Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 2:26:21 PM EDT
I bought a Springfield Armory XD-9 and V-12 ported 1911A1 pistol and am absolutely amazed at the lack of Springfield Armory's quality control. The first 20 rds I shot out of the XD-9 the front sight flew of. Luckily..the retailer I bought it from replaced the gun. I have not even shot the V-12 and the back sight comes right out of the dovetail slot. Unfortunately..The retailer was online and can/will not replace it! WHAT IS HAPPENING?

I'll let both go for under cost if someone wants to fix the rear sight on the V-12. The XD is a new replacement but I have to sell as is because I no longer trust S.A. Both guns are New and unfired.

I am going to stick with my Glocks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, stick with those Glocks, especially the ones with the "kaboom" record, eh?

One of the first things I've learned in here is that ALL mfgrs have put out lemons, even H&K. Since you bought one of your guns on-line, that would raise a red flag with me, IMO. Who knows what or how it was handled prior to you buying it?

As for the XD, Springfield doesn't make them, they simply put their name on them. Yes, I know they should still have SOME QC on it, I don't deny that at all.

I own two SA 1911s, one has had problems & I bought it used anyway & the other runs like a Rolex. Your rear sight problem should be easily fixed but should you want to take a beating on selling it off, I'm sure someone will help you out on that.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had a problem with any of the 4 Glocks I own but that is beside the issue at hand. I hope you are right. I look at these guns as guests that I want to kick out of my home. Keep in mind that these are brand new guns that I am having issues with. Not just one but 2. PS: the dealer I bought the V-12 from is a well respected internet dealer. If you have bought guns from the net...you have probably bought from him.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Put some locktite on it and problem solved. Still doesn't change the principle though!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, stick with those Glocks, especially the ones with the "kaboom" record, eh?

How many Glocks have you personaly seen that blew up?

I am not talking about the pictures on that asshole Dean Speir's website but things you have seen happen in person with your own eyes?

I will tell you how many you have seen.

Not a damn one.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for Speir is an asshole
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many Glocks have you personaly seen that blew up?

I am not talking about the pictures on that asshole Dean Speir's website but things you have seen happen in person with your own eyes?

I will tell you how many you have seen.

Not a damn one.

You tell him!!! I've got several Glocks and the only thing that ever goes Kaboom around here is my ass. Some folks are just priggish, pussy, pedantic, and poorly informed about polymer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
People with a lot of experience with ALL makes and models of pistols KNOW the Glock is a good reliable and durable pistol.

There has been k-booms mostly with reloads but there has not been as many as some wish for us to believe.

Dean Speir who claims to have all the facts will not give us any figures as to what % of the Glocks made has failed. I have asked him MANY times for these simple facts but he only replies with more BS.

He claims to have info on how many Glocks have failed and it should not be such a problem to find out how many have been made so the only reason he will not reply is the fact that it is a TINY fraction of one percent of the Glocks made that have K-boomed and mostly .40 caliber at that.

Another IDIOT posting about the frame rail problem said they were breaking at an ALARMING number.

It turns out that this problem was in ONE production run and the failure rate on that one run was less than one tenth of one percent and Glock is offering to replace the frames on ALL pistols made in that run for free.

The vast majority of Glock owners without the internet has never even heard of frame rail and k-boom problems because it is not a common thing.

When you take into account that Glock has made over a million pistols their failure rate is no more than ANY other big name gun maker.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
glocks feel cheap to me, but that's just my opinion...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
What will you need on the XD 9mm?

my email is dukeofurl at cfl.rr.com (typed out longhand to prevent spammers)
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
And no less than a lot of quality gun makers. So it seems they are not the answer to all problems some think them to be...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.indiemediamagazine.com/brokensa.jpg

Ouchie. Any ideas what caused this? I am assuming the POS brazilian steel was not the cause...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#13]
The only thing this thread suggests, which everyone should know by now, is that SA's QC sucks worse than Monica.  That's a reflection of the company, not the gun design.

