Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 6:56:07 PM EDT
Can anybody recommend a good .45 1911A gunsmith? I'm thinking about starting my own DET-1 project. A friend of mine has a NIB Kimber custom Series 1 that would be my starting point. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gunsmith Modifications:
(1.) Install Dawson rail
(2.) Install Ed Brown grip safety w/ memory bump
(3.) Install Smith+Alexander main spring housing with lanyard ring
(4.) Install King's thumb safety
(5.) Pistol refinish
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Great idea...starting on a friend's gun!
All but #1 and #5 you should be able to do.
Forget #5 if gun is stainless, you can refinish it as you desire, sandblast, glass bead, polish or brush, etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Cylinder & Slide would be my choice for premium work. Robar Industries in AZ (I think) would be the one for refinishing.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Might want to try this one:
BigBore Lead Delivery Systems
2848 E. Bell Rd., #107
Phoenix, AZ 85032
(602) 923-1416
I have not personally used this guy, but he builds 1911s from scratch, and guarantees ultra-tight groups on the ones he builds. He also handles other brands of factory pistols, so he's not snobbish against other brands.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
For a DET-1 type project, there is nobody you should consider outside of Chuck Rogers. www.rogersprecision.com.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
There are dozens of capable smiths that can do the job you're looking at.  However, some problems you can run into with high-end smiths are:

(1) Some have 1-5 year backlogs
(2) Some have an "angry artist" mentality and believe they are doing you a favor by building your gun.
(3) Some have ridiculous pricing.

My personal favorite is Bob Hunter of Hunter Customs: www.huntercustoms.com.  He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, does outstanding work, and has reasonable prices.  And he'll probably be able to get to you within a few months.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can anybody recommend a good .45 1911A gunsmith? I'm thinking about starting my own DET-1 project. A friend of mine has a NIB Kimber custom Series 1 that would be my starting point. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gunsmith Modifications:
(1.) Install Dawson rail
(2.) Install Ed Brown grip safety w/ memory bump
(3.) Install Smith+Alexander main spring housing with lanyard ring
(4.) Install King's thumb safety
(5.) Pistol refinish

NOVA GUNWORKS out of Springfield, VA.

I have heard nothing but great things about this shop and it's located in your home state. Both father and Son are Guild members. They are listed in the yellow pages, Northern Virginia Gun Works.

Semper-Fi, DD out!!  
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Art Leckie for my custom work

www.leckiecustomguns.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top