Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 8:50:30 AM EDT
I was seeking advice regarding a good conceal and carry piece.  I'm not very big so I need something pretty small.  I have a Sig 229 that would be great except that it is simply too big and heavy to be comfortable and not print so we are talking about something pretty small here.  

These days there are a boatload of options, and I'm kinda lost.  My first dilema is auto vs revolver.  Would a 357 or 45 colt (or heck, maybe even a 22 mag) snubbie be a better choice than an auto?  If I go with an auto there are tons of options.  I have been considering the Kahr line, some of the micro 1911's and of course the baby glocks and sigs.  Do people have other suggestions?  In an auto I think I would prefer a 45 or 9mm.  I find the sharp recoil impulse of the 40 to be distasteful in small pistols.

Here is the final stipulation...  It has to be comfortable to shoot.  I want something that I will have fun practicing with.  Help me guys!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Based on your specs, my personal first choices would be a Sig P239 in 9mm, or a Sig P245 .45. Have had both and currently still have my P245. Very nice compact .45.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
That makes 3 for the P239 or P245.  Of course, there's always the Officer's Model 1911 and copies, but there are trade-offs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It's no secret that I like my Kahr K9 and P9.  However I also have an older Sig P225 that I use to carry a lot.  For me the Glocks just don't fit my hand.  Sometimes I carry my PPK, but have pretty much replaced it with the Kahrs.  Basically the same size but a full 9mm.  I use +P+ ammo in mine and it is kinda snappy in the polymer P9.  The Sig P239 is a fine gun, but I've only shot it in 357 Sig, again kinda snappy, but certainly controlable.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't go wrong with the P239. I recommend Hogue rubber grips, particularly if you have large hands. They don't add to the size.

An alternative, if you want a significantly larger caliber, is the Kimber Ultra Carry. It is virtually the same size as the P239, and packs 6+1 in .45 ACP, and has about the same recoil and flip as a full-size 1911.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I use either my Glock 36 or Springfield full sized 1911A1 for concealed carry. The important thing is to carry something that is both comfortable for you to carry and to shoot. If at all possible you should try the gun before you buy. Either rent one or try a buddies. Good luck.

Jamie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top