Now, there's nothing wrong with the Glock.  It's a fine design if ones live-in boyfriend is too limp wristed to hold up a real gun with one hand, and it floats, too, another useful advantage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The only thing this thread suggests, which everyone should know by now, is that SA's QC sucks worse than Monica.  That's a reflection of the company, not the gun design.

Now, there's nothing wrong with the Glock.  It's a fine design if ones live-in boyfriend is too limp wristed to hold up a real gun with one hand, and it floats, too, another useful advantage.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Not to burst any bubbles on this subject. But I have owned the XD-40 for about a year now and have not had any problems with its ability to do the job correctly. I have put over 3000 rounds threw mine. Not one miss fire or jammed round or scwib load. And everyone that has asked to shoot it loves the way it feels and handles, even in and under hot temps. I rate this gun very high and would recomend it to anyone looking for a very reliable gun in all conditions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#17]
i love my XD9.  i've put 1000 rds through it since july with zero failures.  i'd give that one another chance.  this is the 1st time i've read something negative about them.

that slide is something else though.  ouch.  i have heard of problems with the mil spec 1911's which have made me wait in purchasing one.  dump that pistol for sure..but give the XD another chance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
My loaded stainless was not a jewel out-of-the-box by any stretch of the imagination!  The rear sight flew off on it's first trip to the range.  It jammed several times during the first 100 rounds (but that has seemed to clear up) and there were more sharp edges on it that a box of broken porcelain.

That being said, the slide/frame fit was excellent.  The trigger pull is excellent, and it is reanonably accurate for the money.  All-in-all I like the gun.  I dressed the edges with files and stones and it's now ending completion as a "home project" gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I have owned five Springfield 1911s over the years, and I am expecting a Professional to arrive in May. I have had no issues with reliabilty or accuracy. Obviously, this is just my story, there are 7,999,999 others. You purchase a product and you take a chance. Springfield has proven to me to be a great company to deal with.

As to the image posted above, that is an image of an older gun. The fault was found to be in the stainless steel. The issues were rectified.

Be well!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#20]
"yeah, stick with those Glocks......with the 'kaboom' record, eh?"

DAMN right I'll stick with my Glocks! These armchair idiots really rub me the wrong way. Maybe if you give one of these idiots a .40 Glock, a reloader and a few cases of soft cast bullets he might eventually make it go BOOM, and if you give a monkey a grenade he'll eventually pull the pin too.

I'll take a 9mm Glock (9mm for my own reasons)in a reliability, durability challenge against any other make of handgun period.

By reading these posts I feel I probably have more handgun experience than most and with more makes, models and calibers than I care to list and more than you would care to read. What you don't see me doing is bashing one brand or another, nearly any handgun is attractive for some reason or another. What I will do from time to time is bash these opinionated idiots who fire off their mouths (posts) with out any education/experience to support their claims.

BTW when I want another slick, smooth, accurate well crafted handgun I'll buy my 3rd Les Baer 19111. When I want a completely 100% reliable handgun I'll buy another 9mm Glock (which I pick up tomorrow).
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had reliability issues with the only two SA's I've owned (and also a safety issue with another).  The QC is bad, but so is the whole production lineup, the parts are cheap and poorly fitted. (grab the barrel on that V-12, try to move it from the front end {my guess is there is noticeable play in it.}) The bell of the coned barrel is not the same size as the ID of the slide it fits into, it is smaller.

There should be zero play in the barrel and slide in a properly fitted.

If you want a decent production 1911 get a Kimber.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#22]
One comment about a glock blowing up and half the glock owners on the board jump in with about every 4 letter word one could imagine.

Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The SA "loaded" 1911's are notorious for having the rear dovetail cut too wide.  It's quicker and easier to just slide in a Novak sight by hand and glue it in place with a half bottle of Loctite than it is to properly fit it.

At the price those things are going for, you have to realize there are corners being cut somewhere.  It doesn't mean it's a bad gun.

I don't know what the problem is on the XD.  I own three of them and haven't had problems, in fact the front sight is usually installed very tightly.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]
deleted
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Redman,
 I pesonally like SA's more than Glocks but you have the right idea. If anything caused me to not trust my 1911, I'd sell it in a heart beat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top