Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 3:37:31 PM EDT
Hello, I was at the range today and I was shooting a Springfield Loaded 1911 pistol. I have 4 brand new Wilson mags that I used with it along with some Winchester 230 grain hollow point bullets. Out of 50 rounds I had 3 FTF problems and they were all on the last round. Can anyone tell me what the problem may be? I know that the 1911's have problems shooting hollow points and thats why people have work done on them but if it only does it on the last round it seems like that might not be the whole problem. I also shot 50 rounds of the same ammo with no hollow point without any problems. Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Awfull hard to diagnose with out seeing the failure. What's the brand of the ammo? Does it do the same with other brands of HP? Other Weights?

What is the position of the cartrige when the ftf occurs?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the mags 7 or 8 rounders?  Many times the 8 round mags don't get the last round up in time for the slide to pick it up correctly.  Try some Metalform 7-round mags and see how they work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
When it fails the action is locked all of the way back as if the last round was fired and the bullet is loose not jammed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
How old is the gun and how many rounds have been fired through it in all?  Maybe it just needs some more breaking in.  Some guns need it, some guns don't.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased it used off of the EE and theguy told me it had 200-300 rounds fired. It had more than that for sure. Since then I have put 200.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Best guess is............

Your slide stop is being engaged prematurely. More than likely it's the ammunition that's causing it.

As the Hollow Point is slightly shorter in overall length than the FMJ, and being the last round in the mag it's being shifted forward in the Magazine.

The end diameter of the hollow point is most likely slightly larger in diameter than the FMJ and is contacting the slide stop causing it to lock the slide back.

Check the slide stop for any sign of copper from the nose of the bullets. Polishing of the contact area, or switching to a narrower HP design should cure the problem.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]
SGB got it, I think, but there is also the possibility that you just may be engaging the slide stop with your thumb(s). This is not likely if you are shooting in slowfire mode, but in rapid fire, especially if the HPs have a bit more recoil than the FMJs, you may either be shifting the grip under recoil, or the recoil may be driving the gun deeper into your grip until the stop is engaged. More probably though, it is the slide stop itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top