Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 5:08:32 PM EDT
Are they any good?  How does it compair to the 229?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Great pistol. My buddy, he's on here, just got one. I'll tag this and have him post later when i can get a hold of him. He bought his for carry.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The P-239 is AWSOME...it is a small single stack pistol that has a great grip right out of the box.  It is a tiny heavy at the slide but it is german made (frame) and works like a mercedes.  Expect a little play between the frame and the slide, that is normal...gun is accurate and the decocker is really nice when you want to just chamber a round and go! I recomend night sites if you can afford them...look up the fine folks at www.sportingarms.com they have excelent prices, and if you need a great holster and are a lefty I have a top of the line C-tac holster for the P-239 for sale!!!!!
Good luck, and oh how it campares to the bigger dog...it is smaller that's all i could tell! Barrel is a little longer so you can use heavier rounds, but i have NO problem shooting 180 grain .40 S&W  Another great quality of the P-239, if you buy the .40 or.357 you can just buy a second barrel and magazine and interchange the two easily 9mm as well i believe.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are they any good?  How does it compair to the 229?

Are they any good?  Hell yeah.  In comparison to the 229, it's basically a slightly more compact, single stack version.  It looks similar to the 229 in most respects, and will even share the same holsters (minor tollerances permitting).  I've had my 239 .40 for years and can only sing praises about it.  Break in only took a couple hundred rounds, and it's been smooth as silk ever since.

Oh, and if you do get yourself one, get Hogue's rubber grip for it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 239 myself and it is a decent little pistol. It rattles like a trap because of the loose slide to frame fit, but the pistol is still more accurate than I am. The trigger is better than most DA pistols out there.

My gun had some teething problems out of the box but cleaning the mags and the pistol real well helped clear them up.

The 239 is my summer carry gun. I carry it wearing just a T-Shirt untucked to hide it. Nobody is the wiser.

That being said, I still wish it was good single action .45. But that's just because I am old fashioned...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the P239. EXCEPT-IMHO the factory grips are TRASH. Get the Hogue finger grips and all is well. BTW, the .40 model can be converted to .357SIG, but the 9MM stays 9MM-no conversions.
VERY accurate pistol with very little barrel. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally like the factory grips
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info..  I am going to get one also.  I think in .357 sig..  I keep you guys posted.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one in 9mm and I have carried it daily for 3 years. Great gun, zero problems, very accurate. The Nitron has held up very well to daily carry in a leather holster. My slide to frame fit is tight as a drum and it has remained that way through some 3000 rounds. I love this pistol and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
B9

Edit to add: I have tried all grips and the Hogue rubbers are too sticky, they grab my shirt and ride it up. The Nills and Hogue wood grips make the grip as fat as a 228, compromising the advantage of a slim single stack. I use factory plastics with zero complaints. This way the pistol is as slender as it was designed to be, great for carry!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Carried one when I was doing executive protection work.  The only thing I didn't like about it was it was a 9mm!  (Caliber was dictated by state law.)
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, TSA went with it in .357 Sig for their Air Marshals.  I can't think of a more similar job in terms oif tactical use of a weapons to relate to civilian carry - in both cases concealabilty paramount, it will likely never be used, but when used must be effective and not overpenetrate.

I've shot one - I liked, but still too big for my deep concealment needs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Side note...I say side note because who ever considers cost in this line of hobby...but .357 SIG is a good bit more expensive to shoot than .40...also consider a Lasermax internal laser...love mine to death
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
, but still too big for my deep concealment needs.

No kidding? Darn. I have been thinking about one for my g/f when she gets her skill level up to having a semi and carrying. A friend of mine has one and it seems like a fairly good size, but if you can't hide it she won't be able to.

I am extremly oversensitive about printing/ etc.  Legal concealed carry is not an option for me most of the time.  FWIW, I am 6 ft, 175 lbs.

The Sig P232 comes in a shade thinner and smaller, and disappears at my waistband or in a pocket.  I am one of those "it's not the caliber of the gun, but the caliber of the shotter" types, so the anemic round doesn't bother me so much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info..  I am going to get one also.  I think in .357 sig..  I keep you guys posted.

Don't! Get one in 9mm. The .357 sig doesn't do much (if any) better in tests than the 9mm with 124 grain +P Gold Dots. But 9mm is sure a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot than .357 sig. (I speaks because I know...)

Practice with a pistol like this one is critical and all that extra expense and muzzle blast isn't necessary to get the job done. The good .357 sig loads offer negligible advantage over the good 9mm loads. Look at the terminal effects forum at TacticalForums.com for more info...

Take care
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top