Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 10:27:40 AM EDT
I found a bottle adapter for my Walther P22 that would allow me to screw on a empty pop bottle to use as a silencer. However I think this would be illegal. Do you have to have a permit for every silencer your own or just have a Silencer permit?? Also Would this even be a effective way of silencing a pistol?? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's very effective on several points, the least of which will get you 10 years & a $250,000 fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Each individual supressor has to be registered and the $200 tax paid. Even a bottle requires this since it is a sound reducing device, regardless of its effectiveness. You would have to do the Form 1, get the CLEO signoff, fingerprints, etc. Sort of a hassle but much less than sharing a cell and showering with Tyrone for the next few years.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
your profile shows MO so no silencers for you.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
whatever the legalities, a pop bottle silencer is just we todd did.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
You better stop this thread before they ban PEPSI! then only criminals will have PEPSI!
can I fill out a form 4 for a recycleable PEPSI bottle? at $200 that would be really expensive!LOL
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea It does seem alittle crazy, However I'm curious to know if it would even have any effect on the sound of the shots fired?

I'm not trying to do anything illegal, I know know it's illegal so it's out of the question, but I'm still curious to know if it would even effect the sound?

Thanks
jerad
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
i think you have been watching too much steven seagal movies I really doubt a bottle will do shit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The bottle would have to have a seal around the barrel, thats why real silencers are thread-ons, to keep all the preasure in the "can" So a pop bottle probably wouldn't change much. Then, you also have the problem of keeping the bullet sub-sonic. With .22 it's not a big problem, but I WOULD NOT dare put my hands in front of a barrel while firing, IE: holding the bottle.
Interesting thing I saw on Americas most wanted, some bad guy used a potato to silence a .25 got no idea how that works though!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Pop bottle adapter+bottle filled with styrafoam shipping peanuts+subsonic 22lr= pffft.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
When I CCW my NAA .22 I carry a few baby potatoes in my pocket for the "quiet work".  When I have my Kel Tec with me, I always carry a regular sized potato or two "just in case".  For duty, with the 1911, I carry a full size sweet potato in a weak side holster.  If there is any question with the BATF, I just tell them I'm Irish, and don't like to be without a few potatoes at any time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top