Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 10:36:25 PM EDT
I am looking for suggestions on 22lr pistol.  I have limited knowledge on either of the 2 I have listed above.  Basically it will be used for plinking, throwing in a pack for hiking and for my wife to shoot.  I would like to be able to put a scope on it of some type, but would rather it have a factory rail or be taped from the factory for a mount so I don't have the added expense of having it done.  

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two pistols?  Or maybe a suggestion of a different one that might meet what I am looking for?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are great.  I've owned two or three of each at one time or another, and liked them all.  But the P-22 has a definate coolness factor:

They both have scope mounts that are easy to attach; the P-22 has a rail that the scope clips to and B-Square (I think) makes a replacement grip with a scope mount that is pretty easy to attach to the MKII.

Personally I think you should get both!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider a red dot vs scope,loads of fun.I have had both a cheep $35 unit (you know the one)and a tasco  pro point ($85?) on my Mark II .The tasco is the one that goes back most often   NHSPORT
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I own both.  Just got my P22

I love them both.  Both are extremly accurate, both are extreamly fun to shoot.

I agree the P22 has the coolness factor and the acessory factor.  just ordered the 3.4 inch barrel as well.

Hard choice.  I say get them both

I can't imagine giving either of them up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it me or is that P22 a better looking gun?

P22 definitely.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I vote for the Ruger.  I have a buddy with a couple of P22's.  They are cool when they are running but are ammo picky.  And their trigger sucks compared to the Ruger.  They look cool though and are more like a scaled-down centerfire pistol than a .22.

How much are extra mags?  You probably want 6-8 and if the mags are a rip on the Walther you are going to be paying a bundle.  Ruger mags are what, $12?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I vote for the Ruger.  I have a buddy with a couple of P22's.  They are cool when they are running but are ammo picky.  And their trigger sucks compared to the Ruger.  They look cool though and are more like a scaled-down centerfire pistol than a .22.

How much are extra mags?  You probably want 6-8 and if the mags are a rip on the Walther you are going to be paying a bundle.  Ruger mags are what, $12?

I agree the Ruger trigger is better, and easer to modify i.e Volquartzen.

if your going for serious target accuracy, a bull barrel Ruger is the way to go.  but for just fun and acessories, go P22.

I still stand by getting both.  Just get both.

PS
P22 mags $20
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't have a P22, but it looks cool.  Do have a MK II.  Pluses - accurate, relatively inexpensive.  Minuses - pain in the ass to clean, doesn't shoot cheap ammo very well.  I usually use CCI for a little hotter load.  I would probably rather have one that is a little more concealable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.  I must say that the P22 has the coolness factor by far.  Especially when you add the red dot or silencer.  I am kinda leaning that way.  If I were to get a MKII I would want the heavy barrel.  But that brings us to a problem with a MKII then.  To be able to put a silencer on the MKII I am assuming that you have to have the barrel threaded where as a P22 it would be a simple barrel change?  I was also considering the cost of mags and their is quite a bit of difference between the two.  How picky is the P22 about the ammo it eats?  I picked up 10,000 rounds of Remington Golden bullet value packs at a gun show for $80.00 so which ever gun is chosed it will need to eat that ammo for now.

Keep the feed back coming.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I own both, P22 gets more use, but 22/45 works better at longer range due to longer barrel. P22 likes CCI Velocitor, 22/45 likes most anything. Look at a 22/45 Ruger vs. the MkII, mag changes are easier for me, they come heavy barreled.

Get both?

Danny
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
MM419-

What is the difference between the 22/45 and the MKII?  It is just the frame on the gun isn't it?  Would you happen to have a pic of the 22/45?

Thanks?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a S&W .22A for my girlfriend and boy talk about finicky!  That thing will only shoot Remington ammo, everything else causes two or three jams per magazine.  For the 200 bucks I paid I'd rather have another MAK-90.  So I don't recommend the .22A.

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
MM419-

What is the difference between the 22/45 and the MKII?  It is just the frame on the gun isn't it?  Would you happen to have a pic of the 22/45?

Thanks?

