Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2003 8:26:57 AM EDT
I've heard a lot of horror stories about this particular brand of .45, with a lot of folks saying that fit and finish, reliability, etc, are sadly lacking. Since Kahr Arms acquired them, their QC has supposedly been on the upswing. Anyone with any recent experience with this brand?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've not seen any difference from the newer ones that I've seen in stores. The difference may not even be noticeable, it may only be found when shooting?

I'd take the same amount of $$$ & buy a used Colt or SA, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Had one of the older ones.  As long as I fed it hardball thru GI mags it worked fine.  Any other combination got hit or miss.

Traded it off because I didn't like the original military style sights, too small.

All in all I considered it a decent gun, no real complaints.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, for what it is worth, shortly after passing the 650 round mark, the front sight and plunger tube came unstaked from my 1911PKZ (WWII Parkerized) A-O.

I purchased it in May 2002, so I believe that I have one of the "improved" Auto-Ordnances.  

I am currently saving up for a Springfield (as I should have done in the FIRST place......)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, Clark Custom won't perform many of their customization jobs on an AO 1911. They say the slide and barrel lugs are too soft and don't lend themselves to machining very well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard they were cast and always were the least expensive of all the 1911 types, until Norinco came out.
Some did come in a hideous chrome plating for a while too.
One I had years ago was great at 25 yards and lasted forever.
But I seem to always have the opposite luck from most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top