slide area to rack a round, I like the gun.  It has a smooth trigger!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a real bad time with EAA when it came to their Bounty Hunter 45 long colt. 1st one broke it cylinder lock with only 25 rounds of factory cowboy ammo. The replacement handgun broke on the first cock of the hammer in the store. It was the same part that broke and the SN were at least 500 apart from each other. Needless to say I gave up and got my money back added a $100 to it and got myself a Ruger Vaquero.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA Member
AR15.com Moderator of Reloading, General Firearm Discussion & Hunting Forum.
A great place to get answers to your reloading & hunting questions.
Or come and take a look at my web page at.
members.aol.com/dbrewer842/dbrewer842.html
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes. My early 41AE pistols had a tendency to unlock a tad early. The 45 is sweet. I prefer it over the Astra.

Kurt -
It's refreshing to see a professional that openly admits there are lines other than the "big names" and admits to owning and shooting them!
I had the same problem with my 9mm / 41 AE; great in 9mm and always a problem in 41 AE with Samson and Uzi ammo.  It went down the road is some trade.
However, my EAA .45 Witness (full size) has been reliable , fairly accurate and fun to shoot since day 1.  
Do I carry it?  No, I carry other guns on a daily basis.  Would I trust my life to it?  Yes, with the one that I own.  
Shop around and you can pick up those mags at gun shows fairly cheap.

Beachboy
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool lookin' comp.  I haven't kept up with .41 AE, what ammo is available for it now?  I would think that the development of the .40 S&W and the .357 Sig would kind of negate the interest for new .41 AE guns?  I like the fact that you're experimenting and expanding the data.  Now if I can just get my M4gery barrel to you soon and get your A3 comp installed on that loud (but SWEET shooting) rascal'.
Beachboy
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Fair number of EAA 45's in these parts.  They seem to be a decent set up.  Some shooters have stated they needed to do some minor tweaking to them to get acceptable perfomance but a lot of 1911's require that as well.  $350 seems a tad high for a used one.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Kurt -
I went and looked in my ammo locker and found most of a box of Samson .41 x 22 (41 AE) 170 gr JHP (34 rounds and 7 emptys).  You want them?
Beachboy

EDITED TO ADD:
The lot number is 1612-88
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top