Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 5:43:43 PM EDT
Woohooo!!!  Bought a new .45apc today at the local gunshops annual sale. 12 mos same as cash allows a bit of shopping.

I took home a NIB S&W99. I wanted a Walther but Walther doesn't make a .45, they only make a .40 & 9mm & I have enough 9mm's right now, IMO.

I went immediately to the range & ran a box thru it. Recoil seemed to be "snappy" for a .45, even more than my USP. I'm thinking the slide on the 99 is a bit lighter/smaller?

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong trigger pull if one fires it DA but not bad on the SA side. Sights had to be adjusted for windage but elev was right on the money.

I did have 2-3 failures to chamber, most likely the problem was my grip as I adjusted to the gun. After that I had no more problems.

Accuracy with PMC ammo was just fine, 3-4" groups @ 25 yards. No doubt this will get better as I learn the gun.

Would like to hear from any other 99 owners & tell me anything you think I should know.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
ummmmmmmmmmm... pics?

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the purchase. Gotta love the process of getting to know the nuances of a new gun.
I'm holding on a purchase, hoping Santa will be good to me and one of the 1911s in the family will come my way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it not true that you can carry this pistol cocked? After you fire that first round just don't push the decocker and thus you have a single action trigger pull,right? I am going to get on of these as well. I think S&W got this one pistol right. I only wished it held two more rounds though, it would make an excellent duty pistol if it did!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it not true that you can carry this pistol cocked? After you fire that first round just don't push the decocker and thus you have a single action trigger pull,right?

Or simply don't hit the decocker after you cycle the slide to load.

It seems to be a nicely balanced design, the barrel is only 4-1/4" long, kinda like a Commander sized 1911.

Once I get a few hundred rds thru it, it may be another carry gun for me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it feels better in the hand and points better than I SIG 220, what do you think? I just hope it shoots as good as a 220, if so than S&W has a winner!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think it feels better in the hand and points better than I SIG 220, what do you think? I just hope it shoots as good as a 220, if so than S&W has a winner!

It seems to balance better for me than a Sig P-220 or P-226, probably due to size. My SW99 already shoots better than my P-220 did.

The one I bought was the only .45 version the gunshop had in stock so I'm guessing they're selling halfway decent anyway?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top