Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2003 3:46:33 PM EDT
I have had a pistol permit(= CT CCW ) for years but only carried on rare days,shoot lots for fun,plate shoots,cowboy,past IPSIC,some IDPA.
Stuff has changed in my life and although not totally crazy it is time to carry on a regular basis.
I have a colt officers which works but is heavy.
I have a S&W 686 snubby but it is kind of "fat"
I have a colt mustang which goes fine in my front pocket or back on my hip and is fairly heavy(this is an all steel gun,believe they also came in alloy)but much better than the officers model.The part that I don't like about the mustang is that I feel a .380acp is really for backup or emergency use .
If I thought the  chance of a gunfight was real high I would stay home or come out with an ar or shoty.
I want to get something in 45,40 or 9 if I have to.I want flat and light.I can deal with recoil
and small grips(hands barely medium size)and don't care about sights.Only possible use is if someone gets up real close with gun or knife.(I know if this happens I have allready messed up but is about the only time I would pull a trigger on someone.
What ya got that works for you ?
Thanks and sorry for the length.
Cost is an issue but I will bend the plastic to get something I feel ok with if I have to
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My first question relates to the gear you have already tried. Were these units properly suspended? By that I mean good belt and holster combination (i.e. Milt Sparks, etc.).

D
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Given your criteria, a snubbie with a LW frame & using .38sp +p would fit the bill.

I can it fairly good @ 15 yards with my S&W snubbie & ammo is as good as any semi rd these days.

As for semi's, the usual suspects of Glock 26/27/36 would be a starting point. There's some others that I'm sure others will cover for you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a Glock 30.  .45 cal with a 10 shot mag.  Very light, but the recoil isn't too bad.  Just right for medium sized hands.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually wear bib overalls they have big back pockets...so a Glock 30 will drop right in,but blue jeans or dress clothes are a different story carry the biggest caliber gun you can...a naa 22 mag will drop in you pocket,no problem..also a Kel-tec 32 is pretty light and handy....the largest thing I can get away with is a S&W 638 basically a alloy bodyguard loaded with some 125gr+p hp's...I feel safe enough
usually find a gun you are happy with and carry it.....a 22,25or32acp in your pocket is better than any 44 left in the car or at home....jmo
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out a SW9VE 9mm it is very light and very thin profile. Trigger is slightly heavy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
choice #1www.colt.com/CMCI/Defender.asp

choice #2www.kahr.com/front.html

You should do your self a favor and check these out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Glock 27 .40 cal for my off duty use, but I am looking into a Para Ordnance 14.40 LDA as my next purchase.  Here's a pic:

http://www.paraord.com/pages/ldahighcap.html#1440

I like the Glock, but I've always been a big fan of 1911 style weapons and the Double Action only trigger feel has really grown on me.  The Para has all of that and then some with the huge mag capacity.
You may also want to check Kimber, they just released a brand new carry 1911 .45 ACP that is opening allot of eyes.  Expensive though... :(
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably get eaten alive for this here but my usual carry is a colt pony pocketlite .380 (custom melt by Scott McDougal).  It disapears under any clothing, in any pocket and, as a result, is always there.  

First rule of a gunfight is have a gun.

That said, my job does not put me in any significant risk and I have the G23 in .40 for times when I want more security.  If you are going to stop carrying the bigger gun (as you've done before) go for a smaller package.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
choice #1www.colt.com/CMCI/Defender.asp

www.colt.com/CMCI/images/Defender_O7000D.jpg

choice #2www.kahr.com/front.html

www.kahr.com/images/kp4044.gif

You should do your self a favor and check these out.

Yeah, gotta go with a Kahr PM-9
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
hey nh, if you're interested in something like this, I know a shop that has one with a shrouded hammer for around $250. That will save me from the temptation of buying it myself. IM me for details. BTW, this is the lightweight .38spl. I'd also look at one of the compact glocks, a kahr pm9 or the colt defender if you want a lightweight 1911 type.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top