Different mags, .22/45 has a plastic frame and a different grip angle designed to be like the 1911.  22/45's controls are designed to be like the 1911 too.  Difference in the way the guns handle is a lot like the difference between a Luger (Standard Mk. II) and a 1911 (22/45).

I had the guy at Lakeside Machine (Eric) turn down my heavy barrel and thread it.  He did a great job, it was like $95.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
MM419-

Thanks?

I'll get a pic up for you in a little while, cooking now.

Here ya go.

Shown with my Kimber Compact Custom so you can get the idea of the controls being in basically the same place.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
The only ammo problem I have had is the cheap Winchester Super X 500 round bricks.  The VERY short flat front of that bullet catches on the feed ramp of my MKII and jams every shot.  all other ammo, cheap or expencive, hardly ever gives me problems in my MKII

I have only shot my p22 once so far.  I shot cheap $8 for 500 rounds Federal.  shout about a hundred rounds and no jams, 20 rounds of Remington sub sonic, no jams, and 30 rounds of that Agulia only primer super quiet stuff.  does not cycle of course because it does not have enough reciol.  but I had no other problems, and it makes un knowlagable people think my dummy silencer is real because the ammo is so quiet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The Ruger is the industry std. all 22 pistols are judged by. The Walther looks more james bondy but it's not a Ruger in any way. They got the function problems fixed, no need to replace the barrel they are threaded from the factory just an adapter from metric to US std. is needed.

The walther fits in the hand nicely but it's just a plinker, not a target pistol like the Ruger or Buckmark.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Also you list WA in your profile so silencers are pointless to you. While you may legally own them in WA state it is against state law to use them on a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Have a MKII  6-7/8" Gov't. barrel and enjoy it very much. Very accurate and no probs whatsovever feeding it (tried 9-10 loads).

P22 is a good looking pistol. Doubt it could ever be a dedicated target gun though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Also you list WA in your profile so silencers are pointless to you. While you may legally own them in WA state it is against state law to use them on a firearm.

Thanks for the above gun law info.  But I am well versed on Washington State firearms laws.  A silencer is not "pointless to me" as you say, there are several states that surround me that allow them.  And who's to say I will stay in this state forever.  It was a simple question.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#19]
The Ruger is the hands down choice as far as I am concerned.The accuracy is as good as it gets ,aftermarket accessories abound,its a modern classic,and I have never seen  a Walther .22 that was not a jamomatic.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Mickey Mouse,My experience with the P22 is limited so I should probably have kept my opinions to myself.My only experience with Walther rimfires are my interarms TPH which is a total piece of crap,jams about once per mag.I never get rid of guns so I still have it.My only other experience is with a friends P22 he bought when they were new on the market ,His jammed alot with everything,the safety was flimsy ,did not positively engage and just seemed cheesey,He has since dumped it.This was enough to turn me off on the Walther .22s  
            Mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The Ruger is the industry std. all 22 pistols are judged by.

Really? I have a model 41 S&W that I would put up against your Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Ruger is the industry std. all 22 pistols are judged by.

Really? I have a model 41 S&W that I would put up against your Ruger.

No need to call anyone out. The Ruger guns ARE the standard by which all other guns are judged. Not saying they are the most reliable, pretty, cool looking or anything else, BUT, they are the standard.
Most if not all suppressor manufacturers make suppressors for/test with the Ruger Mk II and the Ruger 10/22. Also, of all the gun accessory makers, Ruger guns have more selection of aftermarket parts going for them.

Almost for got, I have had the P22 and now own the Ruger 22/45 blued with Solow mounts and Simmons red dot. Its super easy to take own and put back together and has no problem shooting HV or Colibri ammo.
See link for easy dissassembly/reassembly
www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip_quick.htm
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I would bet that $850 model 41 would hold its own pretty well against a $250 ruger
                 Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#25]
MarkII probably the best .22 I have ever had, just a pain in the ass to reassemble after cleaning.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]
MK II - the government model with the bull barrell.  Fantastic shooter!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 22/45 with a red-dot and it often makes trips to the range. Like MM419 said, the controls are set up like the 1911, that made it a plus with me.

I shot a buddies P22 one day, it was a little small for my hands although it shot fine. Nice pack gun.

I'll agree with the buy both choice. You wont go wrong with either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top