Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2002 7:05:42 AM EDT
Putting politics aside, what do you think about Smith & Wesson autos? If you don't like them, tell us why. If you like them, tell us your favorite model.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Over the years I owned quite a few S&W autos.  The ones I liked -
2 ASP's built on a 39-2 (my 1st one) and a 439 (2nd one); an early 645; an early 4516, when it was one of, if not the only, compact DA auto in .45 ACP;  a 3913 customised by Kurt Wickmann, sort of a modern ASP; plus a few assorted 39's; 639's, etc.

The one's I didn't like and soon got rid of -
the 6904 and the 6906 (they felt like a 2x4 in my hand); a 59 that was the most inaccurate handgun I've every owned (even after 2 trips back to Springfield and in the hands of other shooters).
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#3]
My husband had a 910 for a while, and it was the most abysmal POS I have ever shot. Wouldn't put 2 shots within walking distance of each other even if clamped into a vise.
Wasn't heavy enough to be an effective throwing weapon.
I was totally underwhelmed and glad when he sold the damned thing.
Smith wheelguns remain a favorite of mine, but the autos they should sell to the Iraqis, so none of our troops get hurt next time we are over there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 4006 that i got a long time ago. Made really well and probably won't part with it any time soon.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#6]
They're okay, but not my favorite. I have a model 411, the .40 caliber version of the 910 Hannah mentioned. I haven't had any problems with mine whatsoever. It's reasonably accurate and feeds everything I stoke it with. I gave it a Tetra Gun treatment all over and I had a S&W armorer slick up the trigger. It's a nice shooter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a S&W5906 that I have had for 8 years.  It is a fantastic pistol.  Well made, built like a tank.  Also accurate.

I have just ordered one of these babies
http://www.smith-wesson.com/images/firearms/standard/4006tsw.jpg

There is something to be said for an all steel, heavy handgun.  Especially in bigger calibers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The TSW models are ok but the Chief Specials are an ergonomic nightmare!!!!!!  They fit my hand like a 2x4, NO comfort at all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Going back to when BHPs,P-38s or Smiths were pretty much the only choices in 9MM, let alone stainless steel later on, I had my share of lemons in S&W. Also some that were stunning performers too. Off hand, shooting all 15 rounds into a playing card at 35 yards with a budget model 915 impressed me. Basically, if you have a "good" one, you should know it. One of my favorites is the 645, my latest(1988)has adjustable sights (the white outline blade from the revolver fits) and is better suited to me than my vaunted 1911 types. Through the years I have had several of each model, revolver and auto, and still pack a 5906/Novak/sandblasted finish, it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top