Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2003 7:11:22 PM EDT
What do you guys think about the Charles Daly .45.  I shot one the other day and liked it very well, but have never owned a .45.  I have heard they shoot really well and are made to perform.  I don't remember the model #, but I know it was the top of the line stainless model, maybe the EFS Empire?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only handled one, and was impressed. It was a trade in, one of the tattoo guys I know traded a $300 tattoo for it, and from what I understand, that was one hell of a deal.
2nd hand info only though, never shot it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Bob Munden told me CD is the best in the biz with 45 1911 style build or mods.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#3]
most everyone seems to claim they are junk.  i bought one of the full size fs models several years ago -- still have it.  i had heard most of the stories about their problems but thought the price was pretty compelling.  gun shop let me field strip it and look it over.  put it back together, had the shop give me a handfull of snap caps; loaded the mags and hand cycled them thru with no problems.  bought the gun.  only problem was that the last spent round had a tendency to be "yanked" back into the lips of the mags.  paid $350 for it, a box of .45 pmc cartridges and a .45 brass bore brush.  
took it apart, cleaned it really well; dremel polished the ramp; put it a ed brown extractor, firing pin and firing pin stop; wolff recoil and firing pin springs. (i think all of that cost me about $40/$45.  tuned the extractor -- flawless gun; very accurate.  stumbled across some mccormick double diamond rosewood grips in a gun shop, $20.   gun looks great and shots great.   i have heard the newer enhanced models are fine from the box.  i like it when the boys with the stainless colts come over and what to know what i'm shooting.  mcole
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Just me, but sometimes I almost like having a 'junk' gun (AK, etc).  It forces you to *know* your weapon, either by cutting off problems (hopefully from the start) such as mcole did with replacement extractor, firing pin and pin stop, and recoil and firing springs.  You super strip the gun, replace these things, do some polishing, and really understand how it works.  Failure to extract?  Well, by this point you know the complete extraction and chambering cycle (from the ramps you polish to the new extractor, how it should work and how it probably is working...  

I'd stick with Springfield Armory and go from there though.  =)
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have always liked the look and feel of them whenever I check em out at the gunshow.  But I've never much about them.  I'm surprised the "THEY SUCK, steer clear" crowd hasn't chimed in.  

It's nice to see some good reviews though!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one. it shoots very well. I have had, I know its hard for some to belive, zero problems with it. I shoot it pretty much every time I go out shooting and I am very happy with the 350 I spent on it.

Here it is:
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys will notice that the above is one of the newer Enhanced pistols, as differentiated from the older POS pistols by the Novak style rear sight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Rumor has it the the Charles Daly's are being made by Dan Wesson.  I just got 2 DW's and they are SCHWEET!

The Daly's may be a real steal (if it's true) unless you worry about resale values.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry.  The CD is made by Armscor in the Philippines, the same ones that make the Rock Island pistols.

Dan Wessons are made in New York.

I am very impressed with both CDs and DWs for the price.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
kpel is right. All the literature that came with my gun and the sticker on the hard case all say Made in the Philippines
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Slightly off topic, but I love my Dan Wesson Patriot SS .45 ACP.  Best $$$ I have spent on a handgun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be proud to have a new Daly or a Dan Wesson.  Of course, the extended slide stop will have to go on the Charles Daly (big hands + big slide stop  = malfunctions)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top