Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2002 7:20:53 PM EDT
What's your perspective on the handling, size, quality, accuracy, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one. Real good gun, well made, good materials. One or two sharp edges out of the box but nothing 5 minutes with emory cloth didn't solve.

Reliability was good. Had a few FTFs in the first 50 rounds but after another 50 and a good clean and lube, I had no futher problems.

What I didn't like about the gun is despite its small size, it was heavy and a little wide. I bought it for something smaller and lighter than my Kimber Compact that I normally carry and it didn't really fill that need.

Not much fun to shoot, either. The short backstrap concentrates a lot of energy in a small portion of your hand - Corbons and Tritons are nasty; that said, it's not a recreational gun and it's a lot of power in a small package.

I did eventually sell it and got an STI LS40. That gun is thinner and carries better for me and being a single action and a near 1911, it's much closer in feel to my CCW and competition 1911s that I handle so much. The STI is significantly softer shooting too.

The MK40 is still a good gun though, if its what suites you. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone or even use one myself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info stipilot! Right now I carry a S&W 5 shot .38 in my pocket, but am looking for something more powerful without giving up size to do it.  I know the Mk-40 weighs more than my S&W, but I like the size with the potency.  I would get it strictly for concealed carry purposes.  I have plenty of other pistols that are fun to shoot and handle so I won't feel too badly if the gun is not at the top of my "best handling" list.  My wife has a Kahr P9, but I'd like something even smaller.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
STIpilot, please give us a full run-down on your LS40.  I heard there were some "reliability issues" after they first came out.

Thanks.  (got an SV myself :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top