Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2003 3:07:45 PM EDT
ive just started doing the research for this upcoming purchase and its a tougher decision than it was picking out a 24" upper for my ar.
im looking for best fit, finish and accuracy for $1500
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I think most here would tell you Wilson.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You can fund a gently used Wilson for that price. Just be patient.

Oh and when you find it JUMP, it won't last long.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'll throw two in here since I just went through the same thing.  It seems like you can have one built for not much more than $1500.  Wilsons as I understand are assembled and as a rule will not be hand fit.  The 1911 builder that I (at this very moment) have an order with has in the past built slides for wilson. I am waiting on a 1911 with a les baer frame that is hard chromed, hunter slide that is coated, tuned ejector, hand lapped slide frame fit,extended mag well, tritium adjustable sights, checkered everything, bla, bla, bla, you get the picture, for not much more than 1,500.  I wouldn't let just anyone take on a project like this with your money but you might consider shopping around for some custom smiths that will build it to your specs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Although at $1685 retail it’s a bit more than your stated price, a Les Baer TR Special is a fantastic gun and IMO currently the best deal in semi-custom 1911s.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
These are not really considered "custom", but you can't get a true custom gun for $1500.

Les Baer TRS or Premier II
Valtro
Used Wilson CQB or Protector ($1500 won't get a new one)
Rock River Arms
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
STI.

It's what the competition shooters are using.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
A lightly used Wilson CQB......
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt, Special Combat Govt Model (colts custom shop)

Hand fitted and finished, shipped with target to prove accuracy guarantee
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Although at $1685 retail it’s a bit more than your stated price, a Les Baer TR Special is a fantastic gun and IMO currently the best deal in semi-custom 1911s.

I'll throw my vote in here. I have a LBC TRS and I LOVE it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Listen to AJohnston
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks ill look at the les baer . seems like a lot of gunsmiths use LB  frames including ed brown.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#12]
another option i have is to have my kimber worked over. if i did this should i reuse the barrel, bushing , trigger assem.? theyre supposed to be match grade parts.? thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Rock River Arms is most certainly custom, and is, by far the best 1911 available at it's price point. Short of sending $2500 to the top gunsmiths in the nation, you cannot do better.

Damian
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If used is ok:
1st - Ed Brown Kobra (if you can find one)
2nd - WC CQB/Protector
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Rock River Arms is most certainly custom, and is, by far the best 1911 available at it's price point. Short of sending $2500 to the top gunsmiths in the nation, you cannot do better.

Damian

Ho hum, I guess we have to define "custom" before we can intelligently argue this.  Certainly RRA is no better than LBs, WCs or EBs of comparable price.  Are they "custom" as well?

Or do you determine it from how long it takes you to get the gun.  "Well, it's a 1 year wait to get an RRA, so it's custom.  A Les Baer only takes 3 weeks, so it's semi-custom."
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I would vote on Les Baer. I purchased a Monolith HW w/1.5"gar. and have a second frame ordered.

I would build your own. $1,500 should be enough to start a nice project.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr. Shootist,

My statement is based on the fact that Rock River will configure a pistol to your specs as long as those specs are safe, and well thought out. Can you get a Wilson with Heinie sights? A Baer with Ed Brown grip safety? An Ed Brown in Black-T finish? The resounding answer to the above questions is no. RRA, would build you that pistol.

As to the quality. I wonder how many opportunities you have had to inspect/fire these pistols side by side. I have. I do sell RRA products. I also sell Ed Brown, Wilson, Les Baer and Nowlin. there is no scientific test involved in the opinion I have stated. the only reason I even replied to this thread was to give 2002gti something else to think about. It seems I am the only member here who owns an RRA 1911, so I thought I would introduce him. The criteria given were accuracy, fit and finish. I am confident that I offered good information.

If I have offended, or otherwise ruffled someone's feathers here, I apologize. I do not "hang out" here, I contributed to the site to help support it, and I contribute to threads to support fellow shooters. That's it!

Be well!

*edited to correct annoying grammatical errors.*
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Baer TRS

Ed Brown anything

Rock River is very capable of building pistols that will stand with anyone elses out there, but I have only seen two...both were scary accurate!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#19]
wow, very nice words about rra indeed. same responses i got when i was shopping for an upper for my ar and i went rra. will the price be lower for the limited match ($1500) or a built to order gun? can i get a better price through a dealer? thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I like RRA’s 1911s as they do allow one a great may options including ones personal sight preferences…. which may very well be the most important. However, the extended wait time would and has always made me hesitant to order a gun from them and thus I rarely ever recommend them to prospective buyers. With that being said they still make a quality product that is more towards the “custom” end of the “semi-custom” market.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#21]
AJ,

You own a Professional Model, don't you?

Damian
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I like Les Baer pistols.  The TRS would make an excellent choice.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
AJ,

You own a Professional Model, don't you?

Damian

Not really but kind of at the same time. I have a gun built by Jim Hoag that, minus the ambi-safety, is configured to FBI spec’s. I have come very close to buying a Springfield Pro-Model a few times and they’re very good guns with a relatively cool namesake. All of the ones I’ve handled have been good examples of a quality custom gun and I would love to find one of the 200+\- that were marked “Bureau Model”.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top