Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 4:35:52 PM EDT
Ok my nickel plated Series 70 Gold Cup 1911 is getting a little worn.  The nickel is starting to lift in a few spots and I'm starting to get some rust spots under the finish.  I have been looking into a few differant companies to get the deed done, but there is virtually hundreds of new finishes out there.  I love the attention I get at the range with the classic nickel, but it's just not practical for the amount of use this gun gets.  What do you guys recommend?  Pics would be awesome if you have some.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanx, sent them an E-mail, anyone else?
What do you guys recommend in terms of actual finish.  I like the nickel but is there anything that looks that good, but is more durable
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ptlm: Well...how old is the Colt? Did the finish last until just recently? So you MAY have gotten a lot of mileage out of it? Try calling Colt's customer service. A shooting buddy of mine bought a Python at a pawnshop that needed re-blueing, Colt did it for $150 plus they check the gun for any potential problems (BTW, if they find a problem, you WILL have to pay them to fix it or they won't return your gun). They didn't find any problems with his Python. A factory finish for a good price likely couldn't be beat, and MAN do those Gold Cups look great in nickel!! (a relative of mine that's a cop has one)
However, I looked at that Checkmate Custom site, and their prices look pretty reasonable. Give Colt a call though-they seem pretty decent to deal with (I had to call them once to get an owners manual for my AR)
Edited to add: I have a Browning HiPower in hard chrome and it's pretty nice and eye catching-but not as much as the nickel. My HP is a 1981 model, bought it from a pawnshop and whoever had it before me DIDN'T take care of it, and it doesn't have a spec of rust on it. Checkmate offers hard chrome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You know I never realy looked at it that way.  Considdering it is an authentic series 70 (made sometime in the 70's) I guess it has held up pretty good.  It really is'nt that bad either, it's a shame because it's only a few little spots on the slide, and then a few more spots on around the grip.  I'm just afraid that it's going to keep peeling.
I will give Colt a call and see what they say too.  Thanx for the help.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Ptlm, I just recently had a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 refinished.  It was originally blued.  I had Bob Ford at Rocky Mountain Arms give it a Bearcoat finish.  He does the teflon finishes for Les Baer.  It came out very well in my opinion.  Here's a pic:

http://www.gunwares.com/images/showcase/goncalo-alves-2.jpg

His website is www.bearcoat.com
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
That does look realy good!  I'll have to check him out too.  This is exactly what I wanted, as many options as possible.  Thanx allot guys. :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard good things about the BearCoat finish.

You can also get something similar from Wilson.
www.wilsoncombat.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top